Nicolas Cage.....why does a talented actor, who had a promising start end up acting in B movies.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DeepFloyd11, Feb 25, 2017.

1. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I also never liked Cage's looks, something about that guy's face/head just bothers me, yuck.

[​IMG]

32XD Japan1 likes this.
  2. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I like Nicolas Cage! but it might be time to go tv!

3. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

I'm sure Cagey admires Godzilla a lot, what with the both of them being made of clay and all.

4. 32XD Japan1

32XD Japan1 Forum Resident

Totally whacked. Doofus!

5. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

I really like him for the most part. I think he's one of those actors that can give a great performance with the right directing.

SuntoryTime, Chris DeVoe and windfall like this.
  6. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Well, you should check out Joe. Recent film that is serious work. Yea he does a lot of crap, but he throws in a real film every now and then.

7. John Moschella

Please don't compare him to Al Pacino who has done a few bad film but mostly good work.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  8. John Moschella

Why does Cage make a lot of crappy (straight to video) movies? Because he can!

What's the problem, the guy wants to make a lot of money, you are free to avoid his films.

Here are his last 4 movies:

Army of One
    Dog Eat Dog (directed by Paul Schrader)
    Snowden (Oliver Stone)
    The Trust

Two of these directed by big names and with major co-stars. Great films?, certainly not, but not Steven Seagal material.

Chris DeVoe likes this.
  9. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

I don't think Depp is in the same boat in this regard (although his personal troubles may cause him problems). Depp is well regarded by the critics & has a background doing art house films - If the next blockbuster tanks, he'll shoot an indie or two. I can't see him doing direct to video like Cage, and he's older and more established than Fraser who really only had the Mummy franchise as a selling point to begin with.

An actor that is contemporary to Cage, peaked at the same time, and similarly talented would be Keanu Reeves - who went through a much shorter period of B movie purgatory in the late 00's

10. klaatuhf

klaatuhf Forum Resident

Ah yes I forgot about that one. Maybe his last good movie actually. He does so many these days they all start to blur in my memory and as you said so many bad ones its hard to remember the better ones as the get lost amongst the trash unfortunately.

11. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Seeing him at that film festival thing suggested that he's pretty self-aware. I think that, if he wanted to play along, he could carve out a later career like Christopher Walken where he's in on the joke.

I do think that he's a good actor that is capable of more than this, and that that route may be a bit of a dead end, but if he wants his work to be seen, there's an option.

On the other hand, I also think that he's one role away from a commercial and/or critical comeback. I'll admit, I kinda miss the guy.

willy and SuntoryTime like this.
  12. I think Cage's career is a lot like Michael Caines - they both have great talents and are capable of great performances but they are both happy to accept paychecks for every piece of crap they are offered in order to continue their extravagant movie star lifestyles. A valid option but I lost respect for both of them.

13. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

Michael Caine's reputation from the Jaws IV days has followed him around but I wouldn't say that much of his filmography has been garbage for the past 20 years or so. I mean there are some junky or failed films there but no more than for most actors who work steadily. It helps that Christopher Nolan keeps hiring him.

kevywevy likes this.
  14. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I friend of mine works as a bellman at a swanky hotel. Many years ago Vincent Price stayed the night. Another bellman struck up a conversation with Mr. Price and he aked him why he made so many B horror movies later in his career (in a diplomatic way). He answered "for the money my good man. Why else?" I'm sure Nicolas Cage has the same reason.

Blank Frank and SuntoryTime like this.
  15. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Mr. Price had a legendary taste for the finer things in life.

Blank Frank and Dr. Funk like this.
  16. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Cage was Producer, and I remember correctly it was his pet project.

17. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Dying Of The Light.
    Was pretty good, a slow burner.
    But..well acted.
    Cage disowned it apparently.

18. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

I think he is a fantastic actor ! I just think it might be time for him to go to tv!

alexpop likes this.
  19. Time Is On My Side

Time Is On My Side Forum Resident

I think the only thing I saw him in that I didn't like was National Treasure. Favorite is probably The Rock, but that had a lot of other good actors in it too.

20. alexpop

I checked IMDb ( yeah still go there).
    He has 5 upcoming films planned all b movie fodder. Shame, damn shame.

21. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

I liked Pauline Karl's line about cage many years ago, which was his performances are too precious and strange because he 'became an actor before he ever really became a person.'

22. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

That seems glib and illogical. There are plenty of actors who started way younger than Cage who don't give "precious and strange" performances...

23. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

I'm usually not drawn to the genre of films that Cage appears in (whatever that genre is). But an exception was Capt Correli's Mandolin of about 15 years ago or so. I thought Cage was adequate in that, but I also wonder how much more involving the picture would have been with someone more defined, more communicative, and perhaps English in that role.

24. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

Perhaps her point was that those younger actors were better-balanced or mature as people. IIRC, that quote was in relation to his desire to do extreme things for every role then - jeopardize your health by losing or gaining huge amounts of weight, having his front teeth removed ('Birdy'), sleeping in a coffin during the shoot ('Vampire's Kiss'), etc. I like Cage generally, but I think she was paraphrasing Olivier to Dustin Hoffman: 'Why don't you just try acting?'

25. alexpop

He needs a quality script.