Night Flight

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by DjBryan, Dec 26, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DjBryan

DjBryan New Member Thread Starter

Before the days of MTV, this was a reason for me to stay home, and get so much entertainment. Music, old cartoons I heard Porky Pig Swear, Cult Classics, Rutles almost anything, Night Flight had it. Anyone have an idea about availablity of video's? If I remember corectly, I voice of a woman hosted, than later, Katherine Kinley sp?. This was so much better that anything I could remember in the pre cable tv days in my area. Id love to get some uncut episodes. or have some thoughts to trigger my mind, Thanks :D

2. GaryW

GaryW New Member

I was a big fan of Night Flight too. I remember seeing a Frank Zappa concert from his "You Are What You Is" tour and would kill to have a copy of that...I havent' heard of any video/dvd releases, but would be first in line if they did release em.

3. reechie

reechie Senior Member

4. Ed Bishop

Ed Bishop Incredibly, I'm still here

Yeah, that show had its moments, but like all good things......

:ed:

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I remember the Night Flight with Porky Pig cussing....classic stuff!!!

6. JWB

JWB New Member

Those two shows (10/31/81) have been aired on more TV channels/videos and in more different edits than any other Zappa concert. I'm pretty sure there is a DVD that edits all of the available footage together (including the "Night Flight" footage).

7. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Yep, back in 1982, 1983, I also got into the Friday and Saturday night routine of watching Night Flight. I also liked Night Tracks. It just seemed more fun than watching MTV.

8. Cheepnik

Cheepnik Overfed long-haired leaping gnome

Loved Night Flight. It got sort of silly later on, but in its early days ('81-'82) it was the only place you could see rock movies like The TAMI Show, Journey Through the Past, Jimi Plays Berkeley, One to One (Sympathy For the Devil), etc.

Keep in mind that this was before most households even had VCRs, so for music nuts like me, it was a very big deal to be able to see these movies, even as lousy as some of them were.

9. thxdave

thxdave "One black, one white, one blonde"

I was a huge fan of this show and here's a great site with info and links to video:

http://www.night-flight.tk/

BTW, the voice of Night Flight was Pat Prescott, seen here:
    http://www23.brinkster.com/nightflight1/prescott.html

I had my first VCR back then and I collected several videos from the show (anybody remember the amazing timelapse video that used Jean Luc Ponty's music?). I promised somebody here (Ed?) a copy of this video on DVD and I haven't forgotten my promise!! ;)

Silver Surfer likes this.
  10. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I got cable in 1982 and I remember they kept repeating a short number of Night Flights, the one with the Catholic Girls the most.

11. charlie W

charlie W EMA Level 10

I used to love Night Flights! I remember watching two concerts of Genesis and Roxy Music and they ran the documentary "The Compleat Beatles".

Moshe likes this.
  12. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

It was a great show. THey had some great themes - atomic related, stop action animation, rock and roll movies, I did a simple ggole and found this Night Flight Web Site I haven't absorbed it yet, but if you look at the forum, there is some video trading activity....

13. reechie

reechie Senior Member

Night Flight had a show devoted to Kate Bush around the time Hounds Of Love came out that I may still have on VHS somewhere. They were also the first place I saw her 1979 Hammersmith Odeon concert video.

USA Network actually had quite a line-up of music shows back in the early 80's. I recall a New Year's Eve Utopia concert, and a series of live concerts featuring club-level acts including Renaissance and NRBQ.

Moshe likes this.
  14. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

One of the best things on cable back in the 80's, I really wish they would bring it back:

BEAThoven, Wes H, Gumboo and 2 others like this.
  15. ky658

ky658 Senior Member

16. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

I'd completely forgotten about that show, it was awesome.

17. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Watched this every weekend, especially in the years before MTV came to our area. Loved it. Didn't it turn into USA Up All Night?

18. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Night Flight was fantastic, I enjoyed watching it.

Moshe likes this.
  19. SonOfAlerik

SonOfAlerik Forum Resident

I have that clip.

therockman likes this.
  20. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

Lots of great programming! The concert films seem to have stuck in my mind, especially the Genesis and Zappa.

21. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

I remember watching an edited "Magical Mystery Tour" on Night Flight several times during the summer of 1985.

mmars982 likes this.
  22. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

The notorious "Night Flight" interview. The producer, Cynthia Freedland, was a fan, but the interview was done by a total airhead. I have the unedited footage, and it was about as close as I've ever seen Kate to ripping the microphone off and leaving the studio. My wife and I and two friends were seated on the couch in the back of the control room, and were biting our arms to keep from saying anything. I later put the whole thing on the Lovehounds Collection:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  23. keef00

keef00 Senior Member

I remember seeing Johnny Thunders, Jason and the Scorchers and Lenny Bruce's Mask Man cartoon there. Heady stuff for the mid-80s, when about all you had access to previously was network television. Apparently some of the Night Flight content is available for streaming here:

http://www.nightflightplus.com/

24. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Cool! Thanks for that link!

25. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

Here's the view we had from the couch during the Night Flight interview. Terrible photo, but it was on film in a very dark room.

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.