Nine Inch Nails and Reznor - underrated ?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Scott S., Dec 16, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

Apparently so!

2. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

How so? Seems like they're regularly nominated for Grammy awards, their music is respected across a pretty wide range of ages and demographics. Hell, we're not even batting an eye anymore when Trent Reznor wins Oscars and Golden Globes for his film scores. Not sure I'd call them underrated at all, Trent's put in plenty of work to earn his spot fair & square.

shaboo, rwil, Turbo2k and 1 other person like this.
  3. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

overrated for me ...
    the last ones are just average.
    we are far from "the fragile"

razorball and Fullbug like this.
  4. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I thought The Slip was kind of half-assed, but it was also a free release, so I was happy to accept it for what it was. I thought Hesitation Marks was a fine return to form, although I agree The Fragile is NIN's high point, creatively.

jamesc likes this.
  5. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth Thread Starter

Just that they would get rejected for the RRHOF when acts like Green Day and soul artists get in.

6. Nope. Talented, yes, critically acclaimed, yes but just because middle aged men at the RNRHOF don't get them, no. Green Day is easier to get because they recall elements of punk and classic rock all in one fell swoop.

It's the first go round for Reznor. There are other artists who didn't make it during the first round. Green Day is an easier and safer choice (doesn't mean they are any less deserving but there are many classic rock bands that have not been nominated that made an particularly some prog bands that the RNRHOH dislikes as a genre).

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    GodShifter likes this.
  7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I have a theory that a lot of this kind of thing is based on who they think will show up, it's all about tickets to the ceremony and ratings from the HBO broadcast, I think. Green Day is active at the moment, and will show up and play. They probably figure either Trent a) wouldn't show up/give a sh!t, or b) doesn't have a current active NIN lineup that could/would perform at the event (The last NIN tourdate was six months ago, and apparently will be the last for awhile).

Methinks if Trent relaunches NIN in a couple years, they'll be inducted then. Obviously it's just a hunch, but I feel like certain artists that are shoo-ins can perhaps decide when it's good for them.

wayneklein likes this.
  8. octaneTom

octaneTom Man of Leisure

Wait, people actually care about the Hall of Fame?

Sordel, kannibal, mooseman and 2 others like this.
  9. Rocat

Rocat Do you realise, this world is totally fugazi.

I love Nin. I think they are a well known band ( soundracks from quite popular movies used Nin music since early 1990s ) and Reznor got the Oscar limelight. The Quake (pc game) ost is another really good work, almost forgotten, by Reznor. Hesitation marks is a really solid effort, imo. I don't believe they are underrated, but surely their output has been an evolving one, and not always easy to follow, perhaps. I really wish I will get the opportunity to attend a Nin live show in the future :righton:. P.s. I agree: The Fragile is/was their finest hour, but I think Reznor has been brave not keeping to write the same record again and again.

10. Kossoff is God

Kossoff is God Forum Resident

His old band is underrated. :biglaugh:

11. redmetalmoose

redmetalmoose Forum Resident

I agree with most here.The Fragile is a high point and personally would love to hear it in 5.1 sacd.No love for Year Zero here?Man I loved it.
    I listened to Hesitation Marks again this weekend on a long drive and it's much better than I originally thought.
    But The Fragile is the one to crank when it's time to fire up the chainsaw,burn the dead wood,have a beer and scare the s*** out of the neighbors.
    Not necessarily in that order.....

Last edited: Dec 17, 2014
    DHamilton, Rocat and razorball like this.
  12. malcolm reynolds

malcolm reynolds Handsome, Humble, Genius

Love every studio album and the three soundtracks that Reznor has done with Atticus Ross. I am listening to the Gone Girl Soundtrack as I type this. They also put on the best live show that I have ever been too.

razorball likes this.
  13. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

the limited edition of "The girl with the dragon tattoo" looks awesome

[​IMG]

14. mooseman

mooseman Forum Resident

:shrug:Who!!!

four sticks likes this.
  15. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Wow! That's pretty bad! At least he didn't look as dumb as that singer. What year is this from?

I was an extra in a movie called The Light of Day that was shot at a club in Chicago and I guess he was in the band playing on stage. That was probably around 1985 or 1986.

16. jamesc

jamesc Senior Member

Yeah, where the heck is that 5.1 mix anyway? Seems like a good time to release it.

17. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Huge NIN fan. Trent's greatest album was Broken, as far as I am concerned.
    As far as OST goes, its tough to bear Natural Born Killers. A masterpiece!
    Where's my gone girl lp? Lol

18. T'mershi Duween

T'mershi Duween Forum Resident

Man... No wonder Trent is always so pissed-off! :D

It's like the 80's throwing up in it's own mouth.

At least Trent was spared much screen time. The drummer has one of the most luxurious mullets I have ever seen.

jamesc likes this.
  19. nbakid2000

nbakid2000 On Indie's Cutting Edge

Does it make the forum feel good to have this type of ignorance on display?

ARK and JohnnyQuest like this.
  20. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

**** yes they are! Love everything they did (including "Things Falling Apart","Ghosts I-IV" & "The Slip") and I just wish more people would acknowledge their greatness.

andy75 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  21. AnotherEargazm

AnotherEargazm Forum Resident

Reznor is a real composer. He has broad talent that goes far beyond being a guitarist in an industrial band, which is how I think he is perceived. He knows music, and can write for different instruments as well.

22. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I thought it was kind of catchy.
    :bdance:

23. Partyslammer

Partyslammer Lord Of The New Church

I have everything they (and Trent solo) have released since day one, seen them many times since '91 Lollapalooza up to '09 including the last 3 shows in LA during the "Wave Goodbye" tour. There's been some great shows during that run and everything up to The Fragile is untouchable. But honestly think Reznor has been in a rut for the last 12+ years. The last album should have been called "Autopilot." I don't think (they) are under rated or over rated. I think the general opinion on Reznor's impact on music, creativity, live rep and current viability among most listeners aware of the band is well balanced.

24. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

He recorded some of the more iconic albums of the 90s in the Tate house too.
    (Broken, Downward Spiral, Portrait of an American Family).
    I dont think hes too proud of it nowadays though.

25. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

I think you are right, but he should be really proud. Trent have given us so many timeless albums since he started out.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.