Nirvana Compilation Taking Shape

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA, Aug 30, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Nirvana Compilation Taking Shape

Unreleased "hit" to be included on single-disc compilation

By Jenny Eliscu
    Rolling Stone

Nirvana's last recording may finally see the light of day. According to sources close to the project, Universal Music Group hopes to put out a one-disc Nirvana greatest-hits album before the end of the year. Though no track listing was available at press time, the CD would include "You Know You're Right," the song Nirvana recorded less than three months before Kurt Cobain committed suicide on April 5th, 1994.

"It's a win-win situation for the band and for fans," says Nirvana bassist Krist Novoselic. "The music will finally come out."

The fate of any future Nirvana release has been at the center of a legal battle between Courtney Love, Novoselic and Dave Grohl for more than two years now. Both sides have sought to dissolve Nirvana LLC, a 1997 partnership that required all three to agree on Nirvana business decisions. Love claims that since Cobain was the band's principal songwriter, his heirs should have control over the band's legacy. Novoselic and Grohl counter that the band had functioned as a partnership and should continue to do so.

The bitter conflict scuttled plans for the Nirvana box set that had been planned for last fall, to coincide with the tenth anniversary of Nevermind's release. Love advocates a single disc, which would include "You Know You're Right." Her manager and boyfriend, Jim Barber, argued in legal proceedings that the song was "a potential 'hit' of extraordinary artistic and commercial value" and that a greatest-hits package including it would sell between 10 million and 15 million copies.

At press time, sources said Love, Novoselic and Grohl were working toward an amicable agreement that would clear the way for the album and a possible "You Know You're Right" video.

(August 30, 2002)

2. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

Also, Ms. Love posted this at hole.com and then deleted the thread. I can read some of it, but if somebody could please translate the rest of it for me, I'd be a happy man.

IP: Logged
    08-29-02 06:13 AM profile | pm | email | url | search | buddy | edit | quote

its out
    chritsmas and itll be a mutual press relase
    theres a few details left buit they are fine everyones fine noones being nasty anymore and it NOT "greatest Hots" its called "Nirvana" and itll be out by christmas

Illr espond with the othert two members of Nirvana

Im in a nother band and my resposibility to Nirvana is huge but im also interested in my own band

spo i can put out my first single before chritmas and be mowed over by my own huisband or wait.
    its abit of a dille4mma

ironic. I dont want to be mowed over by him. Im sick of being mowed over by him......
    Ill let allan Jim and My us lable decide

as fra as artists and thier rights and a union go that is also an issue that will be resolved and righteously so i have not and willnot abandon that- Now that we have the help of three other unions and a great lobbysista nd a n excellent senator whose just an honest grouchy cool guy ( Burton) I will still sit witht egg aspargus cherry and pipe fitters union people( wich noone else does)

and i wont do what hap[pended before ie take bribes or try for deals to benefit myself personally- so please dont think im pulling a dixie chicks and rolling over- Im gaining my freedom as an artits

the compannies know they must chanmge and my main concern is copyrights and helathc are= two things artiosts dont have and also of course- fair accounting- the ability to audit us and europe whenever wherever.

between EBIDO and Enron and now Time AOL and messiers short and tiny reign because he was a little french poodle that all the fellas laughed at the companies know to get thuier **** together

but this will be explained more officially and simply by a press release as both lawsuits go away

one was connected to the other= eg i was told No Nirvana unless i dropped the Hole'''''ironic that the smaller band- me was the weapon to get the bigger band-

However it wasnt just that threat- it was the fact that i can do more good by setting pofessionals and older artists ARTISTS not managers who used to be record company presidents or politicians who were making deals with movie agents abouit prioducing= and that even i with my narcissicism( im not on a schedule and ill make records when i want) realise that when a 20 year ol d asks me what lolla[palooza 1985 was like or sonic youth and mudhoney play and instead of three years ago wher eit would have been old people and sad it wAs jillions of eager abnd pleasde save me from britney 16-24 year olds its time to rock.

I did not rollover- but it will be explained in simple terms

i also had a 30 minute meeting with the ceo of UNI and if we had dont that two years afo a lot of bad **** wouldnt have happened- i lik ehim- hes a shark but noit a liar- and he likes me-im wierd butnot crazy

the only person that ****ed up here was the interscope people for doubting me.

3. Mike

Mike New Member

Let me know what parts you want translated and I can do it for you. What Courtney is saying in essence is that she is settling the lawsuit with Dave and Krist and also settling the lawsuit with Universal. All along Courtney maintained that she would not settle and would use the suit to establish artist-friendly precedents. Now she is settling - "so please dont think im pulling a dixie chicks and rolling over." :sigh: Let me also add that Courtney had no problem criticizing the Dixie Chicks, Alanis, etc. for settling when she was claiming she would not settle. :rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.