Nirvana - "Greatest Hits"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AKA, Aug 23, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AKA

AKA Senior Member Thread Starter

According to many sources, this will be released on October 22. Fans, what are your opinions on this? I think it's kind of bogus, but it might be a negotiation tool between the Grohl/Novoselic side and the Love side. Hopefully, that box set is sooner than we think.

It's apparently going to be a double-disc set, but I don't see a Nirvana greatest hits compilation filling up even one disc, even if they cover the band's entire career. Plus, a two-disc set might even be too filling.

My thoughts are I hope it doesn't happen. I want them to reserve the b-sides and unreleased tracks to the box set, but if they want to release a less bulky, one-disc set as sort of an overview of the career, I think that would be okay. Actually, I think it would go SOMETHING... like this:

1. School
    2. Love Buzz
    3. Big Cheese
    4. Sliver
    5. Dive
    6. Polly
    7. Smells Like Teen Spirit
    8. Come As You Are
    9. Lithium
    10. In Bloom
    11. Aneurysm
    12. Rape Me
    13. Heart-Shaped Box
    14. Pennyroyal Tea (remix)
    15. All Apologies (unplugged)
    16. About A Girl (unplugged)
    17. Where Did You Sleep Last Night (unplugged)
    18. Sappy

I don't know, though. I have a bad feeling this is a compromise to get You Know You're Right out there, but I hope not. I want it to debut on the box.

2. GregY

GregY New Member

Agreed. A greatest hits compilation is a bit silly, IMHO. But that doesn't mean it won't sell.

Even though I have many black market Nirvana CDs, I'd definitely buy the rumored box set for cleaned-up demos and unreleased tracks. I'm sure all the parties involved know what kind of goldmine they're sitting on -- hopefully that means they'll be able to resolve the B.S. and get the music into the hands and ear of the fans.

I've been trying to find Outcesticide VI but apparently it doesn't exist, as The Nirvana Bootography doesn't reference it.

3. chrischross

chrischross New Member

I used to live in Seattle and "Sappy" seemed to be in heavy rotation on the radio for quite a while. That song is constantly stuck in my head --- so I hope you're right that this makes a compilation set.

I'm more of a casual Nirvana fan, only having Nevermind and Unplugged (oh and the Lithium import with D-7) . I'm a bigger fan of the Wipers, and I really enjoyed Nirvana's covers.

In lieu of a future compiliation, what is the easiest way to get "Sappy"?

4. AKA

5. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Now, i'm all for GH and best-of packages, but for some reason, I can't see alternative and grunge bands getting them. It just kind of goes against the anti-commercial nature of the genre and the bands themselves. Sure, Nirvana's "Nevermind" was a commercial success, but it also came about at time when the single format was pretty much history. You saw the videos on TV but you couldn't buy the singles. You just got the whole CD. The songs were like little bites of the whole dinner. I don't know, maybe I would feel differently if they had just been more "commercial". I feel the same way about any alt/grunge bands like Pearl Jam or Stone Temple Pilots.

6. GregY

GregY New Member

Grant, Nirvana released quite a few singles on CD. I believe they can even be found in an import singles box set

7. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

Seems to me that track line up is shy of "The Man Who Sold the World" from Unplugged. I really couldn't imagine a Nirvana Greatest Hits collection without that one - it was all over the radio and MTV for quite awhile.

8. vex

vex New Member

I live in Seattle and had a chance to pick up all the rare Nirvana stuff when it was still fresh and fluffy. Instead I chose to concentrate on Mudhoney and Mono Men releases. Then when Nirvana broke into the big time, I scrambled to get what I could, but everything became collectable and high-priced rather quickly. Ugh. Meanwhile, Mudhoney and Mono Men have never really gotten past their cult status. My "investment" there hasn't done so well... hindsight being 20/20, I shoulda snagged up all the early Nirvana stuff.

Oh, the triles and tribulations of a pathetic collector... :help:

On the bright side, I did manage to snag a copy of Soundgarden's "Room A Thousand Miles Wide" 7" on purple vinyl. Whoo-hoo!

9. Matt

Matt New Member

I wish they put "I Hate Myself..." on there from the Beavis Butthead Experience, just to give you one less CD to buy. Maybe its title cut too close to the bone.

It's nice to have the Scott Litt remix of "Pennyroyal Tea," though, for those who don't wish to spring for the 'Wal-Mart' edition of In Utero or the pricey CD single.

10. AKA

Well, that's not the confirmed tracklisting. It's just my idea of what it might turn out to be. It could and probably will be very different from what's listed above.

As for "I Hate Myself And Want To Die," did you know that it was supposed to be on In Utero? Early, untitled demo pressings of In Utero place the song as track twelve, between "tourette's" (then known as "Tourists") and "All Apologies." But they caved the pressure and took the song off the album and gave it to Beavis and Butt-head. What could have been...

11. AKA

This just in - the October 22 release date has been confirmed by Universal.

12. mikenyc

mikenyc New Member

Isnt this the same day a new Foo Fighters CD is supposed to be released ?

13. AKA

Yep. "1x1" is set to be released on October 22, as well. Either one of the two will get pushed back or Mr. Grohl will have a very big payday

14. btomarra

btomarra Classic Rock Audiophile

AKA writes:

Could you provide us the link. I tried to surf the web and couldn't come up with anything.

Thanks,

Brian

15. Dean De Furia

Dean De Furia Senior Member

Good proposed track list, I would substitute "Man Who Sold The World" for "Sleep" and " Lake of Fire" for "Sappy".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.