Nirvana "In Utero" - Abbey Road or ORG music Vinyl version?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by nova, Sep 10, 2020.

1. nova

nova Wallowing in the black Thread Starter

Which version is best on vinyl? The ORG music pressed at Pallas or the Abey Road Studios on 2 LP?

2. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

What? No love for this one?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

(Images courtesy of Discogs)

This is the one that I bought in Seattle on September 14th, 1993 - 1 week prior to the release of the CD on September 21st. I just couldn't wait that long. :)

I wonder how this vinyl compares to the later versions? I know it's worth a lot more on eBay at least. :D

Cheers,
    Paul

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
    Mr Smith, wwright, Crosseyed and 11 others like this.
  3. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Just bought the Back to Black version and being honest, I kind of miss the Litt mixes of Heart Shaped Box and All Apologies. These clearly are the Albini mixes. Is there a currently available vinyl pressing that has the Litt (originally released) mixes of those two tracks?

J_D__ and hi_watt like this.
  4. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

That's interesting. According to Discogs, it's using the Litt remixes:

Nirvana - In Utero

Cheers,
    Paul

akmonday likes this.
  5. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

the 2lp 45rpm from the boxset for the original mix. i had the ORG and it was good but not amazing. i preferred the 45rpm.

however now i own the remix 2lp 45rpm. i think its clearer and more detailed than the original mix.

pexie likes this.
  6. johnwilliamhunte

johnwilliamhunte In the land of Gods and Monsters

The back to black version I have has the Albini mixes too, I think any copies with the '320' matrix have, discogs must be wrong on that one.

Paul P. and Soundslave like this.
  7. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Anyone know why this is? Seems weird they re-released one of the most popular albums of the 90’s with original mixes of the two most popular songs that weren’t on the original release. They are different for sure.

akmonday likes this.
  8. johnwilliamhunte

johnwilliamhunte In the land of Gods and Monsters

I think it was a mistake, when it was reissued the wrong master tape was sent.

DTK, Paul P. and Solly Bridgetower like this.
  9. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

It's just a known fact for those who follow In Utero and dig deep into reissues.
    Now as far "how this happened" my take is as follows:
    Universal in Europe started to press some vinyl back in 2000-2001 with "original master tapes" sticker [that's a fact]. I suppose they just decided to run a campaign of pressing 90s titles that had known to be recorded on tape (as a final 2-track stereo mix). With In Utero, it was known that there was a full mix done by Albini which was partially rejected, so that mix was EQ'ed (by Bob Ludwig if I recall right) and 2 Litt mixes added. Probably either a copy of the tape or the master tape with Albini mix was in the archive of Universal Europe and that's what they shipped to Hannover ('320') in order to make a new cut. Since then, Back to Black EU just re-used the same plates for new represses.

ghoulsurgery, pexie, DTK and 4 others like this.
  10. Solly Bridgetower

Solly Bridgetower Elton is my golden God of music. Deal with it.

I have the B2B/320 cut and the 2LP 2013 remix version. Don't know how they compare with other pressings, but I'm quite happy with them, especially the 320 pressing.

I didn't buy the album back in the 1990s, so I'm not used to the Litt remixes of those two tracks. My 320 was really the first copy of the album I got deep into, and I can't imagine not having all the 1993 Albini mixes, especially "Heart-Shaped Box".

imsjry and Soundslave like this.
  11. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

German "320" Albini for me

imsjry likes this.
  12. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

From an interview with Steve Albini:

And I think partly because they were being told by other people that their record was bad and partly because they had these minor doubts of their own, they made some changes to a couple of songs. They remixed a couple of songs. Those remixes and those original album masters were then sent to a professional mastering studio, where a guy who is known for the mastering guy for professional hit records, did his mastering magic on them. And there was a lot of work done in the mastering. The mastering changed the sound quality of the record quite a bit.​

So just to be clear - only EQ'd during the mastering phase. Original tape is still Albini's mix down, with two additional Scott Litt remixes.

(There's actually a third Scott Litt remix on some copies of In Utero - Pennyroyal Tea - but that's primarily on the Walmart "Waif Me" edition.)

Cheers,
    Paul

13. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident

Yep, looks I recalled right, namesake ;)

johnwilliamhunte likes this.
  14. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

Thanks for the replies everyone. This 320 matrix version is killer. Sounds more brutal then I remember my old cassette sounding. I do really hope they repress the 2lp original mix, 2013 remaster at some point.

andy75, pexie, Soundslave and 2 others like this.
  15. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I like the un-eq'd Albini tape, but the Litt remixes of Heart-Shaped Box (also overdubbed by Kurt) and All Apologies are far superior. It was a sound artistic decision to re-do those two.

16. Paul P.

Paul P. Forum Resident

Interestingly, they had to get Albini's permission for those:

Nirvana considered working with producer Scott Litt and remixing some tracks with Andy Wallace, who had mixed Nevermind. Albini vehemently disagreed, and said the band had agreed not to modify the tracks without his involvement. He initially refused to give the master tapes to Gold Mountain, but relented after a phone call from Novoselic. The band eventually had Litt remix songs intended as singles; "Heart Shaped Box" and "All Apologies" were remixed at Seattle's Bad Animals Studio in May 1993. (Wikipedia)​

This is also why the Scott Litt Pennyroyal Tea remix exists. It was scheduled to be the next single - but was shelved after Kurt's passing. Promo copies of the single do exist.

I did notice that the Super Deluxe box set of In Utero has the two Litt mixes in place as the canonical album. I wouldn't presume to speak for Albini - that's a dangerous thing to do :) - but, it seems like everyone agrees that's the standard configuration. The box also has the "Gallons of rubbing alcohol..." UK bonus track, the Pennyroyal remix and the two original Albini mixes, plus all the assorted b-sides and ephemera. I was actually pleased at the configuration of that.

BTW: You can read Steve's original letter to Nirvana about In Utero here: Read the incredible four-page proposal letter Steve Albini sent to Nirvana Quite an interesting read if you haven't seen it.

Cheers,
    Paul

17. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

The ORG version sounds very good, but the 45rpm adds more space around the instruments and deeper bass.

polchik, Rolandjuno60 and Soundslave like this.
  18. Exactly. They both sound excellent (just played them back to back as part of an early 90's binge - Mother Love Bone / Alice in Chains / Pearl Jam / Soundgarden / Stone Temple Pilots / Nirvana - and yeah, the 45 RPM does everything the ORG does, but better : cleaner and quieter backgrounds, more space, more dynamics, deeper bass. The highs are also a bit more extended but cleaner and much more "natural" (if you can say "natural" about this album). The bonus tracks on the 3LP 2013 edition are great, too. The ORG is my go to for Nevermind, but the 2013 45 RPM (cut by Steve Rooke at Abbey Road) is it for In Utero. (For Bleach, it's the 2009 2LP Sub Pop reissue; sounds amazing).

pexie and mr. faded glory like this.
  19. London Beckett

London Beckett Forum Resident

IMO the 20th Anniversary edition (With the extra LP) is just fantastic to my ears. Never saw a reason to get any other version.

polchik and Rolandjuno60 like this.
  20. (sorry - forgot Temple of the Dog in the list :))

pexie, Soundslave and mr. faded glory like this.
  21. nodbor

nodbor Forum Resident

go to bullmoose.com

22. imsjry

imsjry Forum Resident

I only see the recent repress of the 2013 Albini mix available on vinyl, not the 2013 OG mix.

nodbor likes this.
  23. London Beckett

London Beckett Forum Resident

It's not the same mix that's on the 20th anniversary set?

24. Mackaveli

Mackaveli Forum Resident

This is an album I've been meaning to pick up for awhile. What issue of this album represents the mix of the original official release?