Nirvana- In Utero: Deluxe Edition news and discussion thread (pt2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

2. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

Since the album is kind of long (nearly 49 minutes), putting it on a single LP would require some compromises. Two LPs wouldn't have such compromises, which is why Albini pushed for such release.

Mij Retrac likes this.
  3. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

the 2x 45 RPM sounds a lot better than the '320' Euro pressing that I have

4. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

5. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

Soo let me get this straight...Albini did a new from scratch mix that is alongside the remastered original Geffen mix plus demos/outtakes that have themselves been remixed. And there is a vinyl version that will soon have a companion 45rpm version?

My question is how worthwhile the whole thing is to someone who only listens to the Albini mix on the German/UK vinyl from a few years back. I never really "got" the album until then and refuse to hear it any other way. Can anyone say how the new 2013 Albini mix compares, because the mentions of utilizing unused bits really confused me.

6. SteveCooks

SteveCooks Senior Member

I really like them. Some mixes are weaker than the originals but it's a really nice way to experiment my favourite Nirvana album. If you're a fan, I would suggest you to go for it : Albini did a faithful job with the songs, even if some strange choices were made (I concur with a previous post about missing the strings at the beginning of "dumb"(as far as the demos areconcerned, they are not that interesting but the extra tracks on cd1 are very good IMHO).
    I really really want to buy the 2013 mix on vinyl for the black friday RSD but wonder if I could get one here in France...

7. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Pardon me as I am late to the party.

The 45 rpm version is the new mix? How does it sound? Do we like?

8. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

The 45 contains the original album mix.

9. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I have the original Albini master (german reissue), and have heard the 2013 Albini mix.

It is very different sounding, and very good.

Clanceman likes this.
  10. anthontherun

anthontherun Forum Resident

11. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Tonight's the night; i finally do "Out Utero". My take on the new 2CD release - which of the two mixes or demo for each song, as well as which non-LP demos if available are worthy (IMO) for a custom [never likED the tracklisting] CD-R.
    Wish me luck !!!

Now reviewing:

12. Byrdman77

Byrdman77 Forum Resident

It's interesting to hear but I ended up thinking all original mixes were the best and therefore I can't imagine listening to this much again.

13. BIG ED

BIG ED Forum Resident

Done! w/"Up Utero" (it was late... ):
    1: D1 T20 (more sedatED/which is apropos for this GREAT GREAT song)
    2: D1 T16 (addED atmosphere from this bonus track)
    3: D1 T18 (miss the intro/just likED the mix better)
    4: D1 T16 (how could one have "Utero" w/o "******"?)
    5: D1 T14 ('B-Side MaryJane' over 'Demo Weed')
    6: D1 T4 (jangler guitar)
    7: D2 T6 (vocal a bit warmer)
    8: D2 T5 (more open vocal)
    9: D1 T8 (BIGGER bassier sound)
    10: D1 T7 (more bite on guitar)
    11: D2 T18 (even instrumentals deserver luv)
    12: D2 T2 (a little less forward)
    13: D2 T1 (separation distinction by a hair)
    14: D1 T11 (bass)
    IMO
    BIG surprise... not... thought i'd prefer the older mixes!
    However, could listen too either the "original remasterED"or the "2013 mix" of the twelve album cuts.
    Can't say i'd listen too either disc all the way thru every time tho [w/B-Sides, Bonus Tracks, &/or Demos].

14. aoxomoxoa

image.jpg

Has anyone receieved defective pressings? My first one was warped and has lots of noise and was pressed off center. The second has the side one label applied way off center and into the grooves of the record! I requested a third from Amazon so let's hope this is not a trend.

It does sound friggin awesome though!

15. jimod99

jimod99 Daddy or chips?

picked up the 2013 Remix Lp this morning in Geneva!!

Not had a chance to play it yet though, probably have to wait until the weekend...

16. aoxomoxoa

Guess no one else is buying the 45 RPM? You guys are missing out!!

17. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

I'll be getting the Remix LP on Black Friday RSD. It will be glorious. :laugh:

18. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Had the 2013 mixes on this morning and was really enjoying them for a change of pace.

19. dirtymac

dirtymac Forum Resident

Played the 45RPM again last night. I'm keeping it. Just a bit more opened up and in possession of a tad more palpable sense of realism across the spectrum than the ORG.

This release has sounded just great to me in every version I have owned. So well-recorded and mixed from the get-go, hard to mess it up. If all I ever had had was the original CD I would have been satisfied. Then the MFSL CD warmed it up a bit, and I preferred that somewhat. When I got the ORG LP I was happy as it sounded a bit better yet and could have lived with that forever as well. But this is one of my favorite records from the 90s and I have dug the other tracks on the bonus LP for a very long time, so I had to pull the trigger a month ago and I'm glad I did.

If you merely like this record, you're probably just fine with whatever version of it you have but if you really love it the 45RPM version is definitely worth checking out.

(I also have the deluxe CD version and enjoy the new mixes as a curio and appreciate new nuances that are brought out, but really prefer the originals).

20. aoxomoxoa

I used to just like this album. The 45rpm has made me fall in love with it!!

Clanceman and AlienRendel like this.
  21. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

Had one of those cool moments that can only happen in the world of iPods and DAPs: had the player on shuffle and it went from MJ's "Will You Be There" to the live version of "Scentless Apprentice" from this set. Reminded me of what Nirvana did to the King of Pop back in Jan '92!

22. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

I always thought it was funny that Nirvana hired a Michael Jackson impersonator to collect one of their MTV Music Video Awards in 1992. :)

JeffMo likes this.
  23. MoonPanda

MoonPanda Forum Resident

I'm getting a vinyl edition of this for Xmas. Was originally getting the 20th Ann. 3-disc set, but am wondering about the fun of getting the RSD 2o13 remix.

My question is - how different is it? Is it a radical difference from the original mix, or something that most folks would barely notice? Any comments welcome...

24. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Read the thread.

25. aoxomoxoa

I don't care for the remix. The vocals don't sound right to me .

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.