Nirvana- In Utero: Deluxe Edition news and discussion thread (pt2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Oct 12, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. schelti

schelti Forum Resident

2. Mondie

Mondie Forum Resident

Thanks, will check that one out. Now we just need Nevermind on 45rpm done as well as In Utero

Dino likes this.
  3. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

so i compared this to my ORG....yea this 45rpm is better. the drums have more umph...the vocals are more crystal clear...and overall sounds a bit more meatier and enjoyable to listen too.
    The ORG is a bit crispier(brighter) but sounds more umm...cold...like i dont even feel like finishing the record..sound kind of light. the 45rpm is just a treat to listen to through..

i decied to keep the org for the artwork though....the 3lp is a triple gatefold and the back of the art is different....the ORG is more faithful to the original cd...and the 2 records fit fine in my org sleeve.... the 3rd lp of set with the bonus tracks. ill never listen to...i have all those songs from other sources already.

i should say the records are quite quiet...but the lead in grooves of each record could have been a bit more silent..
    the only issue i had is the guitar in the beginning of rape me sounds a little wow and fluttery...like and off center record has....but its only the first 30 sec so..oh well.

4. Dino

Dino Forum Resident

I like the way you think!

On the subject of the Deluxe CD box:
    I finally listened to the Live and Loud CD yesterday. Or rather, I tried to listen to it. I could not take the compression.

I thought that we probably have Steve Albini to thank that the two studio CDs (and probably the two LP sets) sound so good.

5. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

yasujiro likes this.
  7. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

yasujiro likes this.
  8. LePompDior

LePompDior Forum Resident

I was about to make a joke about how the little gold numbers stamped in the back of my RSD pressing made the record sound better and worth the extra $10. Then I realized these RSD LPs aren't even numbered. Can someone please tell me the point of RSD again?

9. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

To make you buy more records!

10. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Please help clear my confusion here: Is the 45rpm version in the 3 disc set with original cover art the same as the 2 disc 45rpm with the black cover? If not, what differences are there and which is preferred? I'm not bothered with out-takes as I rarely play them so am just after the best version as I only have the original CD which is OK but...

11. SammyJoe

SammyJoe Up The Irons!

The 3 LP edition has this original and preferred, correct cover-art:
    [​IMG]

The remix cover-art with black is much uglier and not preferred at all:)

12. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

The two-disc with black cover is the 2013 remix. It's just the standard album remixed with no additional tracks.

13. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Sorry, I didn't express myself well I guess. Not bothered about the cover just the music. My understanding is that the triple has a remaster of the original mix but the double has a new remix by SA suggesting a quite different sound.
    If this is so, (I don't intend buying both) which is preferred?, remaster or remix? I read somewhere online that the cello on Dumb is removed which I would say is critical to the melody. Any views?

14. Bertly

Bertly Senior Member

I think most people will recommend the original mix's sound. I also think the third disc (33 rpm) with b-sides and bonus tracks has essential songs...All in all, it's a better value than the remix set, in my opinion, especially if you love the third disc like I do. My only real complaint is that I'd have preferred original mixes for E3-F1.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2014
    dirtymac likes this.
  15. snkcube

snkcube Forum Resident

You can always listen to the remix on Spotify and see which you prefer.

16. tightplatonic

tightplatonic Forum Resident

Just got the black cover version (steve albini 2013) mix, listening now (just ended the side A)..it sounds very different for sure, it's less punchy to my ears with more depth, the drums don't seem as hyped/in your face on the regular version, the guitars have a more texture and seem less fizzy.

It's fun because it's different but perhaps less exciting, on first listen of the first 3 tracks anyway lol. I imagine it will grow on me though.

17. japhyman

japhyman Forum Resident

this 2013 45rpm is my go-to version for the moment. i love all the differences, and the overall impression I get from this mix is that i'm a little closer to the band playing in the room, more jagged edges to things. i recommend getting this LP version, though i'll agree it is expensive, i think its pretty unique to have an alternate mix of an album done to such a high standard of quality. (maybe thats a good thread topic in itself, best "alternate mixes" of all time?)

Tom Campbell likes this.
  18. tightplatonic

Yeah it's cool for sure, it's quite different from the german320 'albini' mix as well if anyone is wondering.

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Are both sides(note the mix variations) of the 2014 RSD single vinyl debuts? PRT(single mix) and Hate Myself(1993 mix)

20. tightplatonic

interesting that the Albini 2013 vinyl mix doesn't have the heart shaped box guitar effect on the solo that is on the German 320 version of the vinyl, which was supposedly the original Albini mix.

21. cement_head

cement_head Forum Resident

22. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

I swear this is a bit confusing even after reading, maybe a case of the Mondays but this is how I understand it.

The 3-lp with original cover - This is just a remaster with Steve Albini participating (Also, the same mix on the ORG version) http://www.soundstagedirect.com/nirvana-in-utero-180-gram-vinyl-lp.shtml
    The 2-lp with black cover - This is the 2013 remix of Steve Albini (Different than ORG and 320) http://www.soundstagedirect.com/nirvana-in-utero-2013-180-gram-45-rpm-vinyl-records.shtml

Both of these are all analog it appears right? The black cover doesn't seem to mention this.

I think the ORG sounds great but have had this on my list for a while, just not sure which is the one to get. My impression is that people are saying both are top notch quality. Of course, sample on Spotify to see which is preferred but the SQ on both of these are top notch right?

23. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Is the 2013 mix double LP a real improvement over the CD version? I really like the deluxe CD release and think it sounds great. If the LP cut of that mix is better, I'd like to pick it up. My local HMV has it for $29.99 which I think is pretty good.

24. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Judging by the RSD single, the 2013 mix of IHMAWTD was used for the vinyl and reissues because the 1993 version only seems to exist in cd sound.

The only thing exclusive about the 2014 PRT single for RSD is the cover artwork.

25. Andrius Dobrotinas

Andrius Dobrotinas Forum Resident

With Nevermind and In Utero Kurt either didn't know what he wanted or changed his mind a lot. For example, according to Kurt, Nevermind sounded not the way he wanted it to sound. In fact, very different from what he wanted. On the other hand, he expressed that point of view sometime after the release, so it might be that he just changed his mind after it was released, probably due to how things changed after Nevermind got so big so unexpectedly. In other words, we don't really know whether the original release of Nevermind sounded the way Kurt really wanted. And if it did sound the way he wanted at that point, we definitely know he changed his opinion within a year and wanted this record to sound differently. We don't even know if it really sounded the way he wanted on the day of release (because I read somewhere he wanted to remove a lot of high frequencies, but the producer said that's not going to work). So in the end we have Nevermind that sounds not the way Kurt wanted to.

Similar story with In Utero. They recorded an album, then they started having doubts about the sound. That they started having doubts about the mix. In result they decided to remix two songs and rectify the rest of the problematic aspects in the mastering stage, which is already a compromise. It is thought by Steve Albini that Kurt was pressured by the record company executives into doing that. It is said that Kurt was caught in the middle of the storm trying to satisfy both the excutives and the producer whom he respected. Therefore, again, we don't know what In Utero was supposed to sound like.
    Steve Albini (and I believe a lot of fans too) believe that what Kurt actually wanted was what there was before the record executives expressed their concerns. Again, that's just a speculation. But as you can see, it's all not that simple :)

And with Bleach, Kurt wanted it to start with About A Girl, I think, and end with Blew, but Sub Pop guys wanted it to start with Blew. So there you go :)

But I'm not saying that the original versions are not the way to go :)

Yeah, and I'm sure they would have released it in 1994 if Kurt had not passed away.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
    JeffMo likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.