Nirvana MTV Unplugged 2009 ORG Vinyl by Bernie Grundman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkeycat, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monkeycat

monkeycat Member Thread Starter

I have bought or listened to most of the vinyl and cd masterings for Nirvana's MTV Unplugged album. I really believe this is the pinnacle of all the masterings. I was wondering what some of you think.

2. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

I'm happy with the 320 pressings and haven't bought any of the ORGs...

3. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

This is the only one where the lineage isn't listed, so I haven't bothered with it. It uses the "original source elements" rather than the "original master tapes" so that could be VHS for all I know.

The other ORG Nirvana pressings are remarkable no doubt, so I'm sure the pressing itself is gorgeous.

4. carsoni4

carsoni4 New Member

I may be in a very small minority, but I was a little disappointed with the ORG pressing of "Nevermind". Not as natural sounding as my 320 pressing, which I sold prior to purchasing the ORG.

However, I'd certainly be willing to take a shot at the ORG Unplugged if reviews were positive.

candyflip69 likes this.
  5. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

You can find the 2008 EU 320 stamper pressing in just about any vinyl store in Toronto. Nearly all the Nevermind B2B's that showed up in Canada were imported from the EU instead of the US. That's why the Steve Albini version of Heart Shaped Box is also very easy to find as all the In Utero B2B's were also the 320 stamper series.

6. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

In response to the OP:

Yes, the ORG press of Unplugged is terrific: natural, well-balanced and dynamic, with a big, deep soundstage. It beats the original white vinyl and the CD handily, though I haven't heard the 320 pressing.

7. visprashyana

visprashyana New Member

Digital and all, uh?

8. Beatlelennon65

Beatlelennon65 Active Member

I've got a copy that I bought a couple of months ago and it sounds great.

9. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Bernie is King. 'nuff said.....

10. theclipper

theclipper Forum Resident

So can anyone compare the ORG to the 320?

11. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I think ORG did a great job with all three titles.

12. AaronW

AaronW Senior Member

Sometimes...:winkgrin:

How does it improve upon the original US white vinyl pressing?

13. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Just thought I'd also mention that the Simply Vinyl Unplugged sucks donkey...

14. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Listened to this just now. Absolutely fabulous. Lifelike due to high resolution sound, perfect soundstage, natural audience sounds, and most important of all, a great performance.

Highest recommendation. If you like Nirvana this is a must buy. I got mine at Fry's for $23.

15. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

i'd rather watch the official dvd with 5.1 sound..

but i can see why you would want the vinyl or cd..

16. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

Well I'm sure the DVD sounds great also. The original recording is clearly quite good.

17. johnnypaddock

johnnypaddock Senior Member

Agree 100%... outstanding. If you are debating this one, I can't see you being disappointed.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  18. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I won't be straying from my original US lp, when it is this good, why bother!

JG

19. ccn103

ccn103 Senior Member

Because knowing there is an even better sounding version out there (for a very reasonable price) would drive me crazy...

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  20. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

I have yet to hear a reissue that beats the original by a wide margin. Pressing may be better in some cases but sound quality, give me the original any time. In actual fact I have gotten rid of most of the reissues I have bought over the years, they take up too much space where originals could sit.

JG

21. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I'm sure the DVD sounds good too, but give me lossless stereo (CD, vinyl) over 448 Kbps Dolby 5.1 any day of the week.

If the DVD has a PCM stereo track, I'd most likely choose that over the Dolby 5.1

22. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Listening to this one right now. I can't believe it doesn't get mentioned more. To me this is the best live album ever. I'm sure it's not but to me.

The one thing that sucks is that recently I realized the last 2 songs on the 2nd side have a scratch on it. Not sure if I did it or if it came like that. I bought it a while back so no returns, now must I get another? Hahaha.

YouKnowEyeKnow likes this.
  23. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

This is a stunning sounding album, I had the original LP and this one smokes it... My disc (Red Vinyl) is immaculate with the only downside is a slight bit of crackling through "Where did you Sleep Last Night?" But it's barely noticeable and very listenable!

The ORG Nevermind and In Utero are both awesome too!

I can't wait to get my Incesticide vinyl from this series!

24. pronghorn

pronghorn Forum Resident

I don't know, the original CD of this title sounds pretty darn good.

Wasn't this digitally recorded anyways?

25. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

sometimes the 5.1 mix sounds better than stereo..lossy or not :agree:

dobyblue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.