Nirvana MTV Unplugged 2009 ORG Vinyl by Bernie Grundman

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by monkeycat, Jul 29, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MusicIsLove

MusicIsLove formerly CSNY~MusicIsLove

Yeah, I don't know how much I believe the effects different color has on the quality of the vinyl. I would expect the differences to be negligible at best.

2. MusicIsLove

3. buzzlulu

buzzlulu Forum Resident

Amazing as it is I do not own a copy of Nevermind. Which is the best vinyl to hunt down?

Gregg

4. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

The colored vinyl was limited. I'm guessing they're all sold out and current stock will be plain ol' black.

5. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

Definitely the ORG. Avoid earlier issues and the more recent 20th anniversary reissue.

The current stock is most definitely just a black LP, but try to make sure you're getting the ORG before placing an order.

6. RodMunch

RodMunch Forum Resident

7. MusicIsLove

Identifiers/UPC for it? The Barnes and Noble listings I posted for example, aren't that descriptive except for release date and UPC. Release date says 2009.

8. theclipper

theclipper Forum Resident

Does anyone have any issues with Kurts vocals kind of breaking up (for lack of a better term) over the soundstage? Or does he stay clearly imaged in the same spot throughout the album? I'm trying to figure out if there is something strange going on with my setup or not.

Thanks

9. Preston

Preston Forum Resident

Here's why I believe this. I always noted how much less static the translucent vinyl generates. I recently bought the 4LP Smashing Pumpkins Mellon Collie and cleaned all of the LPs. I played side 1 of LP1 and it was terribly noisy, with lots of pops and ticks throughout. The vinyl appeared to be perfect in every other respect: flat and centered. I didn't even play side 2, I was so disgusted, and I decided I was going to return it without even listening to LPs 2-4. The next day, for some reason, I thought I'd play it again and voila, the vinyl was perfect. Not a single pop, tick or scratch (except for the first two revolutions of the first track). Now, I'm not saying that colored vinyl is superior in all respects, but the black vinyl can absolutely have easily discernible negative attributes, in certain situations. And I think that is why the translucent vinyl seems to have less "self-noise" or record noise: there is less static generated when the record is played.

Note that I typed "seems to have", because this is all theory, but it sounds plausible. YMMV.

10. theron d

theron d Forum Resident

Can someone confirm that the latest Nirvana MTV Unplugged vinyl that is available 2013 Interscope is the same mastering as the ORG version that is OOP now? many thanks in advance...

11. John Bliss

John Bliss Forum Resident

Did you ever find out? I found this German 2013 pressing but it did not mention Interscope, but it is a BG repress:

http://www.discogs.com/Nirvana-MTV-Unplugged-In-New-York/release/4881134

12. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

After watching the recent HBO doc on Kurt, I have decided that I need this album back in my life after years of avoiding Nirvana due to overplay. Anyone know of any sites that are still selling this ORG pressing of Unplugged?

13. Looks like it's still available on the ORG site: http://orgmusic.merchnow.com/products/160718/unplugged-in-new-york-black-lp

John Bliss and mcenters like this.
  14. mcenters

mcenters Forum Resident

15. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Yeah, that doc made me spin all three of my Nirvana records, in order, in a single afternoon.

All three ORGs sound very nice... Nevermind and IU are a bit on the trebly side, but Unplugged sounds perfect. It's my fave of the three. I was lucky to snag all the colored presses before they went OOP too!

John Bliss likes this.
  16. I do not have experience ordering directly from them before, but from reading the forum I recall many members ordering directly from them in the past (I think at one point there was even a forum-specific coupon code). I wouldn't think there would be any issues, ORG is a pretty reputable label.

mcenters likes this.
  17. zephead

zephead Forum Resident

Have both like the 320!

18. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

19. I ordered it from them a few months back. No issues at all. Nicely packaged and quick turnaround.:)

mcenters likes this.
  20. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

I've ordered from them directly a few times, no issues at all.

21. John Bliss

I have a red vinyl Nevermind, but not sure if it's legit. No mention of 320 in the dead wax.

22. RichC

RichC Forum Resident

Probably a boot. The blue vinyl was the only official ORG colored press.

John Bliss likes this.
  23. John Bliss

Thanks Rich! Good to know.

24. Hello! Anyone heard the Back to Black release??

John Bliss likes this.
  25. John Bliss

I'm curious about that Back to Black as well, I see that popping up on eBay and discogs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.