Nitty Gritty machine leak

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Victrollin', Mar 30, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Victrollin'

Victrollin' Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hello- I could use some advice from Nitty Gritty owners who have been “under the hood” of their machine. I have a Model 2.0, that is at least 20 years old. After a recent record cleaning session, I pulled the plug at the bottom to drain out the old fluid, but nothing came out. I removed the bottom cover of the machine to take a look, and noticed fluid all over the vacuum motor. Uh oh! Luckily, after letting everything dry out, the motor still works fine. Obviously I’m dealing with a leak somewhere. I don’t think there’s a blockage inside the machine, as fluid drained from the bottom hole after I tried dumping some cleaning fluid into the top slot (with the vacuum off).

I’m a DIY kind of guy and would like to try and diagnose and fix it the machine myself, but I can’t see how I can dismantle the machine. All the parts seem to be glued together in the factory. Anybody else here replace a motor (or any other of the internal parts) on a Nitty Gritty machine? I could use your advice.

I tried calling Gayle, but she’s apparently out on vacation. The woman I spoke to was very nice, but didn’t have any advice for fixing the machine. As a last resort I can send it back to be repaired, but they have a 3 month(!) wait list for repairs.

Here are some pics of the bottom of the machine, it looks like the motor and the round plastic thing (for lack of a better word) are glued onto a piece of foam, which is also glued into the chassis of the machine. Please note, there’s a crack at the bottom of the “plastic thing” that I previously repaired with epoxy; that doesn’t seem to be the source of the current leak.

Thanks!!!! -Adam

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mike from NYC

Mike from NYC Senior Member

I had that problem too so I left the plug off and put the NG in a sided metal pan for the water to drain into.

3. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Adam, IIRC, this has come up before- several years ago. Have you done a search on this forum regarding your NG issue? I recall reading/following the thread because I have the Record Doctor RCM built by NG > same model you own.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.