Nitty Gritty Record Doctor II

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by metalbob, Apr 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. metalbob

metalbob Senior Member Thread Starter

Anyone familiar with this cleaning machine? I am tempted to plunk down 2 Benjamins on this! Does anyone find this difficult to use if you have to turn it by hand? I found a machine that was about 70 less that you needed your own vacuum for. But, if I am getting 32oz of fluid and brushes along with this, I guess it would be worth it to pay the extra money for a better machine that won't need my home vacuum.

Nitty Gritty Record Doctor II Record Cleaning Machine with 32oz. FREE Cleaning Fluid

Here is the other one:

KAB EV1

2. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I've owned one of these Record Doctors for many years. Yes, turning it by hand isn't the most fun way to spend your time, but it's not hard to do, and you're not running it constantly either. I would do maybe a half dozen at a time. There's plenty of suction--it has never failed to dry my vinyl.

One improvement I did make was to buy a VPI replacement brush (the ones they sold with their record vacuums)--it has nylon bristles, and I feel it gets down into the grooves better than the velvet brushes that the Record Doc comes with.

The fluid isn't bad, and has worked good for a lot of my vinyl. I just need to see if that Disc Doctor fluid (or whatever it's called) cleans much better.

I don't think you'd go wrong with this basic vacuum though...I'd rather have this than no vacuum at all!

3. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I've been using a Record Doctor II for almost two years now, and I've literally cleaned hundreds of LPs (maybe 1000 by now?) with it.

I think it's a nice little machine, and I don't mind the manual operation one bit ... you could even argue it's a good thing in a way, because you have more control over what's going on.

I agree with Rudy on the VPI bristle brush. It's really better at digging into the grooves than what's supplied with the RDII.

I used to use the RDII by itself with the fluid and "brushes" supplied, but now I use it as an accessory in the Disc Doctor system. Rudy, for what it's worth ... I got good results with the RDII alone, but the Disc Doctor + RDII combination is even better.

4. metalbob

Are these the brushes you are referring too:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=VPI17BRUSH&product_name=Replacement%20Record%20Cleaning%20Brush

and

http://www.audioadvisor.com/store/productdetail.asp?sku=VPI16%2E5BR&product_name=Record%20Cleaning%20Brush%20for%2016%20and%2016%2E5%20Record%20Cleaning%20Machines

This hobby can get expensive if you really want it to! I don't want to go too overboard here. Some of these companies charge an arm and a leg for this stuff. I can't believe that these record cleaning machines are that expensive and the fluid, what the heck is in this stuff?

5. thegage

thegage Forum Currency Nerd

I've had my Nitty for over 10 years. No problems. I personally prefer manual operation, since I can concentrate on a bit more scrubbing. I don't see the need for automatic operation--the routine becomes pretty...routine after a while, and you won't even think about it.

6. -=Rudy=-

Hmmm...the $9.95 brush looks like mine, but without the handle attached. I think this one actually mounts to a VPI machine. The other one for $30 does appear to have a handle, but even that one looks a little different from mine. Mine has a wood handle and slightly longer bristles.

I know I didn't pay anywhere near $30 for my brush though! Probably more like $10 or $15. But it was VPI.

Interesting.

7. -=Rudy=-

Good. I'm just about out of fluid right now, so I may get some of that Disc Doc fluid when I get a chance.

8. freeflyt

freeflyt Active Member

I used to won one of these, back when I was into vinyl. It worked great, and usually made a significant improvement in playback.

Improved brushes would probably be a good idea.

At one point I bought a roller bearing bottom plate for the manual operation, which made it easier to rotate the record during cleaning. I don't know if that accessory is still available, and I DO NOT have any information on the seller, so please don't ask.

Steve

9. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

I have the Nitty Gritty Record Master 1, and I love it. I've had mine now for about 13 to 15 years and never had a problem with it. Nitty Gritty is an excellent company to do business with. I've ordered record fluid from them and a replacement vac-sweep. They process their orders fast and accurate. I also like cleaning the records manually. I feel I have better control over the cleaning process.

10. -=Rudy=-

Reminds me--the only warning about the machine is that it isn't for heavy duty use. I forget the # of LPs per hour, but it's due to giving the motor a little time to cool off. The bigger, automatic models (which cost *way* more) are more likely to handle continuous running. I rarely clean more than a few at a time, so it's not an issue for me.

One thing I did do was use an old turntable mat to do my cleaning/scrubbing on...then flip 'er over and give it the vacuum treatment. :)

11. metalbob

I just noticed that this model isn't on the Nitty Gritty site. Is this a discontinued model that this site still has kicking around?

12. Upstateaudio

Upstateaudio Senior Member

Record Doctor II is a stripped down version of the Nitty Gritty 1.0. Made exclusively for Audio Advisor and sold only through them. It lacks holders for the brush and fluid. I'v had mine for 7 years and do enjoy it a lot.

AS menitoned before, do not use constantly as you will burn out the motor.

13. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

Yep, I only do four or six record sides in one sitting ... to keep from burning out the motor, but also because that's usually all I have time and patience for. :D

14. Joe Koz

Joe Koz Prodigal Bone Brother™ In Memoriam

It sure gets old fast, doesn't! :laugh: :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.