No Album Reviews in New Issue of Rolling Stone?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by madame george's boyfriend, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

Make it three!

2. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Harry Styles, seriously?
    What a spoon.
    Wouldnt know musical inspiration without his army of co writers and producers if it crawled up his backside.

3. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

I didn't know that. That's pretty crappy.

4. clhboa

clhboa Forum Resident

Yeah, that sucks!

5. Mark

Mark I Am Gort, Hear Me Roar Staff

Please stop the political posts. Thanks!!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  6. BluesOvertookMe

BluesOvertookMe Forum Resident

7. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

I don't recall seeing this at B&N, or any newstand in NYC, even those that carry a lot of music publications

8. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

But didn't you guys notice who wrote the Styles article: Cameron Crowe. Cameron F.... Crowe!

THAT is the big takeaway from that issue. Make what you want from that fact about the state of music journalism today.

Somewhere William Miller is crying.

Daryl M and telepicker97 like this.
  9. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

Speaking of other things kids don't do: Last week's episode of Law & Order: SVU had 2 highschool boys from Massapequa coming in to MSG for a Billy Joel concert. Really? Wrong demographic, methinks.

Last edited: May 22, 2017
    BluesOvertookMe and telepicker97 like this.
  10. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

I quit reading it long ago. Matt Taibbi or whatever and his obvious political bias are insufferable, and they stopped actually reporting on any real music decades ago.

They did it to themselves, and they're getting what they deserve.

LarryP likes this.
  11. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Because Penny Lane broke his heart.

LarryP and vegafleet like this.
  12. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

They have shrunk it down to the size of all other regular magazines; it's the "wallpaper effect".

13. jjhunsecker

Does anyone remember that for a few years in the 1980s, Rolling Stone had a spin-off magazine called "The Record" that ONLY dealt with music ? I vaguely recall Dave Marsh having a lot to do with this publication...I probably have some copies in my basement somewhere

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  14. psubliminal

psubliminal Forum Resident

I collect old rock mags, including Creek. Always wished whoever owns it would do a DVD collection of back issues like Rolling Stone did. I recently made contact with the guy who founded Creem (Tony Reay). He Drop-boxed me HQ scans of the first three issues; I previously only had one issue from their debut year.

15. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Sure I do. I have all of the copies I purchased here somewhere. Neil Young was on the cover of one issue. And the
    Heart edition had a rather, uh, sultry photo of the Wilson sisters on the front of the tabloid.

16. jjhunsecker

I recall that Dave Marsh had a column on the first inside page of every issue

17. Commander Lucius Emery

Commander Lucius Emery Forum Resident

I think I ended up with a few issues when "Trouser Press" folded and they took over my subscription. The only thing I remember is they had an article that blasted Berlin and Missing Persons for emphasizing the sexuality of its female singers...and immediately praised Madonna for doing so.

18. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I still subscribe. 52 issues (about two years) is only $20. I don't have time to read it as much, but they often have a decent piece to read. For the price, why not?

ARK and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  19. RelayerNJ

RelayerNJ Forum Resident

I agree with this. Their journalists are top notch and they seem to get pretty candid access to many different celebs and really paint a clear picture of their lifestyles and persona. They are also well trained at interviewers. They like to use the "give 'em enough rope" routine, or just hand around long enough to get more insight. One of my recent favs was the piece on Kid Rock. KR took him down to his southern home and he tried to paint a picture of how he was this salt of the earth kinda guy. RS probed enough to find out this is just one of his many homes all over the country, and his budget concerts he was doing that year was really a way to promote his new beer or something.

20. apple-richard

apple-richard *Overnight Sensation*

Around 15 years ago they had a deal; lifetime subscription for $50. My wife got it for me. I'm 57 and the subscription runs out when I turn 92.

ARK likes this.
  21. Exile On My Street

Exile On My Street Senior Member

Wow, so Rolling Stone knows how long your 'lifetime' will be? I'd be afraid to subscribe for that reason because, with my luck, they may come back and tell me my lifetime subscription is only good for three years.

jlykos, ARK and apple-richard like this.
  22. I discovered Record in the same way after TP folded. I recall it was a yuppie-targeted mag, a bit staid but worth checking out occasionally as they paid some attention to the burgeoning alt-rock scene. Didn't know it was Stone-affiliated, assuming it's the same mag.

23. deredordica

deredordica Music Freak

Rolling Stone still exists?

24. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

Darn tootin'. And everyone's favourite rocker Lorde is on the cover of the new ish. And, yes,
    there are CD reviews.....including a combo from Liverpool called the Beatles!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.