No boxsets in your collection?!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Pinhead, Jul 17, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spinmeout

Spinmeout Forum Resident

Only have one boxset, which is a Simon n Garfunkel set on vinyl.

I find I don't listen to it as much as if I just had the individual albums, that's why I avoid getting boxsets, they just sit on my shelf.

2. olegrayman

olegrayman Senior Member

Box sets make no sense to me because:

1. I don’t need to have every single album by the artist I like. And if I don’t like an album I don’t keep it for the sake of having complete discography;
    2. I can’t imagine listening to two albums by the same artist back to back. It bores me to death;
    3. Alt mixes, remixes, bonus tracks don’t interest me.

With that being said, I have a few, all on vinyl.

Return To Forever – Live The Complete Concert. 4 x vinyl box set. This is the only way to get the complete concert, or so I thought at the time when I bought it.

Tommy Bolin – The Ultimate. 3 x vinyl box set compilation. When I had my Tommy phase, I could not get enough. I bought this before having all individual albums. I still don’t have Moxy and most likely never will, so this will do.

ELP – ELP/Tarkus/Pictures, 3 x vinyl box set. I never have a problem leaving a record store empty handed, but not that time. I planned to compare to regular Atlantics/ATCOs (this is on Italian Manticore) but never did.

Fish – Credo. 12” single and fold out poster in a box set. This was a gift.

3. goat65cars

goat65cars Jerry A Great Dog We Miss You RIP 2002 To 2020

Beatles Mono Box Sets Both UK CD And Vinyl.
    Beatles Stereo UK Blue Box.
    Sgt. Pepper 50TH Cd Box Set
    Beatles Japanese Cd Box Set.
    Beatles Capitol Vol. 1 And Vol. 2 Box Set.

4. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

I've got a lot of box sets. Most of them are anthologies. For bands with a lot of singles, its often the best way to get them for me. I'd rather plot down a 12" LP over getting up every 3 minutes to swap out 45s. Some are collected albums. Others are live or unreleased collections. But most of my collection by a large margin are individual albums.

5. I love them, the only problem is finding the time to listen to it all and finding enough room to store it all.

6. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

Ever since the manager of a large retail chain (the manager being my sister) held a 50% off all box sets sale, which combined with her staff discount got me the Floyd Shine On box for £40, I have been addicted to a good box set.:D

7. carrolls

carrolls Forum Resident

Quite a few down through the years. Some are really difficult to to find now.

Malina likes this.
  8. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Maybe in your wonderful country. Here...used 70's Bowie vinyl was never particularly common, at least in my travels starting around 2007-08 or so. (Nor, apparently was US Bowie vinyl all that great). There were (and probably still are) always copies of the 80's albums, but the good stuff? Always way overpriced, even going back 8-10 years.

Man at C&A likes this.
  9. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Not true. My Beatles set fits perfectly fine in my Kallax with about one millimeter to spare!

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  10. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

To be honest I'm probably going back longer than that. It's amazing how quickly time goes by! I last got Bowie albums cheap about 3 years ago. They were a UK Hunky Dory and Canadian Pin Ups for £1 each. The Pin Ups sounds great, it's a loud cut that just rocks. I gave Hunky Dory away to a friends 12 year old son as I already had it twice (original laminated sleeve & a later mid 70s pressing).

Even the 80s albums are hard to find now.

11. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

For the biggies, next to the lp's
    Ugh, my 242 is shedding :laugh:
    [​IMG]

12. Malina

Malina Forum Resident

I have lots of box sets that don't fall into your categories. Here is a small sample.

Atlantic R&B 1947-1974
    Atlantic Soul 1959-1975
    Atlantic Vocal Groups
    Capricorn Records Presents – The Cobra Records Story
    Capricorn Records Presents – The Jewel/Paula Records Story
    Capricorn Records Presents – The Fire/Fury Records Story
    Capricorn Records Presents – The Scepter Records Story
    Capricorn Records Presents – The Swingtime Records Story
    Chess Rhythm & Roll
    Hi Records: Royal Memphis Soul
    Hi Times: The Hi Records R&B Years
    The King Records Story
    The Okeh Rhythm & Blues Story 1949-1957
    The Philly Sound: Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff & The Story Of Brotherly Love (1966-1976)
    Philadelphia International Records - The 40th Anniversary Box Set
    The Mercury Blues ‘N’ Rhythm Story 1945-1955
    Hitsville USA – The Motown Singles Collection 1959-1971
    Hitsville USA – The Motown Singles Collection 1972-1992
    The Motortown Revue Collection
    Sam Cooke’s SAR Records Story 1959-1965
    The Specialty Story
    Stompin’ At The Savoy: The Original Indie-Label 1944-1961
    The Complete Stax Singles 1959-1968
    Vee-Jay Celebrating 40 Years Of Classic Hits 1953-199
    Vee-Jay: The Definitive Collection

13. Added the New Bowie box (it's messed up so wait...)

And have coming in the forthcoming months:
    Deep Purple
    Bread

14. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Christmas.
    Wishlist
    Elvis
    Beatles
    Frank Sinatra
    Beach Boys
    VU
    Big ⭐️

Fullbug likes this.
  15. Kicker55

Kicker55 Forum Resident

I do not want to imagine life without James Brown's Star Time.

audiomixer likes this.
  16. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Nawt a whole lot, but here's two I really love:
    Tom Petty and Heartbreakers, Playback, first week of release. With three disks of outtakes, it was like getting three new Tom CDs at once. I was in heaven.
    Aerosmith, Pandora's Box, drove through rush hour traffic to get it the first day of release. Really strong box set with a lot a great memories.

Malina likes this.
  17. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I have quite a few and find many don't get played enough. I tend to buy them to get the material I don't already have, such as previoulsy unreleased material. So what happens is I end up extracting that material as a playlist on my Ipod and listen to them.

That said, some box sets are critical to own. My choice

Dave Swarbrick- Swarb!!
    Charlie Parker - Boss Bird Studio Recordings 1944-51
    Stephen Stills - Carry On
    Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers- Playback
    Bing Crosby CBS Radio Recordings 1954-56

18. Fridgetoo

Fridgetoo Senior Member

I have numerous box sets both CD & LP, however, I keep the CD ones in their boxes but the records I have out on the shelves and store the boxes, it is easier to access.

19. The Revealer

The Revealer Forum Status: Paused Indefinitely

I have a deluxe edition or two, but no box sets!!

EDIT: Oops. There's that Stax/Volt Singles CD set I bought unboxed w/o booklet. Am I disqualified?

DOUBLE EDIT: I guess there are things I never considered box sets that count. Coltrane Classic Quartet complete recordings on CD. Gotta count, right? Grateful Dead "So Many Roads" rarities collection. Hendrix 'Stages' 4 live show CD set. Huh. I never thought of any of these as BOX Sets. I'm guilty as charged....

20. NapalmBrain

NapalmBrain Forum Resident

I'm too poor to actively collect them but I have a handful:
    Neutral Milk Hotel Vinyl Collection
    Lush - Origami
    Bob Dylan - Bootleg Series Vol. 8
    Postal Service - Give Up (3 LP version)
    Jeff The Brotherhood - Past 7" Recordings

21. Crawlin From The Wreckage

Crawlin From The Wreckage Custom Titled

Probably like many here, I started buying box sets of my favorite artists. At some point I came to realize a few facts about my listening habits.

I first realized I had listened to these sets once, and once only, all the way through. And then not even because I liked what I heard, but I felt the need to go through it once mainly to exclude any manufacturing defects.

The second realization was, that I found I really didn't need the alternate take "without the harp" or the alternate early mix. It was like " okay, heard that, didn't really rock my boat, next" type of thing.

The third and final realization was, that I had a lot of music taking up a lot of space that I had zero interest in listening to ever again. So I unloaded most of the sets. What I kept was all the multi-artist boxes - Nuggets, Stax, Chess, Atlantic - and a few (very few) by single artists. After that, I made the conscious decision to divert my disposable income to artists/music previously unknown to me.

I've lived happily ever after since. Of course YMMV.

The Revealer likes this.
  22. TonyCzar

TonyCzar Forum Resident

They say you never forget your first:

[​IMG]

Four color-coded LPs with a brochure that gave the tracklisting for all the source albums of the selected hits.

23. Mister President

Mister President Forum Resident

Funny that The Beatles Anthology on VHS was a massive box of the whole thing while the albums were separated. You'd think they would have put a box set by now the all the music...or have they?

24. Terrapin Station

Terrapin Station Master Guns

Well, or even illegally if you're a classical fan. You can't find most of that stuff via those sources (at least I can't). Classical box sets are the bulk of what I buy lately.

Purple Jim likes this.
  25. Rojo

Rojo Forum Resident

You are not the only one. I also own a 4 CD comp in a cardoboard slipcase that was given to me as a present, but no boxsets.

I could be interested in some but they tend to be expensive.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.