No reports on Superbit Lawrence of Arabia?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by lil.fred, Nov 4, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock Thread Starter

Anyone? How'd they do? The soundtrack, the edge enhancement, the color ... ?

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Sadly, they f*cked up this Superbit release (more so than the original canvas DVD set). David Lean's masterpiece is now in B&W and non-anamorphic!!!!!*

*only kidding..... :)

3. lil.fred

lil.fred Señor Sock Thread Starter

Haw

Bump.

4. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

The soundtrack flubs have been fixed. The color timing has been fixed. The edge ringing artifacts are still there, but the are reduced in magnitude. It looks and sounds very nice to me.

Regards,

5. Xyzzy

Xyzzy New Member

Thanks for the info, Ken. I will now buy a copy.

6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Ben, I was just in a goofy mood with that post.

Robert Harris supvervised the work done on the new Superbit DVD. As Ken states, all fixed and very respectable. The desert scenes are no longer beautiful looking (as per David Lean's intent).

Todd

7. Ken_McAlinden

The only major criticism I have heard is that some people don't like the fact that the disc break occurs before the first act is complete. This was done to allow for a higher bitrate throughout, and the second disc spins up immediately without any menus or FBI warnings, so it doesn't bother me too much.

Regards,

8. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

I have not popped this one in my player yet but The Perfect Vision gave it a nice review.

9. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Here's my take on it:

Voila!

10. Ken_McAlinden

By the way, Colin's review reminded me of something. Some folks haven't checked it out yet, but if you have the previous canvas cover 2-disc DVD of Lawrence, and you also have PC DVD-ROM access, the best supplement on the disc by far is the DVD-ROM feature "Archives of Arabia". The printed descriptions on the package do not give a good idea of what this supplement is, but it is essentially an interactive annotation for the whole movie. For each chapter on the disc, there is information about when and where the scene was shot as well as other behind the scenes information about the film related to that scene. For this reason more than any other, I am keeping the previous Limited Edition next to my PC and the Superbit near my television.

Regards,

11. John Moschella

John Moschella Senior Member

Ken,
    Exactly my feeling, keep the canvas 2 disc set for the special features. The DVD-rom features you mentioned are some of the best I've encountered so far. Its enough to keep you busy for hours and provides a great historical perspective on the Middle East and how the modern Arab countries and Israel came to be. I particularly like the timeline feature.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.