Non fluid stylus cleaner?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by wpjs, Nov 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wpjs

wpjs Forum Resident Thread Starter

thoughts?
    I currently do not have a stylus cleaner.
    I would prefer a fluid less system
    I found 2-
    Zero dust $69
    Extreme phono $29

2. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

3. adamdube

adamdube Forum Resident

Magic Eraser

4. russk

russk Forum Resident

timztunz likes this.
  5. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

I love the zerodust -- non abrasive and effective -- and just a good sturdy brush for times when large clumps of loose dust might accumulate.

Liquid Len and No Static like this.
  6. Joe Spivey

Joe Spivey Forum Resident

I found the zerodust to work slightly better than magic eraser but both are successful. I think the zerodust does a better job at gripping dust/dirt and removing it completely. I also like the plastic shell for storage purposes. The top cap doubles as a magnifying lens as well.

jupiterboy likes this.
  7. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

This

ParloFax likes this.
  8. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

timztunz likes this.
  9. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

And I think still is at some places.

10. timztunz

timztunz Audioista

Have you ever had any negative effects or experience using the Magic Eraser? It seems like I've seen something about some thinking it's too abrasive.

11. russk

russk Forum Resident

I haven't but I only use the magic eraser maybe once a month and the Zerodust right after and weekly. That combined with using the dustcover in my RP6 and record vacuuming keeps everything sounding great and 95% + surface noise free

Sailfree likes this.
  12. I have been using the Magic Eraser with great results, however I just bought the ZeroDust for around $30. In my own mind, I believe the ZeroDust works maybe just a little bit better-----probably only because it cost 30X more than the Magic Eraser. :agree: I am upgrading my cart with a ruby/sapphire cantilever and paratrace diamond. I would not be afraid to use the ME with it, but the ZeroDust just seems more "kosher" for lack of a better word. Now that you can get ZeroDust for much less than the usual $70, cost is not so much of a concern. (Safer than ME? maybe so and maybe not. Both work great)

timztunz likes this.
  13. russk

russk Forum Resident

I veiw the cleaning the magic eraser does as a more thorough scrubbing or scrapping off of stuff and the Zerodust as a more gentiler stick to dust and pull off.

Sailfree likes this.
  14. I agree with your analysis on this. Some are concerned about the abrasive properties of the ME, however a diamond is extremely hard and I am not really worried about it damaging the stylus. I am more concerned that the ME may leave tiny bits of "foam or foam-dust", although it is really good at cleaning off any gunk caked on the stylus. I like your plan of using the ME once a month for more robust cleaning and the ZeroDust in between for general maintenance. I have super cleaned most of my albums now, so hopefully my stylus stays relatively clean and the ZeroDust and ME will keep it sparkling!

15. cat9

cat9 Forum Resident

Zerodust

16. mikemoon

mikemoon Forum Resident

Do most of you use a non-toxic soap to clean the zero dust?

17. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Right, not just the abrasiveness, but the flakiness of melamine foam, which is what Magic Eraser is. Certainly it leaves behind a residue when used wet as per the conventional application as a wet cleaning sponge. Not sure what if anything it can leave behind dry, but just like I never liked the idea of using that little piece of sandpaper to clean a stylus, I don't like the melamine foam or having any kind of abrasive material around the records or rubbing the stylus, especially since there's a non abrasive cleaner that works well.

18. sfrost

sfrost Forum Resident

D&K electro sonic stylus cleaner

Warren Jarrett likes this.
  19. Warren Jarrett

Warren Jarrett Audio Note (UK) dealer in SoCal/LA-OC In Memoriam

I second any ultrasonic, electronic stylus cleaner (to be used occasionally) . But a stiff brish with fluid is almost as good.

Furthemore I recommend two cleaners, so also an Enzo Zerodust (to be used extremely often).

A brush with fluid or electronic brush cleans the stylus and cantilever. The Zerodust only cleans the stylus tip, but VERY GENTLY.

20. Nick Scott

Nick Scott Forum Resident

I use the Onzow after every record. Doing this, I find the stylus never actually gets dirty.
    Just lower it in while I'm choosing the next record.

21. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Expert stylus, who should know about such things informed me that alcohol based cleaners can detach the stylus from cantilever in extreme cases.
    The solution, alcohol free glass cleaner in aerosol form, from specsavers. Apply with a brush or cotton bud( be cautious here) i prefer a soft paint brush type, and do it every other record.
    In practice, i,ve known performance to suffer simply because a lump of crud became fused to the tip. Stylus was too higj in groove and the result: horrendous mistracking.

22. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

I can't imagine it would cause any issues for diamond. And melamine is a fairly soft plastic. It doesn't work by being "abrasive" - it works because it's extremely absorbent and sticky at the microscopic/molecular level. It's like a little dust and dirt sponge.

23. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

It absolutely is abrasive. That's how it works as a cleaner. If you've ever used Magic Eraser as intended -- slightly dampened to scour dirt from surfaces -- you'll sell just how abrasive it can be -- it's very much like find grit sand paper or sanding pads -- and you see that it also leaves behind kind of "erasure crumbs." https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melamine_foam or http://hubpages.com/living/Melamine-foam-cleaning-product-Look-out-for-the-danger:

It's a sponge, yet it acts like very fine sandpaper. In fact, the type of sponge is microscopically more like wire-wool than a typical kitchen sponge. It's what is called an 'open cell' structure which means that it is a nest-like structure. Therefore it is flexible, even though the filaments are rigid. The filaments are very hard, in fact almost as hard as glass. But they are also brittle which is why these sponges wear away quickly. However, the open cell structure traps dirt that is scratched off by the filaments, and the flexibility allows you to get into dips and curves.

I don't know if you get crumbs when using it dry, but basically dipping your stylus in a ME is like scraping is with tiny plastic abrasive fibers. I don't doubt that can get the thing clean, and it's probably not damaging the stylus tip which is diamond, but personally I prefer a non-abrasive cleaning method.

Liquid Len likes this.
  24. Gavinyl

Gavinyl Remembering Member

What he said mate !

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  25. sunspot42

sunspot42 Forum Resident

Actually, I've used them a lot, even to clean plastic, and haven't noticed any abrasion. I wonder if different Magic Erasers contain different amounts - or kinds - of "abrasives".

Anyhow, you're cleaning diamond. That's not gonna get scratched by the stuff in a Magic Eraser.

Just be careful to only dip the stylus into the eraser. Don't drag it, or you could rip it off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.