Norah Jones "Day Breaks" (new album - October 2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by agentalbert, Aug 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Groovy

Groovy Forum Resident

When I saw it I thought, "Oh, I gotta have one of those" but I think it's just the translucent orange vinyl on a cork mat. Sure looks cool though.

BrewCrew82 and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. BrewCrew82

BrewCrew82 The Most Notable Member

Yes, sorry it is on a cork mat. I should have taken a picture before, but it looks cool either way :righton:

3. sassi

sassi Forum Resident

I just bought my copy from the local store. I got the orange one. It was the only one they had of the album. :)

[​IMG]

Some amount of non-fill on the B-side. This was pressed at Optimal. I am not sure should I return it. I am not sure if it is that bad... dang... noticeable on the left channel mostly.

Otherwise very nice pressing and good sonics and mastering. :)

whaiyun and coffeetime like this.
  4. I think Pallas has only pressing plants in Europe. The USA thing is an office.

DeRosa likes this.
  5. jamjuice

jamjuice Member

Hey - I just got the orange vinyl fromBarnes and Noble - Has anyone noticed any annoying warble effects or do I have a dodgy copy?

6. John

John Senior Member

Thats what I thought as well.

Thinking of getting this, but a little concerned about pressing quality so I appreciate input from those who have shared their vinyl experiences.

7. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

My orange vinyl directly ordered from Norah Jones store has noise constantly throughout.

this is a non starter for her somber - open spaced music

It sounds like non fill - but I have never seen it so consistent

this is the worst surface noise I have ever heard

And I ran it once, then twice after hearing it through my KLaudio Ultrasonic record cleaner

Strike 2 on orange vinyl - Wilco Schilco was strike one

on the performance side

Love how she interweaves such different gifted musicians through her album

I will really enjoy this once I get a playable copy

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  8. jamjuice

jamjuice Member

I've just ordered a replacement from B&S.

9. whaiyun

whaiyun Forum Resident

Sad to see lots of reports of issues.
    Here's a small sample of what I hear.

10. Satrus

Satrus Forum Resident

I wonder about this? Rhiannon Giddens' self titled Nonesuch LP has 'PUSA' stamped in the deadwax. I tried two copies (an original and a replacement) both sourced from Import CDs in the U.S. and each one was scratched and noisy in places. To make matters worse, both copies were unbelievably badly warped, 16 hours on a disc flattening machine, for each title! Pallas in Germany, like everybody else produces its share of duds too, but I wonder if there is some sort of a manufacturing operation in the U.S.A. at this point in time? The Rhiannon vinyl was €38 here in Ireland so that suggests a U.S. Import to me. It was expensive in the U.K. and Germany as well. That's why I ordered from Import CDs!

The European Optimal black vinyl seems to be the way go with the Norah LP. It has the U.S. mastering and is flat and quiet. It comes in a black polylined inner sleeve. I would steer clear of the orange vinyl myself.

paulewalnutz likes this.
  11. No Pallas manufacturing in the US but some releases are initiated here. All pressed in Europe.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  12. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

I've been listening to the download for the last few days as I haven't been able to find time to spin the vinyl. Looking forward to finally getting to it this weekend. The music is excellent.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  13. Just got my rp6 back home after a small tune up. Popped this album on first. Black vinyl and it sounds fabulous.

Her voice melts me and it's great to hear Wanye Shorter on several tracks. A beautiful recording as usual and I have it cranked to 58 on my Rotel. Usually records sound this loud at 52.

snkcube, John, whaiyun and 3 others like this.
  14. John

John Senior Member

Hi Mazzy- Like you I'm in the USA as well. Where did you get your copy? Sounds like a good one.

Thanks

DLant likes this.
  15. DLant

DLant The Upstate Gort Staff

My Orange copy has some surface noise, I might give it a run in the spin clean later today

16. Bought it at a local Seattle record shop.

DLant likes this.
  17. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

If it's on track 1 and left channel I have the same problem - 6 or 7 revs. Does suggest it's risky getting a replacement. BTW these I think are pressed at Record industry though cut at Optimal. I have the black vinyl.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2016
  18. John

John Senior Member

Cut at Optimal, I'm getting lost. I thought all were cut by Bernie. Did he only cut for the U.S.A and not the EU release?

19. DeRosa

DeRosa Vinyl Forever

The EU version was not "cut" at Optimal, the vinyl was pressed there.

It looks like the mastering was done in New York at Sterling Sound by Greg Calbi, and Bernie Grundman cut the lacquer.
    His studio is in California, so he probably worked from a digital file prepared by Sterling,
    and the lacquers Bernie made were shipped to the pressing plants to be plated, from which they make the stampers.
    https://www.discogs.com/Norah-Jones-Day-Breaks/master/1069422

Since there are two different regions licensed (Europe and USA) it's common for two pressings plants to be used,
    in this case, the EU version was pressed at Optimal, and the USA version was pressed at Pallas, (black and orange versions)
    Both vinyl factories are actually in Germany, the "P.USA" stamp from Pallas is just to indicate the region where the
    edition is sold.

Satrus, tak_a_tak, John and 1 other person like this.
  20. John

John Senior Member

Thanks DeRosa, that clears it up.

DeRosa likes this.
  21. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

I would've never bought this had it not been for the very positive review by the great Bud Scoppa(so happy that he's still writing music reviews) in the November issue of Uncut. One of the very few reviewers left that trust completely. Picked it up and liked, not loved, it first time around. Pretty much the same as her first lp, which I felt the same about. That said, the standard black pressing is excellent, flat and quiet, no problems. I'll continue to give it a chance, but I think I'm going to have to be in the right mood to listen to this one.

jamesmaya likes this.
  22. jamesmaya

jamesmaya Senior Member

:thumbsup: Bud Scoppa. Now that's a blast from the past.

23. sberger

sberger Dream Baby Dream

You're telling me.

24. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I think my favorite is the Neil Young cover, though all of it is very tasty. Very soulful vocal and arrangement.

25. weekendtoy

weekendtoy Rejecting your reality and substituting my own.

Picked up the Target version over the weekend. This is my first Norah Jones purchase since 2004's Feels Like Home.

I'm really digging it. She's kind of come back to the more sparse arrangements that caught the world by storm with Come Away With Me, but more 'jazzy' this time around.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.