”Norm Macdonald Has a Show” launching September 14, 2018 on Netflix

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by AKA, Aug 21, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

It's just his opinion though that Barr and CK have it worse than their victims and the rest of what he said. It's ok to have opinions.

One could have the opinion that Jimmy Fallon is a no-talent loser who probably has a secret rap sheet of #metoo moments himself kept quiet at NBC like Lauer. But everyone can stand and applaud that he cancelled MacDonald's appearance because he was insensitive. Comedy is insensitive. Reputation isn't. It's ultra-sensitive these days.

So he issues an apology. Not that his opinion has changed. Just that he's sorry if people were offended by his opinion. Ask him again the same questions and I'll bet you'd get the same answers. But he'd probably riff on everyone's perceptions being so sensitive these days.

There is definitely a disturbing over-correction going on in modern times that has the potential of being very dangerous to justice and to reason imo.

spanky1, asdf35, pdenny and 4 others like this.
  2. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

His moth joke is one of the funniest stories I ever heard. All about the delivery. I'll have to check out his new show.

3. balzac

balzac Senior Member

Yes, but MacDonald tried to have it both ways in his interview. He dropped some very politically-charged "opinions" in the piece, but then backed off and claimed politics shouldn't enter into comedy, etc.

He's allowed to have his opinions, *of course.* Even the opinion that the current president isn't really impacting anything short-term or long-term (which I'm surprised isn't getting more criticism than his other comments), which seemed to be one of the strongest indicators that he's living a weird bubble. But in any event, he can have ANY opinion. The shows (and producers, etc.) putting him on TV are also allowed to have opinions, and apparently the opinion of the Fallon show was that they didn't want MacDonald on their show.

MacDonald pleads ignorance largely to the garbage Roseanne Barr has been posting for *years* online. That alone tells me he's unqualified to even weigh in on anything to do with Roseanne. If he wants to say CK and Barr are his friends he wants to support them, that's in some ways admirable. But he professes not to be supporting them *despite* their actions, but instead seems to feel they are the ones that have suffered.

In short, MacDonald isn't offering a thoughtful treatise on the pros and cons of the "Me Too" movement. Such a thoughtful piece would be welcomed, even including some coarse, straight-forward comments from the likes of MacDonald. But he clearly supports the abusive people and seems to loathe the specific accusers (in my opinion), rather than simply pointing out that "hey, maybe some accusers are making it up."

I'd prefer he just state what he feels. I want to know his opinion. That may also mean that any number of people or organizations don't want to be around a person with those views. It's his right to have those opinions, and everyone else's right to not associate with him if they choose not to.

trd likes this.
  4. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

OK, let's cool it on the politics and race talk. Back to Norm.

5. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Always liked him. He's one of those comedians who only seems to resonate with men, while women seem to find him boring and unfunny.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  6. Jason Manley

Jason Manley Senior Member

Norm will be on The View tomorrow, FYI.

7. Claxton

Claxton I like chicks and cars and partyin’ hard

My only issue is.....

Do I binge through all of the episodes when they come out, or pace myself?

Knox Harrington and George P like this.
  8. Jason Manley

LOL... I'm finally finishing up the Howard Stern interview from this morning. Towards the end, Howard invited Adam Eget into the studio and I thought, at last — we're going to learn a bit of Adam's background and where Norm got him to be a sidekick, for real — nope.

Norm stepped in before there was anything past Adam's booking job at the Laugh Factory with some nonsensical gibberish that I cannot repeat here. :laugh:

[​IMG]

George P likes this.
  9. artfromtex

artfromtex Honky Tonkin' Metal-Head

Comedy needs more people like Norm, Bill Burr, and Jerry Seinfeld. I know Jerry is tame, but he HATES all the PC crap.

Comedians are supposed to go too far and offend us. Going over the line is the whole point.

Everyone needs to have a beer and chill the eff out!!

spanky1, Gumboo, MikeMig and 11 others like this.
  10. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Now Down’s Syndrome jokes? The dude is seriously self-sabotaging. Not the first time.

11. Yeah, he was way too hard on poor old OJ.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  12. Jason Manley

I heard that during the Stern interview. I could almost swear he was stopping himself from saying the "R" word that was once so common to express idiotic behavior but is now very out of place. If I had to guess he was trying to self correct and also make a joke at the same time on not using the "R" word.

I laughed... dunno what that says about me. :shh:

Dudley Morris likes this.
  13. bartels76

bartels76 Forum Hall Of Fame

I heard him on Stern yesterday. Is it me or does he speak slower now? I feel like it screws up his delivery. He's not like 80+ years old. I can understand if he was at an advanced age if that issue was going on.

14. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

One of the towering figures of the 20th century has to be

James Brolin!

the pope ondine and Jason Manley like this.
  15. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Depends on the day. He's a night owl and a lot of appearances of his are made during the hours, maybe even the morning. Can't say I'm surprised he'd look and sound groggy and slow.

But even his on-stage act is much slower. Look at some stuff from the early 90s and you'll barely recognize him. High-pitched nasal voice and a much faster cadence.

But that isn't out of the ordinary. Dave Chappelle is the same ; much lower pitch and much slower cadence. They're growing older and slower, just like most of us. :)

16. PrancyTheWonderBug

PrancyTheWonderBug Forum Resident

Also could be nerves, a younger comedian would be more nervous and nervous people speak more quickly.

17. DaveySR

DaveySR Forum Resident

[​IMG]

905 and Jason Manley like this.
  18. Jason Manley

In honor of Norm's show going up on Netflix tomorrow, I thought I would post this amusing story he told on the Conan show a couple of years ago about the late Chris Farley.

His delivery is everything here.

19. Jason Manley

...and you guessed it, FRANK STALLONE.

BluesOvertookMe and PonceDeLeroy like this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  21. bartels76

I guess I have to get used to it. I understand a singers voice would change with age so I guess it happens to some comedians as well. Carlin and Rivers were an expection. Even Rickles aside from the last few years of his life seemed the same as he always was.

22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I was looking at clips of Johnny Carson recently. Some were when he was in his 30s and other in his 60s. The difference was quite obvious. Online clips of Norm span 3 decades and the difference is equally obvious.

We all would like our favorite performers to be frozen in time but it's a cruel wench. :p

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  23. Jason Manley

I'll just leave this here. Norm on The View this morning.

At about the 3:00 minute mark Norm all but confirms my thinking about his "Downs Syndrome" comment from Stern yesterday.

I feel like I'm in Norm's head.

[​IMG]

Watching this interview is like watching someone take a turtle and put it on its back. Poor Normy.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2018
  24. bartels76

This interview is a bit awkward but the good thing is that he is talking to 2 comedians that understand his plight. Whoopi helps him out greatly plugging/selling his show at the end. They could've really pounced on him if they wanted to.

25. asdf35

asdf35 Forum Resident

Not sure if this thread has been graced by the Frog joke, but why not post it anyway.

Beware if you're the sensitive type. Just kidding, I think corny jokes are still legal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.