Northern Exposure fans?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by guidedbyvoices, Jul 28, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records Thread Starter

Great article here
    http://www.rogerebert.com/demanders/magical-realism-nothern-exposure-25-years-later

It came out when I was in high school and it appealed to me way more than Twin Peaks (which it was often compared to). When I met my wife, it was one of the first things we realized we had in common and after we were married watched the first two seasons sets on dvd. And talking about it today, maybe subconsciously our move to west Texas had seeds in the show, because our town has that mix of art, culture, and middle of nowhere-ness.

Geir, levi and Jerry Horne like this.
  2. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

My wife and I also watched it faithfully when we were first married. I found a few of the characters annoying, like the receptionist and sometimes Ed. But overall it was very enjoyable. One of the best 'closing' episodes when Morrow left. They should have stopped the show then and there. It was sad and pitiful after he left

Solaris and guidedbyvoices like this.
  3. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

My roommate at the time liked it. I felt it was a slow-motion Newhart. I tolerated it for Janine Turner. Akin to my nephew watching the chatterfest, Dawson's Creek, with the sound off for Katie Holmes.

4. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

I liked that show a lot. It would be fun to have a radio station like the one in the show.

She is anyway and levi like this.
  5. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

My memories of the show are pretty dim now. I liked the first two or three seasons but I recall that I started to get bored with the situation and the characters after a while... it was hard to introduce much novelty given the isolated circumstances they were in (and if they did it was usually a contrivance) so there would be yet another story about Holling and Shelly's generation gap, Maurice feuding with somebody, Fleischman and Maggie breaking up or getting back together... it became repetitive. It was charming when it started, though, if a bit cutesy at times.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  6. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records Thread Starter

Agreed though the finale introduced me to Iris Dement since they used her Our Town

guppy270, She is anyway and kevywevy like this.
  7. GullGutt

GullGutt Hei hopp

I loved the first few seasons...and Janine Turner was pretty easy on the eyes :love:
    [​IMG]

Geir, Scope J and guidedbyvoices like this.
  8. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

I loved Northern Exposure - it was one of the few shows that my father and I both loved equally, and could enjoy watching together. We were both huge fans of the Adam storyline, and Adam Arkin's performance as that character. That whole idea was just brilliant, insane, and hilarious. As a matter of fact, my Dad decided to try his hand at learning how to cook thanks to that little spark. He and my Mom went on an Alaska trip where they visited Roslyn, Washington to check out where Northern Exposure was filmed, and took cooking classes while on that vacation. He passed away in 2011.

I'd love to see the series again from the beginning, but the music rights issues surrounding the home video releases make it far less enjoyable to watch than it should be.

Max Florian and She is anyway like this.
  9. One of the best series ever, until Joel left. I visited Roslyn while the show was still in production. They weren't there that day but everything else was. I looked past the "Chris in the morning " sign at the DJ booth. I saw Joel's office and had a beer at the Brick, which is completely different inside. Coolest of all was standing at the counter in Ruth - Annes store. It's a real store, the "set" was right inside the door with yellow "hot set" tape wrapped around it. I even bought a NE t-shirt there.

Max Florian, She is anyway and levi like this.
  10. HenryH

HenryH Miserable Git

Definitely one of my favorite shows at the time. Great characters, great writing. Funny thing though, it's difficult to remember specific episodes. I guess I haven't watched any episodes since it went off the air. Really would like to go through the series again.

11. Eric B.

Eric B. Active Member

Big Janine Turner crush, and as a young audio engineering student , I wanted to BE 'Chris in the morning' :righton:

Solaris, She is anyway and levi like this.
  12. Harvest Your Thoughts

Harvest Your Thoughts Forum Resident

Easily the greatest TV show ever made.

I've watched all the seasons from beginning to end many times.

If only it had gone on for 15 seasons or something. That would have been cool.

Too late for a reunion show now. A few of the key players have died or aren't in the best shape anymore - it probably wouldn't work.

13. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Too bad the Joel-going-home episode wasn't the series finale (the show limped along for another half-season), it would have gone down as one of the all time best finales...

Last edited: Jul 29, 2015
  14. levi

levi Can't Stand Up For Falling Down In Memoriam

Loved the show, and I want so much to one day catapult a piano into the great beyond. :cool:

[​IMG]

She is anyway and Eric B. like this.
  15. Boris number 9

Boris number 9 Forum Resident

One of the few episodic tv shows I loved. I remember the one where Dr Joel discovers this hamlet of 200 people has a "Little Italy" and he finds an Italian bistros in this guys basement. The other one I remember the really old guy digs up a 10,000 year
    Old Mammoth and is grilling giant steaks.

She is anyway likes this.
  16. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

Waiting for the ice to crack and the flying man.
    You haven't flinged until you've flung.

jerol

She is anyway likes this.
  17. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Really loved that show, one of these days I'll have to revisit it. Fans of of the show might want to check out another version of the premise, "Men In Trees" from a few years back which starred Anne Heche as a New York magazine writer who winds up in small town Alaska, just like Joel. Even though it was a blatant rip off of the premise it was a really wonderful show IMO, with fun characters and a great troupe of actors. It only lasted a couple of seasons with 36 episodes, but sometimes that's all the good ones get.

kevywevy likes this.
  18. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

A favourite. Stayed with it till the very end. Disagree with those who felt it should have finished when Joel left. There were some great episodes after. Have series 1 and 2 on box-set. Must get around to buying the rest. It would be marvellous to see a two-parter filmed now to bring us up to date. Can't imagine who'd fund it though. Can't believe there's enough fans around to raise that kind of money.

19. Obtuse1

Obtuse1 Forum Resident

One of my all-time favorites. Would love to see it in syndication again, especially since the syndication prints retained the original music (replaced with generic music on the DVD sets, except Season 1).

The show was converted to HD and aired on Universal HD a few years back. Wonder if we can get Shout! Factory to take a crack at releasing a Blu-ray set (with music intact).

wayne66 likes this.
  20. larryk

larryk Senior Member

A co-worker and I were big fans of the show, and enjoyed discussing the weekly episodes.

So, when said co-worker decided to throw a "Northern Exposure" party, I got the bright idea to have my wife take a fabric pen and write the names of the cast members on a white T-shirt, along with drawings of Morty the Moose. I donned the shirt and took a dub of the theme music on a portable cassette player to the party.

Yes, I was the Opening Credits.

Max Florian and She is anyway like this.
  21. matthew5

matthew5 Forum Resident

I just love the setting. A perfect little town surrounded by endless and pristine wilderness.

Holy Diver likes this.
  22. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Great show. Many years ago, one of my students told me she could just imagine me watching the show. I smiled...

I still have my Chris in the Morning mug and love the smell of pine trees.

23. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Dont get me wrong, I enjoyed the post-Joel episodes and was hoping the show would go on...I just mean in retrospect the premise of the series came to a conclusion when Joel left, and it's too bad that his farewell episode was buried mid-season.

24. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

They figured that the farewell ep would generate momentum that would carry the rest of the season, I suppose.
    We stopped watching before the season even finished.

25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

I liked the show when it started in reruns. I watched it from the first episode. Had a nice "outdoors" atmosphere to it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.