Nostalgic theme songs from childhood shows?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SITKOL'76, Jul 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DaveinMA

DaveinMA Some guy

This was the theme song for BLANK.

2. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Another anime classic...I was a real fan of Gigantor in the 60s:

MonkeyLizard and Mr Hankey like this.
  3. CrazyBrown

CrazyBrown Forum Resident

The Disney Afternoon defined cartoon theme songs in my childhood; Duck Tails, Chip n Dale Rescue Rangers, Darkwing Duck, etc.

4. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

Yeah the Banana Splits was a Clubhouse show - a kind of wrapper for other cartoons and shows and 'Danger Island' was one of them. It was an adventure but with lots of really dumb 3 Stooges type comedy. Chongo was like the Gilligan of the group. He couldn't talk, just make animal noises and the only one who understood him was the big black dude, Rockne Tarkington (aka Black Samson). It was Rockne who would shout 'Uh Oh Chongo!' and Chongo would come swinging in on a vine or some such. All in all, it was pretty stupid. The one thing Jan Michael Vincent did that was actually worse than Air Wolf...

5. I used to love the old French / German TV co-production of Robinson Crusoe (1964).

It was shown extensively on British Children's TV in the 60s and 70s :-

...loved the theme music and now have it on a soundtrack CD.

Around 10 years ago got a bootleg 2 DVD for my own son to watch (despite being in Black and White he loved it).

6. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

Did anyone ever see these child singers, "Las Dilly Sisters" on the Banana Splits show? I had this Standells cover song by them on a CD and when I researched it I found out they performed it on the show, but I never recall seeing them as a kid. Must've missed it...too bad, it's one of my favorite covers:

7. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

Catweazle didn't have an especially memorable theme tune, but it was one of the best early 70's kids shows. The first series in particular.

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Definitely Mighty Mouse, love that bass.
    And the "overture" theme from the Bugs and Daffy cartoon show

9. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

BTW - Don't know if anyone's mentioned it but this is a killer comp of Saturday Morning cartoon covers...

[​IMG]

10. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

This one filled my summer afternoons between 4:00 - 4:30 for many years.

11. Scooter59

Scooter59 Forum Resident

And this one from 4:30 - 5:00

12. Django

Django Forum Resident

The theme from ALF was well funky

The Mother was hot.

13. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I enjoyed watching the opening credit / theme song clip I found on youtube this morning. Kind of a cool instrumental theme - similar to "Mission Impossible". Given that it had no words, that's why I was at a loss for being able to remember the tune - but once I saw it in the clip, it all came back to me. Watched a little clip of "Chungo" highlights... his language seemed to be a cross between monkey sounds and bird sounds... kind of like an predecessor to Michael Winslow (the "Police Academy" guy). His black friend made a comment like "Chungo understands our language, he just doesn't speak it..."

The skeleton tribe guys really used to creep me out when I was a kid. I didn't want to get stuck on a danger island with those dudes.

14. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

The first thing I thought of. That and Fireball XL-5

15. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

The closing song for Magilla Gorilla

16. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

My local station used to show reruns of "The Banana Splits." I think the Banana Splits were the basically the hosts of the show and they would run individual segments within the show like "Winsome Witch," "The Hillbilly Bears," and "Danger Island."

The problem was, they would run the episodes out of order so that I could never figure out what was going on in "Danger Island." I think they also added segments to the rerun package like "The New Adventures of Huckleberry Finn" (where the lead characters [Huckleberry Finn, Tom Sawyer, and Becky Thatcher] were live action but everything else was animated and featured Ted Cassidy as the voice of Injun Joe) and "The Adventures of Gulliver, Jr."

Mr Hankey likes this.
  17. toptentwist

toptentwist Forum Resident

I'm not sure it helped much to see the "Danger Island" episodes in sequence :)

I remember the Splits used to have some regular gags... I think one might have involved "La Cocharocha" (not sure how to spell that).

Weren't there girls on the show that dressed as grapes ?

What amusement park was that opening sequence filmed at ? I thought it was King's Island near Cincinatti but just watching it today and seeing San Francisco makes me think it was probably filmed in California. Was the park in Santa Clara (Great America?) open then ?

http://www.retroland.com/the-banana-splits/

This seemed to have multiple ideas about what amusement park was used.

Looks like it would have to be this park if it was filmed in Ohio.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coney_Island_(Cincinnati,_Ohio)

The other Cinci park gets credited by people often, but it didn't exist when the Splits sequence was filmed. The Brady Bunch and the Partridge Family visited the newer park.

Strangely, the director for "Danger Island" went on to make the Lethal Weapon movies.
    I guess Mel Gibson got to be the new Chungo.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2015
  18. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

"Teen Titans" used the theme song to give you a heads up about what kind of episode it would be. If the theme song is in English, then the episode would be serious (such as the one where Robin nearly dies trying to fight the villain Slade...that no one else can see). If the theme song is in Japanese, the episode would be funny (such as the one where Beast Boy had to fight evil tofu from outer space). If the theme song is sung by Larry, then the episode will be completely wacky and off-beat.

starduster likes this.
  19. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

Leonardo, King of Bongo Congo...

Mr Hankey and CliffL like this.
  20. geo50000

geo50000 Forum Resident

As kids, my friends and I would run around the neighborhood shouting "Stingraaaaaaay! STINGRAY!"

21. Mr Hankey

Mr Hankey If you eat fiber on Xmas Eve...

It was Six Flags Over Texas.

22. Mr Hankey

23. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident Thread Starter

OMG I remember watching Puffy Ami Umi, Fosters, Ed, Edd and Eddy, Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Ben 10 etc. I forgot about Puffy Ami Umi especially, who remembers Cartoon Network Friday nights?

24. Mr Hankey

g.z. likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.