Not all DVD-As play in all DVD-Vs and other complaints

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by LarryDavenport, Apr 30, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LarryDavenport

LarryDavenport New Member Thread Starter

I was thrilled to learn that you can play DVD-As in regular DVD players, so I picked up Zappa-Halloween, Yes-Fragile, Neil Young-Harvest, Fleetwood Mac-Rumors, and Peter Green's Fleetwood Mac-Live on the BBC. All but Rumors played on my Toshiba 1309 DVD player. Rumors just spun and spun and nothing happened (fortunately I plan on buying a Denon 2900 Universal player in July). I am dissapointed I couldn't listen to Rumors. Anyone else have problems with it?

Of all the discs that played, Harvest was the absolute best sounding. It was spooky how good it sounded in DTS 5.1 (and I understand it should sound even better in DVDA).

I also picked up the DTS 5.1 version of The Moody Blues Days of Future Passed, which sounded cool, but I think I prefer the stereo version. The 5.1 mix is fun, but gimicky. I also want to vent that like th CD, they still insist on indexing Time to Get Away with Tuesday Afternoon, and Sunset with Twilight Time. I know the songs are part of their respective suites, but sometimes I want to hear the latter songs without listening to the former.

2. lennonfan

lennonfan New Member

I have that same model of dvd player, it was bought in '98 and was one of the early ones.
    Rumours didn't play in that one either. So I got a DVD-A player reasonable, but it doesn't play SACD. So I get a universal player (pioneer elite) at $300 and it plays EVERYTHING.
    otherwise I've had no probs with DVD-A playing on my toshiba (then jvc and now pioneer)

3. Uncle Al

Uncle Al Senior Member

I can play the DD 5.1 mix of Rumours on my Sony DVD-V player, no problem. This must be a player specific issue.

4. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I don't mean to thread crap, but even if you do a little research on the web, there's a lot of Toshiba DVD players that aren't so hot... Just a warning.. A Toshiba was my 1st too...

5. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

That SD-3109 was one of my first players, too. When I got around to a Panasonic RP-91, I couldn't play DVD-A discs in that either!

What I really mean to say is that the RP-91K is/was one of the earlier DVD-A players. As such, if you are not using the analog 5.1 outputs (I wasn't), you can't listen to any 5.1 mix! For example, since the player thought you would only want to listen to DVD-A, it wouldn't give you access to the 5.1DD and DTS tracks where applicable. Newer DVD-A have a "mode" switch that allows you to access the non-DVD-A tracks. What a pain!

6. Dan

Dan Senior Member

I have a Toshiba SD-3205 changer. Rumors plays fine in that.

7. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

My Pioneer DVL-909 (a circa 1998/1999 second generation DVD player that also plays laserdiscs) locks up on many DVD-A titles. Ones I remember it having problems with for sure were the Natalie Merchant Tigerlilly and Metallica black Album DVD-A.

Regards,

8. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Most of the problems in the new formats are experienced with those who have older players. My guess is that the lasers the manufacturers use get upgraded much quicker than anything else, hence the older ones dont play certain disks, and the new ones do.

My friend has a Cd player that plays everything except a certain brand of CDR. Its really wierd!!!

9. Dan, I have the same player. My Rumours DVD audio disc plays fine as well. Other DVD audio discs I have include Steely Dan - TAN, ELP - BSS, Doobie Bros. - Capt. & Me, Neil Young - Harvest. No isssues here, other than the fact that the ELP and Fleetwood Mac discs only have a Dolby Digital playback in the DVD-V mode. All the others have a DTS 5.1 mix which blows the Dolby Digital mix out of the water, especially on the Doobie Brothers disc.

I also have 4 DTS discs; Diana Krall - Love Scenes, Sheryl Crow - Globe Sessions, Moodies - DOFP, and Steely Dan - Gaucho.

10. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

My Toshiba was an older 1/st generation player. Really sucked. Got to the point it wouldn't even play CDR or CDRW when it used to.

DVD-V was just fine...

11. LarryDavenport

I had originally bought the Toshiba 1309 because it was the cheapest DVD that had HDCD playback. At the time I didn't know that it wouldn't play CD-Rs or SACD Hybrids (and apparently the DVDA of Rumors). I need to buy another player anyway so the Denon 2900 Universal player is looking good.

12. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

I heard that someone is coming out with a 300$ player that will play everything, DVD-A , SACD, CD/CDR, Mps, DVD-R//RW/DVD+R etc.

anybody know anything about this?

13. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Rumors (one of the early big DVDA's) wouldn't play in my Toshiba 2109 either.

That made my upgrade to a Panasonic RP91 pronto. To hear Rumors in Hi-Rez was worth the upgrade.

14. Ken_McAlinden

Ken_McAlinden MichiGort Staff

Last I heard it was due out last fall from several manufacturers, but it may be late. :)

The sad thing is, I'm only half joking. :(

Regards,

15. -=Rudy=-

-=Rudy=- ♪♫♪♫♫♪♪♫♪♪ Staff

I have a DVL-700 (not sure which generation it is) that locks up on even standard DVD titles. So does my Toshiba...but that one is a first-generation unit.

Did you ever get a firmware upgrade for yours? I have been wanting to check on it for mine, and had heard it was free...but since it is now quite a few years old, it will probably cost me a bundle.

16. LarryDavenport

Pioneer is supposed to have a Universal player for around $300 this summer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.