Not the sophomore slump, but third album woes...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by zen, Feb 23, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Well then you haven't actually listened to those albums then :)

2. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Definitely :tsk:

And one of these as well :buttkick:

Galeans and Spiritual Architect like this.
  3. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Some, including Ian Anderson himself, would say Jethro Tull's "Benefit". I don't, though, I love that album and it's one of my very favorites, even though it's a bit different than what came before and after, even though in a compatible style.

4. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

Prozzäk third album, "Cruel Cruel World," had some okay songs, none as strong as their first two albums (Hot Show and Saturday People). The album also had a much more downbeat mood than the first two albums, and they also moved away from the more pop oriented music too.

5. Big Rush fan who (unusually) doesn't like most of their early material. Maybe a quarter of Caress and 2112 are reasonably good, and then they better from that point on. Peak was Power Windows.

Huntigula likes this.
    ConnieGuitar likes this.
  7. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

Power Windows is where they started losing me big time. By Hold Your Fire I was done.

Crungy and SilkHammer like this.
  8. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Based on the liner notes included in the Steve Wilson remix, you might think this album is total rubbish. I love Benefit.

jdrueke likes this.
  9. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

Amorica and 3 Snakes are amazing, and anything BUT unfocused, imho.

10. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

IIRC, the second one didn't sell anywhere near as well as the first one. Huge dip in sales.

11. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

Ozzy's "Bark at the Moon". His first two solo records are metal classics, this one just plain sucks.

mj_patrick likes this.
  12. dino77

dino77 Forum Resident

There is no Kurt "ghost writing" on Live Through This.

13. Curiously, I think it would have been better received had David Byrne not been a producer on it. His stamp is all over the album.

14. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

15. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

16. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

It's my least favorite from that era though I still like some of the material. It's a strange record, oddly sequenced and some of the production effects are over-baked (the backward flute stuff just doesn't work). I think the Steven Wilson remix helped a little with the overall sound. To Cry You A Song is my favorite track.

17. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I prefer Fun House (my favorite album of all time) but can't fault Raw Power. How can you fault an album with Search and Destroy?

18. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

I can't agree with that. Centre of Eternity, Rock And Roll Rebel, Now You See It Now You Don't and the title track are all great. There are a few duds, but I like the album and I like Jake E. Lee.

19. The Fan Dance

The Fan Dance New Member

Yay, a fellow fan! However, even though this is old, I felt compelled to be pedantic and point that The Turning is actually her 4th album. The first 3 are Beyond Saturday Night, Dancing With Danger, and Black And White In A Grey World.

However I do agree that The Turning WAS her best...at least as Leslie. It's actually one of my favorite albums ever. Cheers!

20. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

Captain Beyond's 3rd album ... yeesh!

Holy Diver likes this.
  21. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

A lot of people dissed Toto's 3rd album Turn Back and though it was considered a failure I think it rocked Harder than any other Toto album that one and Hydra were both better than thier debut.

Chew likes this.
  22. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Yeah, COS didn't do too well, but I like it. It's got some good stuff on it.

23. Chew

Chew Casual Stalker

I am a huge King Crimson fan, but "Lizard" is very rarely played on my stereo.

24. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I'm surprised by this, Sheer Heart Attack is one of Queen's most loved and highly regarded albums. It's my favourite Queen album.

25. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Meh...It's a bit simplistic in areas, compared to Queen II (which is my favourite album). Less prog and more hard-rock. While there are plenty of great tracks, there are none that I would list among my favourites.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.