Noticeably Different Mono/Stereo Mixes

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Frank Irons, Oct 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Frank Irons

Frank Irons Forum Resident Thread Starter

I'm trying to show to a friend how different mono mixes could be from stereo mixes. Just add some examples where there's a clear and noticeable difference between the mono and stereo mixes. The differences can be things like alternate vocals or extra instruments, or just simple things like differences in power and clarity. Thanks!

2. Zapruder

Zapruder Just zis guy, you know?

The Beatles. There ya go.

3. mahanusafa02

mahanusafa02 Forum Resident

Hate to do it (not really), but “Paperback Writer” and “Help!” cover all those requirements.

EDIT: @Zapruder beat me to it :righton:

4. Tim Lookingbill

Tim Lookingbill Alfalfa Male

5. Psychedelic Sounds

Psychedelic Sounds Forum Resident

Pink Floyd - The Piper At The Gates Of Dawn

2007 Mono/Stereo remaster CD

There are pronounced differences between the Mono and Stereo.
    In the Mono:
    The organ is more pronounced and the sound effects are clearer.
    The album sounds more psychedelic.

Astronomy Domine - The talking is louder and phasing
    Power R Toc H - You can hear the crazy voices
    Interstellar Overdrive - The organ is more pronounced

Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    notesofachord likes this.
  6. notesofachord

notesofachord Riding down the river in an old canoe

Jefferson Airplane - Surrealistic Pillow

Wall of reverb on the stereo.
    Dry and powerful on the mono.

7. team2

team2 Forum Resident

From that 2007 remaster, I've always preferred the straightforward rock of "Lucifer Sam" in mono, yet the trippy outer space vibe of "Interstellar Overdrive" in stereo.

Psychedelic Sounds likes this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member

Sly and the Family Stone - GH

Use AF SACD for mono

audiomixer likes this.
  9. Driver8

Driver8 Forum Resident

I was never a fan of the album, until I heard the mono version - Zoinks!

10. ndoheny

ndoheny Forum Resident

One of my favorites in showing the difference in a stereo and mono track is Don't Pass Me By on the White Album. While always a skip track for me in stereo, in mono it is a totally different beast and one of my favorite mixes.

11. Evan

Evan Senior Member

Reverb to distortion. Probably makes it near 'bout impossible to master as anything but flat off the mastertape.

12. RedRoseSpeedway

RedRoseSpeedway Music Lover

It’s fun when the mixes are different. Just recently got Piper on CD in mono and the difference is stark! Like the vocals on Flaming

13. LouieG

LouieG Forum Resident

Early Bee Gees had several different mixes for mono and stereo versions.
    "Words", "I've Gotta Get A Message To You" (5 different mixes), "Idea" (different lead vocal). The mono "New York Mining Disaster 1941" single was a completely different recording than the stereo version on the LP.

notesofachord likes this.
  14. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

Quite a few Beatles songs....

“Help!” - different vocal take, recorded at CTS studio, plus no tambourine (NOTE: I may have that one backwards)

“Matchbox” - alternate lead guitar (well, it’s on the stereo mix as well, but it’s buried deep in one of the channels. You have to be hard panned with quality headphones to hear it)

“Tomorrow Never Knows” - tape loops mixed in at different places, ADT on backwards guitar lead

“I’m Only Sleeping” - both mono mixes have the backwards guitar faded in at different places; I would love a remix with all the backwards guitar parts in.

“What Goes On” - Guitar part missing at the end

“Money (That’s What I Want)” - no guitar and snare at intro, no piano slide at beginning of first instrumental break, and you can hear Ringo clicking his sticks in the intro.

“Please Please Me” - alternate take with John’s vocal flub and giggle (as well as George playing the main harmonica riff differently following the “why do you make me Blue” line, same as he would do live) used for stereo mix

“Thank You Girl” - extra harmonica bits

“From Me To You” - stereo mix is an under dub without harmonica in intro

“Helier Skelter” - missing the coda with Ringo’s “I got blisters on my fingers!”

“Don’t Pass Me By” - sped up, making Ringo sound like Mickey Mouse

“Your Mother Should Know” - the entire mix is doused in tape flange

Most of the differences between the mono and stereo Pepper have been negated by the new remix....

Other tracks have minor differences, such as double-tracking (or lack thereof), longer/shorter fade times, different effects, etc.

15. Baldo

Baldo Forum Resident

The mix really isn’t that different from any of the stereo mixes, but I think a good cut of the mono “I Want To Hold Your Hand” would be a revelation.

16. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

I never thought much of the Temptations' "The Way You Do The Things You Do" till finally hearing the MONO hit mix:

I had only ever heard the STEREO mix which is pretty anemic. The silly lyrics stand out with the wide stereo separation and poor blend (bass guitar too quiet, brass too loud) and the vocals sound sloppy. It's like listening to a completely different song.

Here's the crappy stereo mix:

The TEMPTATIONS - The Way You Do The Things You Do / Ain't Too Proud To Beg - stereo

17. bellyshere

bellyshere Forum Resident

Jefferson Airplane mono is vastly different and i prefer the mono of that. The Beatles obviously and i like hearing the different versions. Sgt Pepper's sounds so vibrant in mono to my ears. The guitars sound wonderful on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.