Noticed something interesting tonight, analog affect?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by GuildX700, Feb 20, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bananas&blow

Bananas&blow It's just that demon life has got me in its sway

Here's another vote for the booze kicking in.

Pass on the discussion of whether it was analogue or digital. I feel rather confident that it had nothing to do with it. I grew up on cassettes. And when Cd's came out they blew them away in sound quality in so many ways. We were mostly all thrilled. To me what you are asking is "does a lower quality sound create more engagement?". I vote no.

TSWisla likes this.
  2. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Right, a rest means comfort. I enjoy music more when I'm comfortable.

timind likes this.
  3. Chris Schoen

I specifically have some favorite albums recorded to tape, and unless the cd mastering of that album is outstanding, the "quality" of the taped album surpasses the cd. I vote yes.

GuildX700 likes this.
  4. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I can promise you I have run this experiment with plenty of booze with various media.

Another thing is you can start off with digital and move to analog. Doing it in reverse never works out well.

5. Chris Schoen

I still have a few buddys that bring records over, and borrow some of mine. We spin records and chat. Not a completely lost activity.
    You just have to know other people who consider listening to music a priority, and take time to do it.

Drifter and GuildX700 like this.
  6. Chris Schoen

I play whatever sounds good. Frankly, I don't like messing with records if there is too much social activity, so some Mofi, DCC or AF gold discs do the trick as the night wears on.

Tim 2, Dennis0675 and GuildX700 like this.
  7. timind

timind phorum rezident

Gotta ask the question, why is Knights In White Satin on an album with hits from 1972?

Doug_B, Tim 2 and Dennis0675 like this.
  8. projectcookie

projectcookie Forum Resident

The sound of analogue is hearing music through the haze of nostalgia -- not unlike watching real film, there's a tactile quality to the experience. While it might not be objectively higher fidelity, there's an undeniable magic it holds to many including myself. And this is coming from someone who came of age during mp3's and napster :p

I know many people my age group who are finding themselves captivated by vinyl -- it's great for the industry!

Tim 2 likes this.
  9. toddrhodes

toddrhodes Forum Resident

You might be surprised my friend. Twice this weekend:

"Hey, when are we going to have another jam session and listen to some <insert metal band> on vinyl again?"

Just last night, "Hey, still have time for me to come over and hear some records?"

Me: "Yup!"

We listened to a couple of things he's never heard before. A Love Supreme and Telegraph Road both blew his mind. He wouldn't stop grinning, it was great fun.

I'm trying to do my part and even having a couple of friends interested enough to take time out of their busy schedules to come listen to some records is the absolute best outcome I could have hoped for when building this room/system.

timind, Tim 2 and Dennis0675 like this.
  10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Agreed, organization and care doesn't improve in that environment. I dig playing the digital I just find that more frequently people talk through it, want to hit the skip button or try to pick the next thing to play.

Admittedly, guests have more opportunity to do that with digital. If a drunk chick were to wobble towards my table and skip a track, it would be a party foul. It's also not super to read the spines of an album collection and pick something out.

Tim 2 likes this.
  11. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Have you heard digital done right ?
    Oppo will not get you there.

Shiver, MaxxMaxx4, timind and 2 others like this.
  12. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑

Confirmation bias, possibly.

Try it again the next time you have a similar event. Except this time start with the cassettes, then move onto the CD's later.

Fishoutofwater, krisbee and Tim 2 like this.
  13. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident Thread Starter

IIRC it recharted back up on top somehow, until I got the album I thought it was a 1972 release song.

Just looked it up, it actually charted 3 different times, 1968, 1972, 1979.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2017
    timind likes this.
  14. Chris Schoen

No "haze of nostalgia" here. There are just quite a few records that I have that sound better than other sources (cd, hi-res files). And even after recording these records to tape,
    they still sound better than the cd or hi-res file. Either you have good records, or you don't. Doubters are jealous, that's what I'm hearing on these type of threads.

GuildX700 likes this.
  15. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

For me when I let "regula folk" listen to the jams, they are pleasantly surprised by the sound quality but shocked that an album sounds that good, especially because for most it's been 20 years or more since they heard an album and assumed cd was the "perfect sound".

16. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

I don't own any hi end digital gear (don't own any hi end gear at all anymore), but my friend has a digital setup based around the Esoteric K-05X, with same level speakers, cables, all that jazz. I don't know if you'd consider that digital done right, but I have heard that system often and it sounds great, but again, for me, it is missing that something.

17. Digital-G

Digital-G Senior Member

How can you tell that they were drawn to the music because it was analog and not just the music (song selection) itself? If you played the Billboard 'album' you showed earlier, it has songs on it that you don't hear very often (unless you seek them out).

18. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

good point, it could have been the content that was more compelling in that moment.

19. Catcher10

Catcher10 I like records, and Prog...duh

I don't think anytime soon any of us will hear digital "done right". I bought my first CD player in 1984ish, it was a Sony CDP-302, pretty much TOTL, cost me $550 I think.....I'm still waiting. Sure it blew me away for about the first 5yrs, after that it was slowly going away.

I think digital still has a ways to go, there are too many that feel there is something missing, call it what you like but clearly its missing....That is where the engaging component comes into play. Considering that digital is a bunch of 1s and 0s, something tells me it will never be like a flowing river of musical notes.

I don't think Oppo nor a $108K Vivaldi digital playback system will do that for you....not today.

I have always felt/said, what digital technology has done has been more in the studio with recording than the end product we hear. By definition and specifications, digital SHOULD be king and all we listen to on CD, HDD or streaming. This needle dragging thru a groove technology, should have died eons ago.....

Shiver likes this.
  20. LitHum05

LitHum05 El Disco es Cultura

With analogue sources, the music breathes. It is in the room with you and takes up space. The same with celluloid film vs digital.:nauga:

21. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident Thread Starter

The CD's were of the same Billboard series.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  22. Archimago

Archimago Forum Resident

Guild, did you announce to the folks that you were popping in an old cassette tape? "Hey guys... I'm missing the 1972 CD, so let's check out an old tape I have of it..."

Could they see the switch and notice the tape reels going?

Since it has been at least a couple years since I played any cassettes, I certainly would be curious enough take notice and pay a bit more attention.

23. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

Vocals settle in their place in the mix on vinyl that I havent even heard come that close really when playing digital. And Im talking very decent converters as well. Why? FIIK.

GuildX700 likes this.
  24. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Nights In White Satin was reissued in 1972 in America and reached #2, whereas it didn't even crack the top 100 in 1967.

GuildX700 likes this.
  25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Come over to my place, I'll change your mind just like all the others.

Dr Tone and timind like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.