Now I know how good Klipsch speakers are....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Blue Nile Fan, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue Nile Fan

Blue Nile Fan Forum Resident Thread Starter

Over the holidays I jumped (too soon) at an opportunity to own a pair of Paradigm Studio Monitor tower speakers from the late 1980's. These are really good speakers and I knew the owner - he is my cousin. He had these for many years and I had always wanted them. However, when I first wanted them, it was nine years ago when I was just building my system. Flash forward to now, I have some very good components and a pair of Klipsch Forte I's that REALLY sounded nice. So, I sold my Forte's to a good home and then brought home the Paradigms. I am finding that there just is no comparison between the two speakers. The Forte's are much more efficient and really brought the sound of every CD, record, and SACD that I own. Smooth and clear to the point you could hear everything going on everywhere. The Paradigms just don't cut it. Good speakers, but not Klipsch. I know they are a different design, but Mr. Klipsch knew what he was doing when he designed them. I believe I will keep the Paradigms for a while and give them a workout, but will look for another pair of Forte I's, perhaps with the Crites upgrade. Due to timing, I was not able to go to my cousin's house and give the Paradigm's a workout and trial before I bought them. I had heard them before and loved the sound, but that was before I put my gear together. Hindsight is always 20/20.

2. Kyhl

Kyhl On break

Sorry to hear that. Welcome to the equipment-go-round. :D

Sounds like you might miss the dynamics. I miss the dynamics of Klipsch. I think my next speaker will be higher effeciency. 93db or less need not apply. The problem is, that comes at a cost.

3. Variable

Variable Forum Resident

I have had a pair or KG3.2s for over twenty years. Many other speakers have come and gone, but that pair always seems to find a way to hang around.

betweentheears likes this.
  4. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

My brother has a pair of Klipsch Heresys that he's had since the late 70s and I have always loved those speakers.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  5. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

Two things: I miss my Harley and my Chorus IIs.

McLover and Licorice pizza like this.
  6. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

IMO, you haven't heard their full potential until you've matched Klipsch up with some fine tube amplification.

7. Blue Nile Fan

My cousin was given these speakers by a good friend from college. I was there the day this went down and my jaw dropped wishing I had a friend who would give me merch like that! The real pisser of the deal was, without telling my cousin anything, his friend disconnected one of the drivers because it did not work properly, and for all the years my cousin used them, it was operating as a passive radiator. I found it when I did a speaker check and at his house it appeared to be fine. At home, it was not fine - a whole lot of buzzing. So here I was, having sold my beloved Klipsch Forte's only to bring home damaged goods. Luckily I was able to find a local speaker repairman who fixed it. I thought it was blown, but here the glue had deteriorated over time, causing it to act like it did. I keep thinking to myself, I bet a Klipsch speaker new or old would not do that. The Paradigms I have are well respected and as they say, they don't make them like they used to, but note for note, the Klipsch speakers are better sounding, and they do not take as much power to make them sing. I have made my bed, so now I have to make them work. I guess my upside is, it took me quite some time to fine tune those Klipsch to get them just right. Speaker placement, cables, components, adding a DAC, etc. I will be o.k. - it will just take some time to get used to these is all. Thanks for all the feedback. I have to realize this is not the end of the world, it's audio and down the road, if I really want them, I will find another pair of Forte's, and I could sell the Paradigms for more than I paid for them.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

I am listening to Klipsch Chorus right now. Everything said is true and then some. Upgrade to Crites Titanium tweeter elements and do the crossovers if not done recently. None more dynamic or lively.

9. jlc76

jlc76 Forum Resident

I bought a pair of Chorus II's this year and upgraded the x-overs and tweeters with components from Crites. I have enjoyed them immensely, my only complaint is the lack of low-end from a 15" woofer, but the low-end it does have is very tight and controlled and not muddy at all. I'd love to own a pair of Klipschorns or La Scalas but my current house is too small for those, the Chorus II's were the largest that I could fit into the living room and while I'd like them placed a bit different it is a huge improvement over my old JBL L36. I previously owned a pair of Heresy II's when I had a spare bedroom as my listening room and I always wanted to get back to the Klipsch "sound". My next upgrade will be a tube amp to drive these, I think that will really make them sing.

McLover likes this.
  10. Bought a pair of Klipsch Heresy II Signature Edition (with slanted built-in base) speakers in 1988/89 or somewhere around that time frame and had them for almost 10 years. Those puppies would play anything and I was sad to give them up due to some hard times. I've moved on since and wanted to try different brands, which I did, and have now settled on some Genesis G7.1f speakers. They are very nice and I really like them, but the Heresy's were more fun as they weren't as fussy and just played the music honestly. I miss them if truth be told.

11. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident

Still have a pair of Klipsch Legend 20s. .. I think when I get a larger free standing home I will use them again in a audio only system with a decent amp. I never was able to get them to sound good with my old sunfire amp .. Maybe I needed a better pre as if was using yamaha receiver as a pre at the time. Maybe a tubed preamp or something like an old Luxman tubed pre might work with my sunfire ? I love my parasound def tech system but that is a different sounding system. So hopefully I can these things sounding good again !

motorcitydave likes this.
  12. russk

russk Forum Resident

Always been a fan. They're effortlessly dynamic and detailed. Hereseys, which I own, are my least favorite. A nice pair of Corwalls with some ALK crossovers and a Fastlane Audio wood mid horn are seriously hard to beat. One of my dream speaker sets in fact.

macdaddysinfo and MLutthans like this.
  13. Blue Nile Fan

I went home last night and popped the rebuilt driver back into main speaker. BIG/HUGE difference and improvement. Now I can see why these Paradigms are so highly regarded. However, still not the fidelity and dynamics of the Forte's. I will say this, it DOES matter what source you use with Klipsch. I have my Onkyo Integra TX88 receiver that sounds great with the Klipsch. But, I tried my Father-in-law's old Nakamichi TA-3A receiver, which is supposed to be a good one, and it was very harsh, not what I would have expected. The Onkyo is very warm and analog sounding. I think most agree, you can't just pair Klipsch with anything - you have to try them out and see (yes, I know tubes rule). I think I just got lucky. With the Paradigms, I am imagining they are more forgiving. I read a review of my Paradigms and it said if you have them near a corner, against a wall too close, or in a small room, you will hate them. Well, I have two of the three.... I was getting some good sound out of them last night, and played some vinyl and it was great. The only complaint on the Klipsch I had was at times with some CD's and LP's, and even a couple SACD's, I got a "thin" sound. Not sure if that was due to the amp or what. I don't seem to be getting that now with the Paradigms. Anyway, I am off for a few days for New Years, so I do believe it will be fun listening and tweaking things. I believe my plan going forward is to keep my Integra receiver and find a pair of Forte's. My family is planning a move in the next year, so at the new house, I can set up my "old" system again in another room, pairing it with a TT and a nice CD player. Thanks everyone for your feedback - it's been fun!

14. slovell

slovell Retired Mudshark

KLF-20's with titanium mids and tweets and Crites crossovers. Killer!!!

McLover likes this.
  15. rodney sherman

rodney sherman Forum Resident

I just have Rf-82 II and I think they are killer.

strymeow and The Pinhead like this.
  16. rebellovw

rebellovw Forum Resident

I absolutely love my Cornwalls - they may add some color - but for the music I listen to - they really do the trick.

Beatletapehead and The Pinhead like this.
  17. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

My Cornwalls are the best sounding speakers that I've owned. Crites tweeters,crossovers and a reveneer got them to look and sound brand new. 33 years old and still rockin' the joint.

18. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Klipsch were meant for tubes.I have some Heresey IIs that just turned thirty years old this month.The only upgrade I would consider would be move up Cornwalls or La Scalas.

I would sooner drink a nice tall glass of Drano,than willingly listen to solid state gear...of any kind.

19. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

I can't tell you how many people I've heard refer to Klipsch as unlistenable ear-bleeders or whatever and when I ask what was pushing them they say a circa 1989 Sony 35 watt receiver or something.

McLover, head_unit and jmrife like this.
  20. JerolW

JerolW Senior Member

I bought my Cornwalls in 1976 and have listened to them almost every day.

jerol

21. Wngnt90

Wngnt90 Forum Resident

Funny...my Cornwalls sound incredible driven by a circa 1979 Pioneer solid state amp. Certainly not ear bleeders by any stretch. In fact they sound awesome driven by any of the 5 vintage solid state amps that I own (HK...Pioneer...Marantz)

Last edited: Jan 3, 2015
  22. jmrife

jmrife Wife. Kids. Grandkids. Dog. Music.

I am currently running the RF7s. Better fit than the Chorus IIs. Good, really good, but not as nice as the Chorus IIs

23. KG 3.2's in the house for over 20 yrs

24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

kg 5.5's since 1996, love em.

25. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

Have had a pair of Heresys for almost 30 years. I still have not tried them with a tube amp. Need to do that some day...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.