Now I know how good Klipsch speakers are....

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Blue Nile Fan, Dec 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

No, because the lower bass is done by my Entec Subwoofer, whether I am using the Rogers Studio 1s or Heresys. My Rogers Studio 1As also have better mid-upper bass than the Heresys.

And besides the Heresys have absolutely NO lower bass.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2015
  2. SKATTERBRANE

And yes, I have to turn up the volume of the subwoofer when I am using the Heresys, by quite a bit, almost maximum in fact. With the Rogers the volume of the subwoofer is around 60% of max, with the Heresys I am at 90% of max.

3. SKATTERBRANE

I am thinking is the Heresys woofer is less efficient and is actually not playing as loud as the mid and tweeter are. If I could attenuate the signal going to the mid and tweeter by about 3 dB, then when I turn up the preamp by 3 dB, I would get that bass I am missing that the Rogers have.

4. SKATTERBRANE

The Rogers are not bad without a subwoofer, the Heresys are no fun at all without a subwoofer. Oh, I forgot I also used to own Cornwalls, and the Rogers have more bass than the Cornwalls too.

5. Tore Pedersen

Tore Pedersen Member

That's weird. I'm thinking that you either have a midbass suckout in your room, or your Roger's have a built-in midbass bump, which is not unusual for small monitors. My money is on the latter.

6. SKATTERBRANE

Well since I get the same effect in more than one room maybe you are right. Rogers are 26" by 12" by 12". Heresys are 21" by 15" by 13". Very similar in size. The Rogers have a 10" ported woofer.

7. Tore Pedersen

Tore Pedersen Member

Ah, right, I thought the Roger's were smaller. My bad. But still, it's not unusual that speakers have a built in midbass bump, to give the impression of a "fatter" sound.
    I've never heard your Rogers though, so I'll bow out of this discussion. I simply don't know what might be going on. :)

8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

They are massive speakers!

9. SKATTERBRANE

It is interesting, I have a Crown SL2 preamp. I have the tone controls disengaged. However, if I use the loudness feature (which only affects the bass curve) the Klipsch sound a bit better.

10. coopmv

I have not heard of that model Crown SL2 preamp in ages. Nice! :righton:

11. SKATTERBRANE

I had them too. But when I had them I set them up as Klipsch instructed, to place them against the corner of the room. No soundstage with that setup!! I did not even know about "soundstage" and "imaging" until I went to the next level in hi-fi. That is when I learned to get that center channel and holographic effect, the speakers basically have to face straight forward (or a slight toe-in) and be as far away from the back and side walls as possible.

I once set them up in a very long room I had, about 1/3 of the way in from the back wall, and the soundstage was a mile deep. Especially when I played Bowie's 12" pressing of Putting Out The Fire (Cat People).

12. SKATTERBRANE

I had a Spectral DMC 6 II up until a few weeks ago. I had a Crown SL 2 way back in the 80s just before I got this Spectral. The Spectral has an incredible phono section. But I gave up records around the year 2000. I replaced the Spectal with this Crown is easily a match for the Spectral when it comes to the line section. Sometimes I get nostalgic for equipment I owned before.

13. coopmv

It is amazing these beasts don't require much power to drive. My house does not have a room that is large enough for these speakers without some serious make over ...

14. SKATTERBRANE

I remember having block parties and opening the windows and blowing the neighborhood away.

15. coopmv

My Crown DC-300 amp (IIRC the model mumber) is in its box. It developed a loud hum the last time I connected it to my speakers. The transformer must have gone bad. It is not clear if it is even worth fixing.

16. SKATTERBRANE

The best speakers I have ever heard are Martin Logan Electrostats back in the early 90s, and more recently the McIntosh top of the line system with these towers and subs.

17. coopmv

Does Mac actually make good speakers?

18. SKATTERBRANE

Let me see if I can find a link to the system I am talking about.

19. SKATTERBRANE

20. coopmv

These may be 600 watts/ch monobloc. I will never need this kind of power even if I am willing to spend the money ...

21. SKATTERBRANE

Well that power is not only for decibels. Someone once told me that it takes about 1000 watts to precisely reproduce the sound of a scissors cutting paper.

22. coopmv

Good resolution at low-volume listening is what separates a good amp from a mediocre amp. Most mass market amps, particularly those made in you-know-where, the sound invariably sounds muddy at low listening volume. Those amps are no doubt no match for the likes of Mac, Pass and a few others. You get what you paid ...

23. SKATTERBRANE

My first stereo had a Sherwood S-7900A 60 wpc receiver. It sounded damned good. After 5 years or so, it broke and I bought some Pioneer 100 wpc receiver to replace it. It had very limited current, it sounded just like the "you know where" amps you speak of....crap.

24. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

My modest F2s have loads of lower bass. Sometimes with good recordings I have to turn the sub off and it still would seem it's on !! Man I LOVE these speakers !! Thanx PWK !!

25. Tore Pedersen

Tore Pedersen Member

Paul W Klipsch had nothing to do with your speakers. I'm sure they're nice though. :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.