Now using the Tascam DR-05 handheld recorder for needledrops

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Robin L, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

Yup.

2. macster

macster Forum Resident

Thanks those puppies are on the way. Your information has also helped me with another problem that I was having. I tip my hat to you sir.

M~

3. TerryB

TerryB Forum Resident

Glad I can offer a little something to the world.:)

4. macster

macster Forum Resident

To the Gorts

Would you be so kind as to merge this thread with the one here, so that all of the information can be in one place?

M~

5. macster

macster Forum Resident

Well that was a very good earning experience. I will be moving on to this one as it is more in line as to what I need. This is the one that I should have bought at first, dang.
    [​IMG]

The DR-05 will be used as a learning tool to gain experience. The price was right and I will keep it as a back up and probably use it as a portable player and incorporate it into helping me train my dog.

M~

Robin L likes this.
  6. xiaNaix

xiaNaix Forum Resident

What does the DR-40 offer over the DR-05 for needledrops?

7. macster

macster Forum Resident

Here you go.

M~

8. xiaNaix

xiaNaix Forum Resident

Did you upgrade? What is your opinion of the DR-40? I just ordered one. :laugh:

9. macster

macster Forum Resident

I haven't upgraded yet? Since I had the DR-05, I'm just going to use it for a while to gain experience rather than just chuck it.

Also take a look at this, which I did used to attenuate the signal level to the DR. This thing works like a dream.
    [​IMG]

M~

10. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

Forgive me if I'm missing something - but these units almost all have either a usb 2.0 port or some kind of removable memory card, either of which give you an easy digital transfer to computer - why futz around with an old cheap soundcard in the chain?

11. macster

macster Forum Resident

Yup! It solves a multitude of problems. I love mine.

M~

12. Pease forgive my ignorance and lack of knowledge on this - I'd be really grateful if you could fully describe what your setup is and how you are using it, as this looks as though it might be a good solution to my needs.

Best Wishes,
    David

13. macster

macster Forum Resident

It's a passive volume attenuator. The input level control on some digital recorders will overload very easily when recording from typical audio devices with fixed outputs. I use this to attenuate the volume to an acceptable level for the digital recorder.

M~

14. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

I have the DR-07 and even with the input volume set at zero, I still get overload. I use the output from my marantz receiver to an ART USB and attenuate the signal to the analog outputs and then input that into the Tascam DR-07.

15. macster

macster Forum Resident

Yup! The Nano solves that problem and the beauty of it is that it is a passive device.

M~

stereoptic likes this.

16. So - (sorry if this is extremely stupid) - you go line out from your amplifier to the 'Nano' and then out from the 'Nano' to the recorder.

Does the 'Nano' have double input/output jacks or a single one like the DR-05?

Many thanks for taking the time to reply.

Best Wishes,
    David

17. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I'm doing something similar by running the signal through my integrated amp to the preamp outs and adjusting the level with the volume control. Works well enough for my purposes. That Nano device seems a little pricey. How much more would you have to spend to get an ADC/recorder that can handle an actual line level signal without employing additional equipment?

stereoptic likes this.
  18. macster

macster Forum Resident

FYI link

[​IMG]

M~

19. macster

macster Forum Resident

1. There are a lot of reasons for using this device. I used it to set up a cost effective (E.g. on the cheap) digital recording system for one of my clients.

2. AFAS "That Nano device seems a little pricey." It works and in the field that I'm in the cost was miniscule. IOW, it's worth the money, solidly constructed and because of it's construction and weight you easily could defend yourself with it.

3. "How much more would you have to spend to get an ADC/recorder that can handle an actual line level signal without employing additional equipment?" Dunno, I started looking at this for home use and I wanted to purchase something that I could use to gain experience.

M~

stereoptic likes this.
  20. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Not my intent to question your choice, macster. Just pointing out that for those looking to get started, that adding a Nano nearly doubles the cost of the DR-05 (I think I got mine for $75 and the Nano is $60). Granted the Nano may have additional uses and it may sound better than the alternative approaches stereoptic and I have used. It certainly looks like a nice piece of equipment for the price (better built than the DR-05 judging by the pic :))

stereoptic likes this.
  21. Many thanks!

Best Wishes,
    David

22. macster

macster Forum Resident

It wasn't about you "questioning me" it was simply me relaying my experience. The Nano is a premo device and works like a charm, since it is passive and the form factor is small, it is also portable which increases it's usefulness to me. ASFAS the DR-05, someone had them on sale for $50.00, of course I found that after I paid over a $100.00 for mine. Anyway, by the time I realize all of this and more, technology had passed me by, as a result I was stuck with what I had. It was either dump it or figure out how to make the best use of it, I choose to make it work as well as possible for the least cost.

M~

23. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore Thread Starter

Update—got another receiver, one with a hotter tape output. Bought a pair of -12 attenuators, seems like I can squeek through levels that previously would overload. More cost effective than the variable passive attenuator, simpler too.

24. macster

macster Forum Resident

Great and Good luck, I bought the same and they didn't drop it low enough for me. As a matter of fact I have two sets. It's good to have solutions, and... I don't understand your remark about "simpler too." If you haven't tried one, you can't possibly know if it's simpler or not. I have them both and I "know" which one is simpler. For sake of brevity and understanding, it depends on the "problem." In my case I was still trying to maintain an acceptable level of quality on the line input of my DR and the output of the source device was still too high with the attenuators, hence the Nano, it works like a charm all you have to do is turn the knob to a point at which the signal from the source doesn't overload the input on your DR. That seems simple to me.

M~

25. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

Is there a reason for the nominal input level being -20 dBv instead of -10 on 05 model? Seems like a lot of interface headaches could have been avoided if Tascam had stuck with -10. -10 and +4 have only been industry line-level standards for, you know....decades. (That said, Mackie has used "0" in a lot of its gear, which I also find irritating.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.