Now using the Tascam DR-05 handheld recorder for needledrops

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Robin L, Mar 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

I just wrote them for a price list. Poor website design with no list prices shown.

2. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore Thread Starter

I meant "simpler" in that there are no moving parts. Potentiometers can get hinkey.

3. macster

macster Forum Resident

Here and here. FYI, I like BHP, good and very helpful folks.

M~

4. Jim T

Jim T Forum Resident

B&H Photo....$59 and free shipping.

5. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

B&H is, as Macster pointed out, a pretty good outfit.

6. Master_It_Right

Master_It_Right Forum Resident

I'm getting tons of line noise because the mb in my computer must not be very high quality. Would one of these Tascams sound noticeably better? I'm primarily using it to needledrop, all I care about is recording it to 16/48 FLAC files.

7. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

I don't notice any noise, but the DR-05 doesn't record to FLAC format. Maybe one of the higher end models does. Of course, it's easy enough to convert WAV to FLAC.

8. Brian Ramone

Brian Ramone Well-Known Member

I'm considering this as an alternative to the Art USB Phono Plus for needle dropping alone.

Do the higher end models like the 40 sound better?
    Here in Canada the 40 is twice the price of the 05.

9. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

That $79 dollar ART looks crappy to me, and I've never been a fan of their products, I'd definitely go Tascam.

Just remember I haven't actually used either of them, heh, just an educated guess.

10. Robin L

The DR 40 is easier to adjust levels, has a wider range of adjustment than the DR-05. Have both. Even though the SQ is about the same, the DR-40 is the better option.

Brian Ramone likes this.
  11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Note the ART has a phono preamp, while the Tascam doesn't.

12. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

This makes me dislike it even more - 79$ for a DAC with a built in Phono preamp, AND made by ART?

btw, I looked at the rear of the unit and did not see a ground wire - are you sure this thing has phono pre and riaa curve?

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

GROUND:

[​IMG]

I have no idea what the quality is on that particular unit, but I'm not sure what the problem with it being $79 is.

14. Robin L

Because it's very hard to make anything sound half-way decent at that price.

15. Brian Ramone

Thanks Robin.
    Here in Canada the 05 is just over $100.00 while the 40 is about $229.00.
    I intend to use the tape outs from my McIntosh Preamp so I'm hoping the extras with the 40 won't be needed.

16. Brian Ramone

Cheers, lukpac but I know. :)

lukpac likes this.
  17. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

According to who?

18. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

That was my point about the $79 - this is very similar to buying a new fiat for like $3,000 - what performance can you reasonably expect from that? (I ballparked a figure of around $400 for decent cheap preamp and dac, then compared that to new nissan sentra, cheapest car available new in US - yeah I know, a bit sloppy, but I think its pretty fair)

Boy that ground knob is pretty big, LOL, not sure how I missed it - guess I'm used to seeing ground right next to the rca inputs on a reciever or amp.

Anyway, that's all I wanted to say: I have poor experience with ART, and uniformly good experience with Tascam, and I just don't think a $79 unit is gonna please most listeners.

19. Robin L

I managed to get my DR-40 for $120 via Amazon. You might want to wait for an online sale of some sort. You will want the DR-40, adjusting from the tape outputs of your preamp will be easier.

Brian Ramone likes this.
  20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Why would a preamp and DAC cost $400? Because people put parts into fancy boxes and charge a huge markup?

I built a Hagerman Bugle preamp years ago for perhaps $25 in parts. That cost would certainly be lower when the parts are purchased in bulk.

As for ART, I believe the DI/O was well regarded, and I think that sold for about $100. I don't use mine much these days, but I never had a problem with it.

GetHappy!! and Brian Ramone like this.
  21. Brian Ramone

Yes, musical equipment stores have always been a great source of good equipment not marked up for High End audio snobs.
    I once found my AKG240's I bought for $100.00 in a High End shop for $350.00 :)

Anyways, I'm not interested in a $400.00 device ($600.00 CA) since I'm probably going to digitize a total of ten LPs.

22. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Can you adjust levels on the tape outs? (Been so long since I've used tape outs I can't recall :laugh:) If they just send a line level signal you could run into trouble with the DR-05. Use pre-outs instead if your amp has them.

Listening to a needledrop of Odds & Sods made with my DR-05 as I type this and enjoying it immensely :)

Brian Ramone likes this.
  23. Brian Ramone

Thanks Robin.
    I guess I should try one from a shop that accepts returns since I only have three weeks to return the ART.
    IF the 40 goes on sale it will be on boxing day...even then I doubt this will get reduced.

24. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

That's one thing to check into. I know on the DR-08 the input adjustment is digital, after the ADC, which makes it pretty useless. That is, the input adjustment, not the recorder. If the DR-05 works in a similar way, you would probably want some way to adjust the level, like a small mixer (if your preamp doesn't offer a variable output level).

25. Brian Ramone

Yes, the tape outs are fixed but as you said the Aux isn't :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.