NRBQ Album-By-Album Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ceddy10165, Mar 7, 2011.

1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Great photos.

I have an earlier pressing of NRBQ with the old-style Columbia Records label. It was the one NRBQ album I couldn't find anywhere in the '80s and then a good friend of mine found a mint copy and gifted me. I'm so glad I've got the NRBQ LP proper as it's never been represented on CD except for STAY WITH WE, which is a different animal altogether.

BTW, re: SCRAPS COMPANION: I got my copies from the Grateful Dead's Web site. They had some sort of distribution agreement for awhile in the late '90s or so. "Mare Take Me Home" kills me, as does the version of "Don't Talk About My Music" on there.

2. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Thanks John for confirming. I saw many memorable performances at Richards, including Little Feat with Bonnie Bramlett, but seeing Al & Steve together with the Q was icing on the cake. As I recall, Tom Staley was still with the group at the time.

3. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

4. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I had heard that Terry was ill but didn't realize it was this serious and I'm very glad he's still with us. His new band does have a lot of energy but as long as the Spampinato Brothers are performing, I think it's hard to conceive of this as the new Q.

5. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Wow-- Pretty big news. I haven't yet seen this band, but the reports I've heard say that they are very worthy to assume the name.

6. xios

xios Senior Member

Scraps Companion was only available from that Grateful Dead site as far as I know- I never saw it in stores except as a used item. Glad Terry's beat his cancer.

7. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

I picked up a copy on Amazon...a bit pricey, but I had to have it:cheers:

8. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Yes, it was definitely still Tom on drums.

9. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Finally, the truth. Thank you, Terry.

I had heard the cancer rumors early on, from Al Anderson, of all people.

I would have never guessed there would ever be problems between Terry and Joey ... just goes to show ya ... I'll miss the genius of Tom Ardolino on stage, although he has popped up a couple of times with Terry locally, and I'm lucky enough to live in the Northeast, so I may actually get to experience Tom's playing live again someday, I hope. Bringing back the NRBQ name for Terry's band is questionable to me ... now. I'll get over it, I guess.

No mention of Al Anderson in Terry's letter ... interesting.

For now I'm sad ... but I'm glad Terry's beat the cancer and is doing what he was born to do and enjoying it again. I'll be there every time his band comes 'round.

Side note: Talk about happenstance. I played TAPDANCIN' BATS this morning, twice. I just pre-ordered the new CD, too.

10. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Probably just because Al was out of the picture for all of the events mentioned. I think Al and Terry are still friendly, but there's no way Al would join a touring band again when his songwriting career is through the roof.

I'm going to hear the new CD before I pass judgment on the new band. To me the Johnny lineup never made a great studio album (though they didn't make a bad one either), so maybe this lineup can do it.

11. serge

serge Forum Resident

saw TARQ about 2 months ago.. loved it

12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

There's a great live CD by Terry's band called CRAZY 8's ... I've seen his band many times and it's remarkable that Terry found such talented ringers a la the Al Anderson-era NRBQ.

sluggobeast likes this.
  13. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

THE SCRAPS COMPANION is essential NRBQ listening, as are MUSIC'S BEEN GOOD TO YOU and the amazing FROGGY'S FAVORITES VOLUME ONE two-CD affair, which covers a lot of ground (1979-1999) but is, unfortunately, quite difficult to find.

14. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Thanks...found a copy of MBGTY on Amazon, but no luck with the Froggy's Favorites:help::cheers:

15. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Enjoying reading through the thread so far.............I've been an NRBQ fan for over 20 years - saw them for the first time during the "Wild Weekend" era and that still is one of the best shows I've ever seen by anyone - period. Managed to see the Q many times since then, but lost track after the Baby Macaroni / Louisville Sluggers split.

I'm sure glad Terry has beaten his illness. And, I'll throw in to say I'm behind Terry 100% with his decision to re-ignite the NRBQ name. Much as I like the Spampinatos (their new music is great too), the Q is Terry's baby. I certainly wish them all the best - they always put on a great show every time I saw them - wonderful musical memories I'll treasure. All parties deserve to pursue their musical adventures as they see fit - goodness knows how much they gave to the fans over the years.

Years ago I found a sealed copy of the first LP at a flea market for $1. Turned out to be an original 360 sound label pressing - and one of the "good" ones too! Still a favorite (though I usually grab the Stay with Me CD for the early stuff).

I'll second the notion that Scraps and the Scraps Companion are essential together. "Ain't it All Right" contains my all-time favorite guitar solo of all time - I'm sure happy I got to see Steve Ferguson a few times before his passing. Even got to say "hi" and have a little chat with him after the Louisville Sluggers show years back.

Thanks to the OP for starting this thread - I'll try to stay on-topic from here on out. Cheers!
    ---------- Chris

16. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Well, nothing that's been released officially, but when I was at the 35th Anniversary show, the night started out with a long bunch of film clips - some of which looked like super-8 home movies of the Q on tour in the early 70's. That was amazing to see then. Sure hope some of that 35th Anniversary show sees the light of day someday on DVD too.........
    -------- Chris

17. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Terry applied for a US trademark registration for NRBQ on his own (Terry Adams d/b/a NRBQ) in December 2010. The application is still pending.

18. David Powell

David Powell Well-Known Member

Last night I was going through some of my 45s and found one I'd forgotten about: a Columbia (mono) radio station promo single of "Stomp" b/w "I Didn't Know Myself". Sounds great!

19. John DeAngelis

Interesting! How'd you find that out?

20. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Yeah, like I said, FROGGY'S FAVORITES VOL. 1 is near impossible to find.

21. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

From the USPTO website, which I look at regularly for work.

http://www.uspto.gov/main/search.html

Click on Trademarks, then use the Basic word search option. Here are the detalis. Date of first use is 1966. "Live/Dead" refers to the application, not Terry!

Word Mark NRBQ
    Goods and Services IC 009. US 021 023 026 036 038. G & S: Audio and video recordings featuring music and artistic performances; Audio tapes featuring music; Compact discs featuring music; Digital music downloadable from the Internet; Downloadable video recordings featuring MUSIC; Musical sound recordings; Musical video recordings; Phonograph records featuring music; Prerecorded audio tapes featuring music; Prerecorded video cassettes featuring music; Prerecorded video tapes featuring music. FIRST USE: 19660101. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19660101
    IC 025. US 022 039. G & S: Baseball caps and hats; hats for infants, babies, toddlers and children; headgear, namely, hats; Jackets; Jerseys; ties; tops. FIRST USE: 19660101. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19660101

Standard Characters Claimed
    Mark Drawing Code (4) STANDARD CHARACTER MARK
    Serial Number 85198152
    Filing Date December 15, 2010
    Current Filing Basis 1A
    Original Filing Basis 1A
    Owner (APPLICANT) ADAMS, TERRY DBA NRBQ INDIVIDUAL UNITED STATES PO BOX xxxxx xxxxxxxx MASSACHUSETTS xxxxx
    Attorney of Record Ned S Schwartz
    Type of Mark TRADEMARK
    Register PRINCIPAL
    Live/Dead Indicator LIVE
    -------------------------------------
    (words only): NRBQ

Standard Character claim: Yes

Current Status: A non-final Office action has been sent (issued) to the applicant. This is a letter from the examining attorney requiring additional information and/or making an initial refusal. The applicant must respond to this Office action. To view all documents in this file, click on the Trademark Document Retrieval link at the top of this page.

Date of Status: 2011-03-17

Filing Date: 2010-12-15

Filed as TEAS Plus Application: Yes

Currently TEAS Plus Application: Yes

Transformed into a National Application: No

Registration Date: (DATE NOT AVAILABLE)

Register: Principal

Law Office Assigned: LAW OFFICE 103

Attorney Assigned:
    CHISOLM KEVON

Current Location: L3X -TMEG Law Office 103 - Examining Attorney Assigned

Date In Location: 2011-03-17

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LAST APPLICANT(S)/OWNER(S) OF RECORD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    1. ADAMS, TERRY

DBA/AKA/TA/Formerly: DBA NRBQ
    Address:
    ADAMS, TERRY
    PO BOX xxxxx
    xxxxxxxx, MA xxxxx
    United States
    Legal Entity Type: Individual
    Country of Citizenship: United States

GOODS AND/OR SERVICES

International Class: 009
    Class Status: Active
    Audio and video recordings featuring music and artistic performances; Audio tapes featuring music; Compact discs featuring music; Digital music downloadable from the Internet; Downloadable video recordings featuring MUSIC; Musical sound recordings; Musical video recordings; Phonograph records featuring music; Prerecorded audio tapes featuring music; Prerecorded video cassettes featuring music; Prerecorded video tapes featuring music
    Basis: 1(a)
    First Use Date: 1966-01-01
    First Use in Commerce Date: 1966-01-01

International Class: 025
    Class Status: Active
    Baseball caps and hats; hats for infants, babies, toddlers and children; headgear, namely, hats; Jackets; Jerseys; ties; tops
    Basis: 1(a)
    First Use Date: 1966-01-01
    First Use in Commerce Date: 1966-01-01

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

(NOT AVAILABLE)

MADRID PROTOCOL INFORMATION

(NOT AVAILABLE)

PROSECUTION HISTORY
    NOTE: To view any document referenced below, click on the link to "Trademark Document Retrieval" shown near the top of this page.

2011-03-17 - Notification Of Non-Final Action E-Mailed

2011-03-17 - Non-final action e-mailed

2011-03-17 - Non-Final Action Written

2011-03-17 - Assigned To Examiner

2010-12-21 - Notice Of Pseudo Mark Mailed

2010-12-20 - New Application Office Supplied Data Entered In Tram

2010-12-18 - New Application Entered In Tram

ATTORNEY/CORRESPONDENT INFORMATION

Attorney of Record
    Ned S Schwartz

Correspondent
    NED S SCHWARTZ

22. jmsquires

jmsquires Forum Resident

So glad to hear Terry beat his cancer. i wish he would remaster & reissue 1st lp.What a classic!!!

23. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll Thread Starter

If anyone has good hi res scans of any of the versions of "Workshop," can you please post them? Thanks!

24. ceddy10165

ceddy10165 My life was saved by rock n roll Thread Starter

NRBQ: Workshop (1973)

NRBQ: Workshop (1973)
    Eddie Kramer: Engineer, Producer.

Lineup 3 (1972-74):
    Terry Adams: keyboards, vocals harmonica
    Al Anderson: vocals, guitar
    Joey Spampinato: vocals, bass
    Tom Staley: drums, percussion

http://badcatrecords.com/BadCat/NRBQ.htm

Pressings:
    Workshop Kama Sutra LP 1973
    Workshop Scraps & Workshop Annuit Coeptis 1976 LP AC-1001-2
    Workshop Sundazed LP 2007 LP-5185
    Workshop Caraway/Japan CD 2008
    RC Cola and a Moon Pie CD 1986 Rounder/Red Rooster (Contains some, but not all, of the songs from Workshop, plus two previously unlreleased songs "Ratch-i-tatch" and "Louisville."

TRACK LIST:
    1. C'mon If You're Comin' (McGhee, Terry)
    2. RC Cola and a Moon Pie (Adams)
    3. Blues Stay Away from Me (Delmore, Delmore, Glover, Raney)
    4. Mona (Spampinato)
    5. Just to Hold My Hand
    6. Get That Gasoline Blues
    7. Deaf, Dumb, and Blind (Spampinato)
    8. Miss Moses (Adams)
    9. I Got a Little Secret
    10. Hearts of Stone
    11. Misunderstanding
    12. Four Million B.C.

Single:
    Get That Gasoline Blues b/w Mona [Kama Sutra 1974. Reached #70 on The Billboard Hot 100]

http://www.sundazed.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=878

The wildly eclectic New Rhythm & Blues Quintet, better known to its worldwide legion of adoring fans as NRBQ (or just the Q!), is the only band on the planet that can play rockabilly, bar-band blooze, Beatles sound-alikes and Sun Ra-style free jazz in the same set and remain standing.

The Q immediately followed Scraps with 1973’s equally terrific Workshop. Gadler had departed, reducing the Quintet to its customary foursome (natch!), but the band never missed a beat with an album that featured the hypnotically chugging “Come On If You’re Coming,” the mouth-watering “RC Cola and a Moon Pie” and the ultra-prophetic “Get That Gasoline Blues."

http://allmusic.com/album/workshop-r63419/review

Review by Lindsay Planer

Originally titled Age of Aquariums, Workshop became the first album to feature what is considered by many to be the "classic quartet" version of NRBQ. This incarnation incorporated the talents of bandleader Terry Adams (keyboard/coronet/trumpet), Joey Spampinato (bass/guitar/sax/vocals), Al Anderson (guitar/vocals), and, in his final studio appearance with the band, Tom Staley (drums). Although they had been performing with an evolving makeshift horn section -- which could (and often would) include coronet/trumpet player Terry Adams and saxophonist Joey Spampinato -- this disc also debuts the semi-permanent Whole Wheat Horn section, consisting of Terry's brother Donn Adams on trombone and Keith Spring on sax. The shift in personnel served the 'Q well, as Workshop was lauded and raved about by enthusiasts as well as pop music critics. Producer Eddie Kramer was able to further enhance the band's practically indefinable style, ranging from the undeniable Paul McCartney-influenced Spampinato rocker "Deaf, Dumb and Blind" to the understated grace and complex rhythmic syncopation of Terry Adams' "Miss Moses." Another Spampinato gem is the organic pop ballad "Mona." Instrumentally, the track is notable for Terry's accordion accents, as well as the conspicuous absence of drums. In addition to the copious originals, the guys revived the C&W-tinged "Blues Stay Away From Me," which had actually been recorded for inclusion on their previous long-player, Scraps. Likewise, their second stab at Brownie McGhee and Sonny Terry's "Come On If You're Comin'" reinforced the popularity of the track, which became a performance and enthusiast favorite. A similar fate would befall the 'Q's unofficial anthem -- the down-home rockabilly rave-up "RC Cola & a Moon Pie." Sadly, Workshop was never reprinted, although several notable compilations such as RC Cola & a Moon Pie (1986) have included key tracks.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

FuturisticWorkshop and gorangers like this.
  25. John DeAngelis

There's a fairly recent ( 2 years ago?) Japanese reissue CD of "Workshop" that is THE one to get. Terry oversaw the mastering and it sounds great!

gorangers and sluggobeast like this.