NRBQ: The best pressings - recommendations wanted

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by ceddy10165, May 19, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gilbert green

gilbert green Forum Resident

How can you tell? Mine is a 360 press...

2. Muddy Holly

Muddy Holly Senior Member

I think most (all?) have a DJ timing strip on the front cover - but not all with the strip are mispressed lps. I forget what they sound like...Johhny D?
    Dave

3. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

I haven't listened to my copy in a long time, but on the misspressed early copies of the first lp, all of the songs have either instruments or vocals that are missing. I think the problem was caused by a misaligned pressing machine.
    I'll try to get the matrix number for the defective copies.

4. gilbert green

Well, I've played mine and I'm fairly sure i would remember something like that!

5. John DeAngelis

You definitely would have noticed if you had one of the bad pressings. Fortunately, there aren't a lot of them.

6. gilbert green

Actually, I'd like to hear it...

7. 2351tv

2351tv Forum Resident

I've got a promo copy of the 1st & it's the only I know or have heard. So maybe it's a bad one. Overall sound pretty good though. Will check matrix later & report back. Someone must have details of which to avoid.

8. John DeAngelis

My mispressing is at my mom's house. Next time I'm out there, I'll try to find it. I've also asked a friend if he has access to his mispressed copy. I'm pretty sure some of the missing things on Side One are vocals, so if you had a bad copy, you'd know it.

9. John DeAngelis

One other thing about the first album. I don't think the band was ever completely happy with it. I think at the start of the CD era they wanted to remix it, but the multi-track tapes were gone. Strangely enough, considering that the first album was recorded independently by Eddie Kramer and then sold to Columbia, the second album--recorded in Columbia studios--sounds a lot better. (Kudos to Columbia engineer Pete Weiss.) And I don't mean to blame Kramer either. I think the band wasn't sure how to approach recording in the studio at first and and weren't open to doing retakes, which made it hard to get a good sound. Once the band had matured a bit, they made 2 of their best albums (Scraps & Workshop) with Kramer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.