Number one singles that have been (almost) completely forgotten

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AFOS, Oct 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Wha? Ol' Joe kept the monstrosity that is "Vienna" (it means nothing to me) off No.1 in the UK so I will ALWAYS remember it! Thanks Joe!

peteneatneat likes this.
  2. TLMusic

TLMusic Musician & record collector

Wow! I've never heard that before.

3. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

Funny I just heard that one last week on my Top 40 station sandwiched between Miley Cyrus and Bruno Mars. It had been awhile though.

4. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I was speaking of the band or group when I said "they," not the members as individual life forms.

5. Glenpwood

Glenpwood Hyperactive!

You gotta appreciate a song that works in the term "subtle whoring" to such a sappy song. I always thought INBTM was a Diana Ross reject since Charlene does that breathy "hey you know what paradise is?" spoken part like Diana does in her older stuff...

6. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

The Temptations also recorded it, believe it or not.

Nostaljack likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

??? Except for maybe the Holmes song, I think all of those are pretty well-remembered. Movies have helped keep some of them alive - and Debby Boone currently does "cheap face life" commercials that feature "Life"!

Classicolin and drasil like this.
  8. Bruriah

Bruriah Forum Resident

Yeah, I wanted to mention Long Haired Lover From Liverpool by Little Jimmy Osmond and Crazy Horses by The Osmonds. I haven't heard them for ages anyway. I now went to Youtube and watched Grazy Horses. It kinda rocks!

Randoms likes this.
  9. zen

zen Senior Member

"Tom Dooley" recorded by the Kingston Trio.

10. cwd

cwd Forum Resident

Do you like pina coladas? "Escape" was the last #1 of the 70s in the US, I think.cwd

11. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Again, see this post. In terms of what you're likely to hear on commercial radio, this ship (and hundreds like it) sailed years ago.

zen likes this.
  12. zen

zen Senior Member

Thanks for the link. Great post. :thumbsup:

13. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

I remember Double Barrel being on the radio all the time in San Diego (of all places) when I lived there in the summer of 1971. It was the second reggae song I ever bought, after "Israelites". But since I moved to northern California in 1972, I've never heard it on the radio from then until now.

Randoms likes this.
  14. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Maybe so, but I was referring to radio airplay. Sure, these songs will end up in movies and commercials, but I almost never hear them on the radio, at least where I live.

15. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Muzak has recently issued the track on discs for playback on its equipment. Expect to hear it.

16. namretsam

namretsam Senior Member

How about every single one of the Joe Isgro engineered number ones from the Michael Jackson "Bad" LP?

17. CliffL

CliffL Forum Resident

El Paso by Marty Robbins...an excellent Western narrative type song that topped the charts in the early sixties.

daveidmarx likes this.
  18. AFOS

AFOS Forum Resident Thread Starter

A few more

Float On - The Floaters
    Matchstalk Men & Matchstalk Cats & Dogs - Brian & Michael
    Cinderella Rockerfella - Esther & Abi Ofarim

19. Same deal with the version by Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods, which was a US/Canada #1 at around the same time.

20. I've never knowingly heard "Playground in My Mind" but I sure know those other songs thanks to movies, TV, commercials, and oldies format radio playing in some commercial establishment.

21. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Never heard on the radio, but if you're a Grateful Dead fan you have probably heard a gazillion live versions of theirs.

22. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

The Breaking Bad finale should have
    given it a new lease on life

daveidmarx likes this.
  23. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Dave and Ansell Collins

24. Slokes

Slokes Cruel But Fair

I was about to point out Charlene's "I've Never Been To Me" never topped the U. S. pop chart, then Wiki'ed it and discovered it topped the U. K., Australian, and Canadian charts. It spent six weeks atop the Aussie Kent Music Report chart, right about the same time Men At Work were men at work.

I would feel a lot superior right now if it wasn't for that "Baby I Love Your Way" medley.

25. junk

junk Hellion

The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia

Nostaljack likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.