Numbered Beatles White Album - a real puzzler

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kipper15, Jul 27, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, maybe it was but I wouldn't condone purchasing bootleg CD's. I only buy the official releases so wouldn't have bought them myself but I know where you're coming from.

When I get round to doing it, a little project of mine is going to be recording either the UK or MoFi Beatles LP's onto CD-R using a standalone Pioneer CD recorder. All my UK pressings - and the MoFi's - are in superb condition with little surface noise. Get the recording level right on the Pioneer and I should be onto a winner.

I have a mid-fi system based around a Rega P3 turntable and Arcam electronics (aah..that British sound :D ) I must point out that this will be for my own enjoyment, such as playing the discs in the car - I will not be bootlegging them. It's also a good way of preserving the vinyl in top condition :)

Basically I can't bear listening to the current EMI CD's. Even the early US Capitol LP's with their added echo are more listenable than those wretched 80's CD's!

2. NGeorge

NGeorge Forum Resident

Hmmm, now that you've mentioned it, maybe I'll do a little project of my own!

First of all, I have a pretty decent system. In fact, my digital front end is better than my vinyl. But with a cartridge upgrade, I could match my 47 Labs digital system.

Like you I do have mint U.S. vinyl pressings. They're mint because I never played them. I bought all these at the advent of digital and scooped up these LPs when a department store was going out of business.

After I bought them, CDs arrived and I never looked back.

Until now.

So I might just do that ... if I'm not lazy.

On second thought, I'm lazy.

George

3. xios

xios Senior Member

Kipper15, my side opening and numbered inners have only the following info printed on them: to the bottom left-"Patent No. 1,125,555"
    to the bottom right-"Made in England". All four corners have a slight rounded diagonal cut like most '70's EMI sleeves. The upper right rear of the cover does not say "stereo". The spine mentions the PMC and PCS catalogue numbers. The cover is one piece joined at the top. I don't know about MMM's copy at all- I've collected UK pressings since 1971 and the only numbered side openers I've ever seen are like yours and mine. In 1973 I had a copy with French discs and UK cover and poster, but it was unnumbered. There are no other markings on mine which give any other clues.

4. kipper15

kipper15 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thanks for the post xios. Seems we have identical reissued White Albums from the same stock, except my inner sleeves have the number 0981 roughly in the centre (between the "Patent" and "Made.." credits. I really am beginning to think that what we have are late 70s reissues - possibly from the BC13 stereo box set.

The French-pressed version from 1973/74 has darker Apple labels but I can't recall the other differences (other than the fact it isn't numbered) without checking further.

I'll do some comparisons with the French-pressed version, and some more research (!) and post my findings shortly.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.