NYC J&R Music World consolidated to half a floor in their new 5 story location

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by seg763, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. seg763

seg763 Senior Member Thread Starter

I went down to J&R at lunch today for the first time in months and, Horrors! the row of stores on Park Row are all closed, at the end of the street the 5 story corner building now houses everything. Pop music was a little more than half of the 3rd floor, looks like about 40% of its former size when it was down the street and probably 20% of its late 90's heyday 2nd floor location. I'm sure i'll end up going there a few more times, but it's the sad end of an era for me. The did still have a decent vinyl selection. The vibe I got was they are selling off all deep catalog and are moving towards popular new releases and evergreen/greatest hits titles.

2. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

This is Terrible!

Gene likes this.
  3. davenav

davenav High Plains Grifter

I think this is just a temporary move, while the other stores are being remodeled.

At least that's what I'm hoping for. J&R is one of my favorite places, not just for music.

4. Judge Judy

Judge Judy Forum Resident

I used to go there every weekend, but since they did this there hasn't been any reason. It's a shame.

George P and rstamberg like this.
  5. 1ifbyrain2ifbytrain

1ifbyrain2ifbytrain Forum Resident

For a long long time J&R had a Doug and the Slugs divider in the CD section, nothing was every there, but they had the divider. Nothing wrong with that.

Fullbug, eddiel, rgutter and 2 others like this.
  6. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

I'm on vacation in the Netherlands and France (Reims right now) and big music stores (even movie shops) are not around like the past. The times are very sadly changing......

7. stingraex2000

stingraex2000 Forum Resident

That is sad to hear, I used to go there every day at lunch and would ALWAYS find something.

8. Gene

Gene Active Member

It really is terrible, J&R is now very cramped and the experience is nothing like it was! What a shame!

9. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

That is depressing. New York is no longer a great place to shop for music or books. The problem is I don't think there is anywhere like the old J&R left.

PhantomStranger, DrJ and Gene like this.
  10. Guy E

Guy E Senior Member

I hope you're right, but I don't see any indication that it's an interim move.

I don't want to discourage anyone from supporting J&R - I recently bought a new amp there, well-priced as always. But the CD music department is a big step down. I've gone there a couple times looking for things that I absolutely expected to be in stock and they weren't. But I could have Special Ordered them. God help us.

BeatlesObsessive, jsayers and Gene like this.
  11. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The "Music World" is getting awfully small. :sigh:

Vidiot, jsayers and Gene like this.
  12. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Not a temporary move. Staff has been laid off, there are for rent by owner signs on the other stores. Unfortunately this looks permanent.

13. Macman

Macman Senior Member

That's too bad. I loved J&Rs, but it's been going downhill for a while. Sign o' the times, sadly.

14. Agent57

Agent57 Marshall will buoy, but Fender control

If that's the case, this really sucks. I've driven back to PA from NYC over the years carting home LOTS of stuff (usually vinyl) from that place...that must have been a huge "holy ****" moment seeing all those Park Row stores closed. Don't even wanna see a pic of that...

15. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

From what I've seen, the music and DVD's are an afterthought as far as stock goes. They'll still make money from their corporate accounts, on-line sales and in-store electronics. It's kind of full circle, because when I first started shopping there in 1974 they operated out of one cramped store, electronics on the street level, music in the basement.

16. DPM

DPM Senior Member

I lived in the NYC area for six years (1986 to 1992), and what a magical time it was. There were more music stores than I knew what to do with. It was true music heaven. Now whenever I visit and venture into Manhattan I feel sad for all that has gone by the wayside. Not all change is necessarily for the better.

footlooseman, tpdorsey, Brudy and 2 others like this.
  17. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

I bought my NRBQ Peek-A-Boo longbox at J&R music world in the nineties while in NYC.

Hamhead and John DeAngelis like this.
  18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

So it goes ...

19. Thurenity

Thurenity Listening to some tunes

Sign of the times, unfortunately.

I shifted departments late last year so I'm not downtown as much anymore. Will be sad to see if I'm over there in the next few months. :(

20. emitex

emitex Forum Resident

I was there 2 weeks ago to purhcase a computer accessory. It never occurred to me to even go an check out the music anymore... Yes, times have changed. Got one of my first 'unofficial' albums there in the 70's when it was still a small store in the basement... memories.

21. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Nope. Permanente. Might as well call it "Music Town" now...

22. Sad, but the music section was going downhill for quite a while now.

23. ex_mixer

ex_mixer Senior Member

Oh no, did not know this! I've been buying from J&R for years. I worked not far from there from around September 11th 2001, it was the first store I visited when the area reopened. I have to go down and see what's up.

24. oshfr

oshfr Forum Resident

Don't worry there are plenty of Frozen Yogurt, Cupcake, and Specialty Candy stores to drown your sorrows in that have taken their place. In high school my friends and I would pile into my car and venture into the city (I was the only one brave enough to drive in with only a Junior license), and visit all of the music stores we could, at least once a month. At least the live music scene is still healthy and thriving.

footlooseman and Murph like this.
  25. timind

timind phorum rezident

Never been to the physical store but I purchased (mail order) a Sony integrated amp from them way back in the 70s. Also purchased a turntable from them as well as my first cd player 88 or 89. Very reliable for me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.