NYC LP Stores (New York City)*

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by bliss53, May 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

Tell me about it! He has a knack for discouraging people to buy!

JG

2. James Glennon

James Glennon Senior Member

The few occasions I was there, the quality of the records was atrocious and the prices nearly matched!

JG

3. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

How timely! I'm off to LI, NY tomorrow and may have an opportunity to get in some city time over the two weeks I'm there. Some great suggestions. Thanks!

later, chris

4. Peter Downard

Peter Downard Member

If you have any interest in jazz, make sure you check out the Jazz Record Center (east teens, I think - anyway, they have a website).

5. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

W. 26th St.

http://www.jazzrecordcenter.com/

Thanks. :)

later, chris

6. bliss53

bliss53 Forum Resident Thread Starter

We had a great weekend. Thanks again to all. The house of oldies guy on Carmine was nice to us but he like to swear a lot. His lps were generally in better condition than the average used store. His prices were high. I found some stuff in his $10 bin. We went to JR's and got some new stuff and they had a 10% or so off special. We went to Generation and Bleecker St. They are owned by same people. We got some stuff there as well. We then ended the excursion with a 4 hour visit to a awesome beer bar called Gingerman and a trip to the NY philharmonic performance of Mahler I, then to Carnegie deli. A great time was had by all.

7. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

I don't think I've ever seen House Of Oldies open.

And if you're going to go out to Greenpoint to go to Eat, you should hit up Permanent on Franklin Street. Good selection of New & Used, and I've found some gems there for a couple of bucks each.

8. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

After reading your post, I checked out the location on Broadway between 80th and 81st streets. It has a few bins containing rock and jazz records. After looking through them, I found nothing that appealed to me. As I was walking out of the store, I noticed there were a few records that were being displayed at the front counter, including a stereo Highway 61 by Bob Dylan. The cover was so-so, but the vinyl was a different story. It was in pristine condition and a 60's pressing to boot, on the red Columbia "360 Sound" label. The price was only $25. I'm a Dylan fan but do not collect him on vinyl, only on CD. I figured this was too good to pass up, so I took it.

How is the red label stereo pressing considered? Is this one of the better pressings?

Behind Highway 61 was a mono Magical Mystery Tour LP. Again, the cover was nothing to shout about but the vinyl was in NM condition, with no spindle marks on the labels. The price on this was $60. Not cheap, but considering the condition of the vinyl, I thought it was a good deal. It's hard to find mono MMTs in NM condition without having to pay through the nose. Bleecker Street Records in the Village has a copy for sale at the steep price of $200. The condition of the vinyl was not as nearly good as this one.

Both were lucky finds and play quietly too!

9. orthobiz

orthobiz Forum Resident

I'm off to NYC this week. Usually start on St Marks Place and Second Ave, work my west, pass Norman's Sound & Vision (found the Idle Race compilation for cheap back when it was out of print), then hit the village. Used to hit Tower, of course before it closed, and Second Coming but I think it's also closed. Gosh, I used to get lots of promos at Second Coming for cheap in the early 80's...

Gotta make a map from this thread!

Paul

10. MikePh

MikePh Forum Resident/Song and Dance Man

I try to get to Academy on 12th avery few months, great new/audiophile vinyl at decent prices. Haven't been to Willamsburg store, but might have a chance this weekend.

I walked by Generation last night after leaving the Lennon exhibit at R&R HOF Annex, but didn't have time to stop. It looked great from the outside! My wife was with me (but that's another thread :cool:)

Years ago, Bleecker Bob's turned me off as well. I survive quite well without them.

The way in which J&R merchandises vinyl really turns me off. They jam all of the new vinyl into those bins so thight that many have corner and other wear just from sitting in the bins. The used and cutouts that they have on the floor are essentially junk that's taking up expensive real estate. haven't been upstairs though, so thanks for the tip.

11. orthobiz

orthobiz Forum Resident

I agree.

IIRC, back in the early 80's when I first went there all the jackets were empty and the records were behind the counter. I think that was one of the first places like that!

sounds like very little has changed.

Paul

12. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

They're no longer selling records at Eat; the cafe will still be open though. I saw it go from records only, to records and coffee, to records and food, and now food only.

13. regarding Eat, the current owners are evil anti vinyl folk. the good guy from eat is now here...record grouch, basement of old made vintage at 441 metropolitan ave in williamsburg.

14. floweringtoilet

floweringtoilet Forum Resident

Does anyone have anything good to say about Bleeker Bob's? I lived in NYC for 7 years back in the 90s, and I'm pretty sure I never bought a single thing from that hellhole, despite occasional browsing--everything was just way to overpriced, even by downtown Manhattan standards.

I had an amusing encounter with the owner of Bleeker Bob's once. I had just bought some vinyl at Generation and was walking by Bleeker Bob's. The owner was out front and called me over. He wanted to see what I had bought. After looking through my stash he told me Generation had "ripped me off." So I took him into his own store and showed him how he had some of the exact same stuff marked at 2 to 3 times the price I paid. He yelled at me, kicked me out and told me to never come back. I was happy to honor his request.

I really have to wonder how such a blatantly crappy store, with such hideously overpriced merchandise, and an obnoxious owner has managed to survive for such a long time.

15. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Yeah, I don't get it either. They really suck.

16. awizard

awizard Forum Resident

I would also recommend Tunes if you can find the time to make it over to Hobboken. I make it a point to stop there and J&R anytime I make a trip to the city.

Tunes has decent prices on collectible rock records and a $1 bin that will make your head spin. I have also picked up more than a handful of Target CDs for under $5 over the last year or so.

17. JuanTCB

JuanTCB Senior Member

The Brooklyn Record Riot is at the Polish National Home/Warsaw on Driggs in Greenpoint this Sunday. Always a good time...

18. btf1980

btf1980 Senior Member

Good Records on 5th st between 2nd & 3rd ave is pretty cool. Decent amount of African, Funk & Soul records.

19. rediffusion

rediffusion Forum Resident

20. sethICE

sethICE Forum Resident

Another one bites the dust - I passed by Tropicalia in Furs the other day, and it's gone. Unless Joel moved it to another location??

21. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

I wasn't that impressed with Academy in the village. To me it wasn't worth the trip and I remember wishing I had gone to the Annex instead.

22. Cronverc

Cronverc Forum Resident

You wouldn't believe but just a couple years ago it was the best record store in NYC area. I mean THE BEST! I bought a lot of great records there before, but now I got a feeling, than they eBaying anything good. Every time I'm there lately I just can't find anything of interest.

By the way the Annex in Brooklyn has gone the same way. The only difference, they much more "flexible" on condition of used records, sometime prices regardless high. Also, I noticed a couple of times, they tried to pass domestic records in UK cover as "UK pressing".

23. adm62

adm62 Senior Member

Visited a few in the village last weekend. Everything was shockingly expensive, not talking about 50% higher than you would expect, but 5 times, 10 times usual price. e.g. a beat up Quadrophenia soundtrack double LP for $60 :crazy:

24. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Record Grouch in Greenpoint Brooklyn is the best record store in New York City.

25. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Clive, how do you get there from Manhattan?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.