NYC record stores

Discussion in 'Music, Movie and Hardware Store Guide' started by jeendicott, May 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member Thread Starter

I'm going to be in the Big Apple soon to see "Hairspray." My wife returns home the next morning; my flight isn't until eight that evening, so I'll have most of the day to knock around the city.

I was wondering if any forum New Yorkers could recommend any good places for either DCC/MSFL discs, rare imports or *ahem* "releases of indeterminate origin." Vinyl may be too much to lug back, but you never know.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

All the used record stores in New York sell their MFSL/DCC through the Internet these days. They get more money and their regular customers do not accuse them of ripping them off.
    However, that said, you might get lucky at Academy on West 18th or Rocket Scientist on Carmine in the Village. I visit these shops once a week and see MFSL/DCC about once every four months - you might get lucky.
    I saw a new copy of Linda Ronstadt's GH DC (can't remember Vol 1 or 2 - sorry) DCC at in Discorama in the Village for $19.99 new - just yesterday. They also have the Summit Sinatra DCC for the same price (CD).
    J and R downtown on Park Row has some DCC's left. Sinatra '57, The Everly Brothers and Queen (don't remember title) for $25.99 new (all CD's).
    Good luck.

3. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

The 66th & Bway' Tower or J&R has always been good to me, but there are other smaller shops that people mention from time to time. I'm sure some will chime in and direct you in short order.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see Kayaker's post.

4. ZIPGUN99

ZIPGUN99 Active Member

We had a thread with some NYC record store stuff in it a bit back:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=227234#post227234

One that didn't get mentioned: Wowsville, on 2nd Avenue, around the corner from St. Marks Place, I think it's between 7th and St. Marks. It's near a place that has a giant hamburg and fries outside.
    They had a lot of new and used vinyl in the rockabilly/punk/garage mode,
    and a swell assortment of Ed "Big Daddy" Roth artifacts. I bought two live MC5 concerts on brand new vinyl.

The last time I was there (about two weeks ago around eleven in the morning) they weren't open, but there was a street fair on 2nd avenue, and the block was closed to traffic, so maybe they just took the day off.

5. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

Rockin Round In NYC

Just go to The Village and walk up and down Bleeker Street. My fave is Bleeker Street Records. Great eats on and around Bleeker too. I have spent more than one day in The Village from ten AM to midnight. Great shopping there for wives too. We usually split up and stay in contact via cell phone and hook up for meals and coffee. A great to spend a day.
    Enjoy!
    Peace
    Norm

6. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Yes Bleeker Street Records. Great "new" used CD section. No DCC/MFSl but great bargains on new promo CD's.

7. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

There's some great Cee Dee shops on St Marks Place...Sounds and another Store across the street from Sounds...Also check 8th street Revolution Records....Second Coming Records, forgot the street location? And a few more I'm forgetting about!

8. RDK

RDK Active Member

Yep, Bleeker Street and St. Marks are the places to stop!

9. Michael

Nothing like them in the 60's, 70's and 80's! They were unbeatable!

10. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy

A word of caution

Let me mention that you will see a lot of bootlegs in The Village.
    I have even seen boots that are made to look like MoFi Gold discs.
    They have covers that mimic the Ultradisc covers fairly well, right down to the same coloring and lettering.
    Just something to be aware of.
    Now have a great trip
    Peace
    Norm

11. RetroSmith

RetroSmith Forum Hall Of Fame<br>(Formerly Mikey5967)

Go to 8th street and St Marks place.

On that block is kims Video/Audio which has thousands of cds, Venus records, SMASH records, and a coupole others, all within the one block.

Happy Hunting!!

12. Johnny C.

Johnny C. Ringo's Biggest Fan

The ultimate place for boots is (was?) Revolver Records, off 6th Ave on West tenth.

13. Michael

Great Store! Keith was a nice guy too! Very helpful and knowledgeable...

14. Michael

Re: A word of caution

I'll bet it'll be hard to fool all the musicologists around here!

15. jeendicott

jeendicott Senior Member Thread Starter

Thanks, everyone, for the good info!

16. Kayaker

Kayaker Senior Member

Also "Joe's" - which is across the street from "Sounds". Joe's is also in the West Villiage on Christopher Street.

17. Ere

Ere Senior Member

I compiled this list off the Internet prior to a visit in March and added some notes based on my experience then. One general comment is that the owners and staff at all the stores I went to were very helpful, even referred me to other nearby stores I didn't have on my list.

Ere

The West Village is probably the easiest place to record shop in NYC. Look at a map before you go there, and you'll discover that all these store are within two minutes' walk from each other. Take the 1 line subway to Sheridan Sqaure/Christopher St. station or the F, A ,C or E to West 4th St.Station, and you'll be right in the middle of it all. One of the nicest things is that it's an area where you'll feel safe and comfortable; the East Village, for instance, is a bit nastier. Happy shopping!

Golden Disc/Bleeker Street Records
    239 Bleeker Street (near Route 66 Records and House of Oldies)
    New York, New York 10014
    (212) 255-7899
    This place underwent a major change in 1997; rennovated to be beautiful, big and bright, it's a fun place to shop. Lots of imports at very respectable prices ($9 for a UK CD5!) and a strong selection of the hard to find. The wall behind the counter has an astounding selection of collectables and rare editions. And yes, there's bootlegs; lots of them. [None of note in March 2003]

Generation Records
    210 Thompson Street (Off Bleeker St., near Kim's Video & Audio)
    New York, New York 10012
    (212) 254-1100
    They have lots of indy rock and quasi-legal import live CDs (also known as bootlegs), with a very cool punk/ska selection too. [Good boot selection march 2003. Bought Watford Wizards here. Good service]

Rockit Scientist
    43 Carmine Street
    (southwest of Bleecker)
    (212) 242-0066
    [OK boot selection – owner warned me away from a poor sounding 1971 disc.]

NOTE: there are also two vinyl-only stores on this block of Carmine. One was heavily toward current DJ 12" singles and the other was real vintage vinyl, on the same side of the street and a couple doors down from Rockit. Carmine St is only one block long]

Revolver Records
    45 West 8th Street
    New York, New York 10011
    (212) 982-6760

East Village
    Keep your wits about you and you'll most likely be just fine. If you take the 6 line subway, you can get out just a block from St. Mark's at Astor Place Station, or you can grab the N or the R and get out at the 8th Street station.

Smash Discs
    33 St. Marks Place (between 2nd and 3rd Ave.)
    Mainly expensive. Has lots of hard-to-find things, particularly promo
    CDs and Japanese issues. In the summer, they sell some used discs in
    crates outside the store at $3 each; these crates have often turned up
    very recent discs that are of known acts.*** CASH ONLY ***

St. Marks Sounds
    16 St. Marks Pl. (East 8th St. between 3rd Ave. and 2nd Ave.)
    The gold standard for NYC record stores. The widest selection of used
    CD's anywhere. Used discs will run $5 to $9 as a rule, with $9 going
    to "in" bands like the Green Day, Bad Religion, some imports, etc. The
    best part is that used prices tend to fall fast for less popular
    bands, even their recent releases. There are two stores; both have new
    and used discs in them, but the smaller shop also carries cassettes.
    On the south side of the street. They've stopped carrying vinyl and
    have a small $1-$2 bin. But they've increased their jazz, country,
    international and kids (!) music sections. One is on ground level, the
    other is three doors east, and up a flight of stairs. **** CASH ONLY

Norman's Sound and Vision
    67 Cooper Square
    (St. Marks & Bowery)
    (212) 473-6599
    [Lots of cut-outs and decent prices.]

18. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

Generation records is the best store I've ever seen for bootlegs.

19. Michael

I've frequented all the above mentioned stores, they are all wonderful...Never left empty handed! Most trade also, so bring some stuff with ya!

20. d.r.cook

d.r.cook Senior Member

Hey, where's Jimbo--the Bleeker Street Wizard, the L.I. Impersario--"always STARVING for more"?:)

Jimbo doesn't just know these places, he's the "Hey, Norm" of many of them!

doug

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.