Oasis (and solo) album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vertigone

vertigone Forum Resident

"Turn Up the Sun", The Importance of Being Idle" and "Part of the Queue" are all great. The rest is middling ("Lyla", "Let There Be Love") or worse (the rest).

Erik B. likes this.
  2. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Gawd. Awful. Capitol G. Capitol A.

With the exception of Let There Be Love all the rest of those songs were very bad. Noel was disinterested. Liam's songs are . . . not good.

I knew when I heard the first single "Lyla" the love affair with this band was over.

I saw this tour in San Diego. I believe Jet opened for them. Most memorable thing was the George Harrison look alike on keys. Dig Out Your Soul was a masterpiece compared to this dreck. Truly their nadir. And I rank seeing them on the BHN and SOTSOG tours as two of my favorite shows out of 150 plus concerts I have seen.

True story. From BHN up until this point , I bought all their discs on release day. Even if I was broke af I would scrape the money together to get it on release day. This release scarred me so badly, I didn't get Dig Out Your Soul until 2017.

Gawd. Awful. Capitol G. Capitol A. Listened to it on the way back from my roadie to see LG in November. My opinion is confirmed.

3. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

cause that is the only thing on there worth my time. (I admit it is a pretty great track). God Awful. Capitol G. Capitol A.

4. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

This song was better as Street Fightin' Man

Gawd Awful. Capitol G. Capitol A.

5. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Noel truly taking the piss on this one.

Gawd Awful. Capitol G. Capitol A.

6. Liam Brown

Liam Brown Forum Resident

Don't Believe the Truth is my favourite Oasis album.

I guess, objectively, it can never be rated higher than the first two, but I listen to this more. I only skip Turn Up the Sun and Guess God Thinks I'm Abel. Mucky Fingers could be better, but I usually can stick through it.

I feel The Importance of Being Idle is one of Noel's career high points. Perhaps his best lyric, in a field that is, admittedly, not crowded.

I had high hopes for Andy Bell's songs, as I knew and loved Ride before I'd ever heard of Oasis, but I don't much like what he came up with on any of the records, it was curious, perhaps he was less important in the songwriting of Ride than I'd imagined. I think Liam's song were stronger on the last record, but Love Like a Bomb is fine. A Bell Will Ring is the only song by Gem Archer that I like. In any band he's been in. The guitars sound good.

Sometimes I insert the song These Swollen Hand Blues into the track list after Mucky Fingers, as that song can be heard fading up at its end. Must have been part of the record at one point.

Favre508, 905, Haristar and 1 other person like this.
  7. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

Andy was a prominent writer in Ride but even while he was still in the group towards the end, I got the sense that he was trying to write songs that fit with the current trends. By the time he was in Oasis, I think he was trying to write Oasis songs and that's honestly not his strength. I do think he pulled off a couple decent tunes, though.

And now that he's back in Ride and not ashamed to be in a shoegaze band, he's writing good stuff again.

8. I really like DBTT. SOTSOG (to a degree) and moreso HC felt to me like Oasis trying too hard to sound like Oasis, if that makes sense. Noel trying to write songs that fit the same mold as what they became known for on their first 2 albums and becoming sort of Oasis-by-numbers. DBTT I found had a freshness to the sound that the previous 2 albums (HC in particular) lacked. It's catchy and tighter than HC and has sort of a Kinks-y feel in places. Turn Up the Sun, Lyla, Importance of Being Idle are all great. I've always really dug Guess God Thinks I'm Abel too:

9. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Solo Noel's latest album, just wish he went back to listening to The Kinks Village Green end result The Importance Of Being Idle that's top quality song writing chops.

10. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

what are mucky fingers?

11. I unabashedly love Don't Believe The Truth and taken as an album only place WTSMG over it. I've said it before, but The Importance of Being Idle is the best Kinks' song never written by Ray Davies. The only song that should have been left off the album is Lyla, a decent but pointless Rolling Stones rip-off that would have been a b-side in earlier years. Keep the Dream Alive is Andy Bell's best attempt ever at impersonating Noel's songwriting skills. Even Liam's contributions are light years better than his prior songwriting efforts.

The album would have been utterly perfect if it had included Those Swollen Hand Blues.

I've listened to every version of this album. If you are wondering, I go back again and again to the Japanese CD.

12. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident

My favourite song from this period was Liam’s Pass Me Down The Wine, wish he’d revive it.

13. 905

905 Senior Member

Don't Believe the Truth is probably my favorite Oasis album, and I have fond memories of that era for Oasis.

14. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

I believe I love this album as much as everyone else here does (except @Eric B.). I even like the contributions of Archer and Bell, though I wish Andy had written "A Bell Will Ring" for the wordplay associated with the title. I think that Liam has more ability with melody than originally thought. Than even he originally thought. I love "Guess God Thinks I'm Abel" and the brief and effective "Meaning of Soul". This album shows he can pen a good tune himself, though certainly not always on a par with Noel and not with the abundance of ideas, Liam was learning how to make the most of the talent he had with songs.

Favre508, 905 and Haristar like this.
  15. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

One of my favourite songs from the DBTT sessions, and my favourite Gem song, is "The Quiet Ones".

I often think it sounds like a George Harrison song.

Favre508 likes this.
  16. Harmonator

Harmonator Forum Resident

I was at this gig it was complete chaos from start to finish. One thing that will always annoy me though is that Noel’s mic wasn’t loud enough so his vocal was constantly drowned out by the sound of the band. You can tell on the recordings. Great gig though and a great tour.

Seen them quite a few times that year. Definitely view this as a return to form in album terms. Hardly a bad track on it. Their last quality album for me and on a par with SOTSOG

17. A gig like that you can see the sort of last gasp of the types of gigs without everyone having a cellphone held up recording the gig. There are still some but nowhere near the same.

Erik B., 905 and Harmonator like this.
  18. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

Really love Heathen Chemistry. In retrospect, it was the last solid Oasis album. "The Hindu Times" and "Little By Little" belong with the best of their singles, particularly the latter which is just a fantastic track. "She Is Love" is another great song. Some of the contributions by Archer and Bell are less interesting, unsurprisingly, although not terrible. "The Cage" is an underrated track as well. The album would have been stronger if the incredible b-side "Shout It Out Loud" had been added to replace one of the weaker album cuts, probably "A Quick Peep".

Saint Johnny likes this.
  19. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Travelled to the UK for to the first post-Oasis Noel Gallagher solo gigs with new material, after already having attended the very first post-Oasis gigs (with an acoustic Oasis set) at the Royal Albert Hall a year and a half earlier. First song, 'It's Good To Be Free', alright, I get the pun, disappointing, same as at the Royal Albert Hall opener. Second song, 'Mucky Fingers'... :') Taking the piss. A choice he dragged out for another year including at festivals after that. As surprising as the setlist choice 'The Meaning Of Soul' back when I saw Oasis in 2009.

Anyway, as far as I noticed this album was always considered as the better of the post 'Morning Glory' albums, but when I look at it critically now, there's no song I would go back at. 'The Importance Of Being Idle' is a nice British pastiche (The La's/The Kinks) I don't really mind hearing by Noel Gallagher live these days. 'Lyla' is a smart lad rock stadium anthem, but not for me. All the other good moments (the chorus of 'Keep The Dream Alive', the simple 'Jumpin' Jack Flash' energy of Liam's 'The Meaning Of Soul' for example) are completely derivative and done before so many times, so much better, even by themselves.

20. Harmonator

Bonus track from the Japanese version of the album

Haristar likes this.
  21. robcar

robcar Forum Resident

I pretty much agree with this, except that "Lyla" is my favorite song on the album and maybe the only track from the album I would include in a personal Oasis playlist. Otherwise, yeah, this was such a drop in quality from the mostly excellent Heathen Chemistry.

Erik B. likes this.
  22. Harmonator

From the Goal soundtrack 2005

23. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

I forgot all about these songs. :shake:

Not sure how I forgot "Who Put the Weight of the World On My Shoulders" because it's definitely one of my favourite latter day Oasis songs.

Favre508 likes this.
  24. Harmonator

Old songs but released 2005

25. 2005-06 was a great time to be an Oasis fan.

Spear and Magic Helmet and 905 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.