Oasis (and solo) album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harmonator

Harmonator Forum Resident

2. Harmonator

3. Harmonator

Was at this. Sounded better than the Etihad and Hampden Park on the same tour

4. That has one of my all-time favourite performances of Morning Glory.

Harmonator likes this.
  5. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

I freaking love this album, and I really do not understand why some people do not like this album. This album has really great songs by Noel and Liam, and the Gem and Andy tunes are pretty good as well. to me this us my 3rd favorite Oasis album, 4th if you include the Masterplan. this is the Oasis comeback album that everyone needed!

6. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

Importance of Being Idle us my favorite song from the album, and in my top 10 Oasis songs! this was the song that actually got me hooked on the band 2 years ago, it's such a perfect song from the production, vocals, and lyrics! A truly awesome song!

Haristar likes this.
  7. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

Top 5 songs from the album
    1. Importance of Being Idle
    2. Let There be Love
    3. Lyla
    4. love like a Bomb
    5. Mucky Fingers

8. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

I love it. It's the song that made me want to pick up and learn the guitar.

9. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

This is great! Any song that gets people to pick up the a guitar a learn to play is a great song in my book. Have you notice Noel's fondness for the "Cadd 9's and variants?" He uses them a lot!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
    Allen Michael and Haristar like this.
  10. Haristar

Yeah I really like the Cadd 9 chord in "Talk Tonight".

11. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

...and in (probably) All in the Mind, Wonderwall, Little By Little, Go Let It Out, etc. That chord pops up a lot in his music. Not to get too hung up on chord shapes, but if you move your fingers around that "C" shape lots of Oasis songs can be configured! Hard to believe the man conceived of so many masterful melodies around such simple guitar playing- Testament to his genius.

12. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I think last time I heard this (about two months ago just to confirm that it was, in fact, gawd awful) I was really hung over after seeing the LG show the night before and the loud mastering hurt my head.

That being said, Importance of Being Idle belongs on a Noel Gallagher's High Flying Birds album.

I have upgraded this to Gawd awful. No capital A.

[​IMG]

AJK74 likes this.
  13. That picture reminds me of something when I see the hype sticker for the 1994 Metro Club show. We all know there are dozens of live Oasis bootlegs out there, some great and some less than great.

For a band that has dozens of soundboards available during their prime touring days, the record label has been quite shoddy in officially releasing much live output at all. They left money on the table at the height of Oasis by not issuing more live concerts.

Has anyone cornered Noel in an interview about the lack of live releases? Familiar To Millions is an okay release, but it's about 50th on my list of the band's performances that should have been released.

AJK74 and Erik B. like this.
  14. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

agreed. I have about 15 boots that just blow that away. And I don't consider myself that much of a boot collector

15. ZoSo794

ZoSo794 Forum Resident

I’m still waiting on that full official MTV Uplugged show to be released in some form, you think with Noel’s ego he would’ve had it out ages ago.

Allen Michael, Rocketdog and George P like this.
  16. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

Totally agree about missing Tony.
    They were never the same afterwards. I can say thankfully, that at least I saw three shows, before Tony was booted.
    And another little known Oasis tidbit. The band that became Oasis, was originally started pre Gallagher brothers by Tony and Bonehead as The Rain.

And to the point about the US CD spelling error of Digsy's Diner vs Dinner. Years ago I had stumbled across a YouTube video of an interview Noel did in the mid 90s, IIRC, with a college radio DJ, in Philly, I think.
    Where this college aged kid/DJ (who is obviously a massive Oasis fan) asks Noel about 10 minutes in, but out of the blue, about "Digsy's Diner" (sic). And as he's talking he keeps calling it Digsy's Diner (sic) What the song is about, what does it mean, etc. And Noel corrects him, and asks why do you keep calling the song Digsy's Diner?. Saying it is NOT Diner, it is in fact Dinner. And the young DJ/fan must be mistaken. Because Noel wrote it and he knows what he named it.
    And they start going back and forth, good-naturedly, with both telling each other, that the other is wrong, until someone off camera, hands the US CD to Noel, and as he reads the credits, he is is shocked, and starts cracking up laughing, that in fact, on the US CD it actually does say Diner, instead of Dinner.

I wished I would've have saved it. As I've never been able to find it ever again.
    And, it was hilarious!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2018
  17. Haristar

I wonder why it was changed to Diner in the US? Is it because diner is a more familiar word in the US than dinner? Or just a simple misspelling?

Saint Johnny likes this.
  18. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

BTW, the 'Mucky Fingers' intro rips off 'Vice', by Razorlight, released in 2004.

19. Mr wiggles

Mr wiggles Forum Resident

Who haven't Oasis ripped off?
    Still love them though.
    Lyla is such a great positive song

20. Haristar

On that note I suppose "The Importance of Being Idle" is a bit like a hybrid of "Clean Prophet" by the La's and "Dead End Street" by the Kinks.

The La's - Clean Prophet

CheshireCat and boiledbeans like this.
  21. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

wow didnt know they blatantly based this video on it! :laugh:

CheshireCat and Haristar like this.
  22. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

:yikes:

Funny is this, because I am sure I remember Noel slagging off Razorshite back in the day.

boiledbeans likes this.
  23. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Surprised that Kenbworth has never been released, seeing as it was pro shot. Its an occasion that has gone down in legend.

Maybe they dont think it's good enough. I have seen one of the nights on YouTube - when Liam was wearing a jumper with sleeves that were too long for him, talking ****e throughout and obviously was roaring drunk.

24. Haristar

My Masterplan 2 track list:

1. Let's All Make Believe
    2. (As Long As They've Got) Cigarettes in Hell
    3. One Way Road
    4. Just Getting Older
    5. Idler's Dream
    6. Shout It Out Loud
    7. Thank You For the Good Times
    8. My Generation (Live)
    9. Pass Me Down the Wine
    10. The Quiet Ones
    11. Who Put the Weight of the World On My Shoulders?
    12. I Believe In All
    13. Those Swollen Hand Blues
    14. The Boy with the Blues

Luke The Drifter and Erik B. like this.
  25. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

My favourite songs from this period are the ballads - 'Let There Be Love' & 'Who Put the Weight of the World On My Shoulders?'

Although IMHO, WPtWotWoMS would be better without the f-word.

I have never been a fan of the "lazy-sounding" song series - 'Importance of Being Idle', '(Get Off Your) High Horse Lady', 'The Death of You and Me', 'Be Careful What You Wish For' - and I don't know why others rate these as one of the best Noel has ever done. :shrug:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.