Oasis (and solo) album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Derek Slazenger

Derek Slazenger Specs, rugs & rock n roll

Let's have a look at it! :)

2. PJayBe

PJayBe Forum Resident

Currently in storage after our daughter came home from uni and moved back in........ Will find one day and post.

3. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

I just wanted to talk about "Sad Song" for a little bit. When all of my friends like to dog on Oasis and Noel Gallagher saying that he is just rips off the Beatles this is the song that I show them, and most of the time they come out saying wow. This song is so melodic and simple it almost reminds me of a song that Neil Young would have done in the 70s. I think this song is a testament to how good of a songwriter Noel Gallagher is that he left this song off along with, "Take Me Away", "D'yer Want to be a Spaceman", "Listen Up", "Fade Away", "Half the World Away", "Whatever", and countless others off of Definitely Maybe.

4. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

5. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I'll be following this thread, and I have been on an Oasis/BE/LG/NG renaissance kick lately

6. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

I pop into Sifters every couples of months, and get my cds for £2.99 :righton:

7. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Great album, I saw Oasis twice in this era. One at Middlesbrough Arena on the night Kurt Cobain died (08/04/1994) with a very small crowd a couple of weeks before they released Supersonic. I saw them again when they had made it, in December 1994 at Middlesbrough Town Hall. The early Arena one was fantastic, with a strange atmosphere due to the sad news and the one at the Town Hall is considered a legendary gig around here, but I found it mediocre.

I preferred and still prefer Blur anyway!

Pop_Zeus and Derek Slazenger like this.
  8. KayNicole

KayNicole Well-Known Member

Call me basic, but "What's The Story (Morning Glory)?" will always be one of my favorites. Just so many classic songs on that album! Wish Oasis was on good terms so they could tour!!

9. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

Bring It on Down has IMHO the 3rd best guitar solo (the entire outro) on the album, after Live Forever and Slide Away.

10. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

listening to that amazing heartfelt Slide Away solo right now

[​IMG]

11. boiledbeans

Here's another pre-Definitely Maybe demo

This one has the verse bass riff of 'Lock All the Doors' and elements of the 'Bring It on Down' guitar solo.

12. boiledbeans

My favourite live version of Supersonic, from 1994 MTV

The highlight of this version is Noel's guitar outro

13. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

I'll add me two penn'orth. I was 18 when Definitely Maybe came out and it was right up my street. The Stone Roses had been my first love musically and I was sceptical at first because Oasis were so hyped, but they owned 1994 & 5 in Britain. I went to college in Oct '95 and you couldn't walk into a uni bar without hearing some part of "What's the Story" on the jukebox.

For me that was when Oasis became more succesful and a lot less interesting. People slated the underwhelmed Q magazine review of WTSMG when that album took off, but with hindsight they were dead right. (they said the lyrics were tossed off, just filled a hole and made little sense and that the album had been recorded in too much of a hurry). Oasis never bettered Definitely Maybe imo and I loved it. Even bought the singles boxes that were designed to look like packets of Bensons cigs. Still have the Whatever single with a big crack in the plastic sleeve where I fell on it while bladdered.

After a while I no longer loved the band they'd become. It was all tedious Beatles references and celebrity wives. I still listen to Definitely Maybe and yet haven't listened to WTSMG for years. FWIW, my perfect version of DM would drop nothing and just add Listen Up, Fade Away & D'yer Wanna be a Spaceman? Then it'd be 11 out of 10!

jalexander, Man at C&A and Erik B. like this.
  14. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I still think their TV debut on The Word is exciting. I recorded this and played it so many times back in the day. It took me a few plays to get used to the record when it came out a couple of weeks later as it was slower.

15. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

I got bored of them very quickly, but I still enjoy Definitely Maybe. I think it's a shame Sad Song isn't part of the standard album, just a vinyl extra track. I've always liked that one.

Pop_Zeus and George P like this.
  16. SBegonias17

SBegonias17 Forum Resident

Definitely Maybe is definitely a time and place album for me. I remember blaring it loudly all the bloody time in college (even though that was almost a decade later). Didn't hurt that I looked a little bit like Liam in college. A great just pure rock album that's all about potential and where things may go - full speed ahead.

The B-sides to the album were pretty great too; however, being American they are just a jumbled mess in my head of when they were released.

17. Nick Drake fan

Nick Drake fan Forum Resident

Similar for me. I didn't really get into Oasis/Noel Gallager solo until early 2015 when I happened to see the NG's HFB 2012 concert at the O2 Arena on TV. It stopped me in my tracks. I was transfixed at how great these songs were - Oasis' as well as Noel Gallagher's solo material. That show, with a full chorus of singers behind the band, is so great. That version of "Everybody's On The Run" is freaking killer. Mind you, I had of course heard "Live Forever", "Wonderwall", "Don't Look Back In Anger" and a few other tracks back in the 90's. And I definitely liked what I heard. But for some reason I never took the time to really check the band out. Possibly it was because I saw Oasis as a band geared primarily for British audiences and who, in the early stages, sorta thumbed its nose at America. But that 2012 live show at the O2 really blew me away. After I saw that, I jumped right in - and loved what I heard. Then just a couple of months later I was able to catch NG's HFB play a show here in New Orleans. That show just cemented my new-found love for Noel's songwriting. Then in July 2016 I road-tripped it to Pittsburgh and caught an absolutely phenomenal double-bill of NG's HFB and Ryan Adams. That turned out to be of my all-time favorite live shows without a doubt. And the icing on that cake was that purely by luck I got to me Noel before the show outside the venue. Very cool guy. Rock star vibe in the best ways. Safe to say I'm a full-blown Oasis/NG fan now. And I'm so fired up because NG's HFB are playing New Orleans again this coming March. Can't hardly wait.

18. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

great story and seeing the NGHFB's/Ryan Adams double bill must have been amaze-balls.

For whatever reason, I did not see Oasis/Ryan Adams in 2008 when they hit Vegas. Weird because I had seen Oasis 4 times they toured near me since the BHN tour.

Nick Drake fan likes this.
  19. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

Maybe you meant April 4, '94 for Middlesbrough- estimated Kurt died on the 5th of April.

Man at C&A likes this.
  20. Spear and Magic Helmet

Wow, that was some great playing by Noel. On the other hand, I knew Liam didn't do a lot of movement on stage, but I don't ever think I've seen him so... fixed.. almost frozen!

boiledbeans likes this.
  21. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

The news came through overnight. Just before we set off the news came through that a body was found at Kurt's house.

It was the Friday regular indie night which had bands on every week. A joint headline tour with Whiteout! They were mocked by the music press but had a couple of good tunes. It was definitely Apr 8th. Kurt's body wasn't found for a couple of days. Which I didn't know until just now. Very strange for such a well known person. I actually didn't know he died on April 5th. I'm not a big Nirvana fan. I like them but at that point I was tired of them and had totally lost interest. I was sick of him whinging. Turns out he meant it.

There wasn't that many people there for the bands. I was told not long ago that the official attendance was 153, but I don't believe that. It didn't seem that empty! Oasis hadn't released a record yet but Steve Lamacq was playing them a lot and Select and NME were writing a lot about them too. They had also been on The Word a couple of weeks before. They only played about half an hour! They opened for Whiteout and a couple of my friends got backstage and met Oasis while Whiteout played, who I watched. "Nice guys, talk about The Beatles a lot" was what one of them said.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
  22. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

I like the way he sings "out" and "about". I wish that was on the studio version.

23. Spear and Magic Helmet

Maybe he was trying to tell us something?

JuanTCB and Haristar like this.
  24. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

One of my favourites from this album is Married with Children. I like the way the angry lyrics juxtapose the peaceful guitar playing and singing.

25. Harmonator

Harmonator Forum Resident

Love the Live By The Sea version :righton:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.