Oasis (and solo) album-by-album thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Haristar, Dec 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth Thread Starter

Wonderwall
    (Released 30 October 1995)

Track listing:
    1. Wonderwall
    2. Round Are Way
    3. The Swamp Song
    4. The Masterplan

2. Haristar

Don't Look Back in Anger
    (Released 19 February 1996)

Track listing:
    1. Don't Look Back in Anger
    2. Step Out (Gallagher/Wonder/Cosby/Moy)
    3. Underneath the Sky
    4. Cum On Feel the Noize (Holder/Lea)

3. Haristar

Champagne Supernova
    (Released 13 May 1996 in US, Canada, Australia, New Zealand and France only)

Track listing:
    1. Champagne Supernova
    2. Slide Away

4. Haristar

Classic album. Maybe some of the songs are a bit overplayed but still a great album. My favourites are Don't Look Back in Anger, Hey Now!, Some Might Say and Champagne Supernova.

Favourite B-sides are Acquiesce, Talk Tonight, Rockin' Chair, The Masterplan and Cum On Feel the Noize.

5. George P

George P Notable Member

Man, I friggin' love this album! The more I hear it, the more I love it. So big, bold, confident and yes, classic!

6. clarkydaz

clarkydaz Forum Resident

Big shout for Cast No shadow. Supposedly about Richard Ashcroft "Bound with all the weight of all the words he tried to say"

7. Aftermath

Aftermath Senior Member

There are many things that I would like to say to you but I don't know how.

A simple guitar and the truth. This one hits deep.

8. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I bought this album on the day of release and remember telling people it was amazing, but I wasn't sure about that acoustic ballad one. I'd have been a terrible A&R man.

9. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

terrible terrible terrible lol

BadJack likes this.
  10. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

I love how obnoxious he was playing that song at the MTV Music Awards. He was going as far as antagonizing the audience. LG always hated America. His voice is amazing on that one, though.

11. Spear and Magic Helmet

Spear and Magic Helmet Forum Resident

I remember my brother bought this record which, unbeknownst to me, would come to dominate the entire 1990's for me. He played this song first, really accentuating the intro's guitar and tom-tom's which came together, building, in the unmistakable sound of a band who really was ready to take on the world. My brother is a low-key guy and I'm not sure if I'd ever seen him so animated over a song before. I loved Definitely Maybe (it's still my favorite), but I think this was the record where Noel showed he had real songwriting chops. Like him or not, now you HAD to pay attention to him. Man, I still clearly remember that day when I first heard this record and was blown away. I still marvel at how Noel was able to follow up the brilliance of "Definitely" with this record! It's all about the songs.

12. Spear and Magic Helmet

"Anger" would come to be Noel's signature song, played live at just about every show. Big audience participation on that one too. Always loved their version of "Cum on"...suited Liam's voice well. Step out is another good song, one of those glorious B-sides.

13. Haristar

Don't Look Back in Anger is one of my all time favourite Oasis songs. I always used to love it but when people started chanting it after the Manchester attacks, it became so much bigger. I got goosebumps when I heard it. Now I admire it even more.

The lyrics are great. "Don’t look back in anger" is a wonderful phrase on its own. The chorus is also one of my all time favourites. And Noel's voice suits it perfectly - not sure Liam could sing it quite as well.

14. Spear and Magic Helmet

Round Are Way deserves its own post!

15. BadJack

BadJack doorman who always high-fives children of divorce

I saw Oasis about two weeks after "What's the Story" came out, and even then it was apparent that the new one that Noel sang was something special. I've always felt fortunate that I got to hear these songs that became classics live when they were just some tunes off the new album.

16. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

What's the Story is in my top ten albums of all time. I like it better than the debut. If you take what the band recorded from the debut through Morning Glory and its singles, it stacks favorably with any band in history.

But yet again, save those B-sides Noel!!

"So, Sally can wait, she knows its too late, as she's walking on by. Her soul slides away...But Don't Look Back In Anger, I heard you say."

17. boiledbeans

boiledbeans Forum Resident

An underrated track

18. Jeff Minn

Jeff Minn Senior Member

Yes, this is one of my very favorite albums. A pure classic from start to finish. Their best in my opinion.

19. George P

George P Notable Member

Agreed on every point! :cheers:

20. Favre508

Favre508 Forum Resident

What an amazing album! One of the only things I can say about this album is WOW! All of the songs on this album are killer and some of the b sides are even better, I mean songs like The Master plan, Talk Tonight, and Aqueous are even better than the a sides. to me, definitely maybe and morning glory are the best one two punch in rock music history.

21. Overthehillsandfaraway

Overthehillsandfaraway Forum Resident

One of the best of their B sides imo "Round are way the birds are minging!"

22. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Never liked that song. I've seen over the years that it has its fans

23. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Seeing the big man in Manchester tomorrow night, hoping to hear a Morning Glory classic or two, and Be Here Now of course !

Champagne Supernova is my favourite Oasis song, timeless.

Favre508 and Erik B. like this.
  24. Spear and Magic Helmet

I would agree that those two are definitely one of the best one-two's in Rock history... but the best is an awfully big statement- Especially on a site where The Beatles ring wraiths are lurking about looking to feast on the souls of Oasis fans- Be careful @Favre508!!

Favre508 and Erik B. like this.
  25. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

LG as you were ? You should get MG

Carl80 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.