Oasis as life-changers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

Fullbug, jfeldt, vonwegen and 3 others like this.
  2. mihu

mihu Forum Resident

I've only read the Lars Ulrich part but it mirrors a lot of how they impacted me as a 16-year-old when Morning Glory came out :love:

Allen Michael and Sunflower like this.
  3. Django

Django Forum Resident

I felt the same about 80's Metallica................but not about Oasis.

4. Aghast of Ithaca

Aghast of Ithaca Forum Resident

Ah, that explains why Lars Ulrich now plays the drums like Tony McCarroll.

5. davidshirt

davidshirt =^,,^=

If you look past the obvious Beatles influence on them and their songs they were able to churn out some pretty awesome rock songs like Supersonic and (What's The Story) Morning Glory?

6. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

They didn't change my life, but they were a helluva entertaining band, even if that wasn't always because of the music.

7. musicalbeds

musicalbeds Strange but not a stranger

8. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Oasis are the reason I picked up a guitar when I was 14.

warewolf95, Fullbug and krlpuretone like this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

When they first appeared I thought their fusion of Beatles/Pistols sonorities was fun but it didn't blow me away. I really like the odd track but I have a hard job sitting through a full album.

10. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

Never rated them; far too derivative of other bands.

GodShifter, Andy Lee, AveryKG and 9 others like this.
  11. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

I actually hated them initially. I bought Definitely Maybe to see what all the fuss was about and just didn't get it. Heard a recording of Noel doing one of their b-sides, "Talk Tonight," with Paul Weller and quite liked that, though, which led to pick up the "Some Might Say" single (more Faces than Fabs for that one), and then checked out (What's the Story) Morning Glory. I thought that was okay -- kind of a letdown after the four tracks on "Some Might Say" -- but I started paying attention at that point. Went back and listened to their debut again and realized "Live Forever" was a pretty great song, but as you say, the albums were pretty hit and miss. I think Don't Believe the Truth is probably the best album they put out, and in all honesty, I think the more Noel sang, the better I liked them. His solo debut trumps pretty much anything Oasis ever released, to my ears.

Allen Michael and Fullbug like this.
  12. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I thought they were OK.. However, I think there day has come and gone. They should have done more to keep it together when they were big. I fear they have now lost their relevance.

Imagine70 and blackg like this.
  13. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Almost twenty years later I would think their relevance is past also.I never did understand their delusional grandioise thoughts of comparison or bigger than the Beatles.

14. mihu

mihu Forum Resident

I think they lost most of their relevance after Be Here Now. But to me their first three albums remain classics.

This kind of in-your-face guitar music has lost its popularity the last 15 years or so. I'm curious how things will look in 10 or 20 years...

notesfrom, Erik B. and blackg like this.
  15. mihu

mihu Forum Resident

To each their own. Funny thing is, I started to become interested in current pop music trends with 'Morning Glory' (and Blur's 'Great Escape' and Beck's 'Odelay'). Before that I was only listening to 60s music

Marko L. and e.s. like this.
  16. Shem the Penman

Shem the Penman Forum Resident

I'm a rare Oasis fan - I don't care so much for the first few but I love Giants and Dig Out Your Soul. Other than that, I think their best work was B-side stuff. Noel solo is great too - sounds like he'd been listening to a lot of Preservation Acts 1 & 2. :righton:

e.s. and Fullbug like this.
  17. Django

Django Forum Resident

Noel has to be the best anthemic songwriter of the last 20 years.
    They were probably the last band I can remember that were just huge. Over this side of the world anyway, you could not escape hearing Oasis. Even if you didn't own an album you knew most of the songs.

18. wallpaperman

wallpaperman Forum Resident

First album was promising, after that I found them desperately dull, their success was staggering in relation to their talent. A lot of their lyrics are like something a 10 year old could have written.

19. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

They absolutely got bet as they went along. They started out as Liam's band and became Noel's band, which was a good thing, all things considered.

And yeah, The Masterplan is probably their best album.

20. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

Agree 100%.

johnny 99 and e.s. like this.
  21. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

20 years since Oasis & it has to be said the development of modern rock music since then has been appalling. Today's band are soft & just fame chasing posers.

Humbuster and Allen Michael like this.
  22. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

I used to listen to Oasis a lot during that period when they first really broke in the U.S. in like 95 and liked a bit of Be Here Now, but I just don't hear enough there to warrant going back. There are a whole slew of musicians absolutely obsessed with this band for reasons I can't quite ascertain. Would much rather listen to Blur than Oasis. And just way too much Beatle-wannabe in the vocals to stomach for too long.

DrBeatle likes this.
  23. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

Meanwhile, Arctic Monkeys have made almost as many albums as Oasis, and get better with each one.

Bryan Harris likes this.
  24. The Good Guy

The Good Guy Forum Resident

If that's the best band out there for the modern era it just confirms how lame it all it's . Compare today with 50s/60s/70s/80s/90s . There is NOTHING decent out there.

DrBeatle, AJK74 and Purple Jim like this.
  25. motionoftheocean

motionoftheocean Senior Member

that's completely wrong even if what's "decent" out there hasn't been mentioned in this thread

Baby Driver and Deaf_in_ LA_1974 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.