Oasis as life-changers

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 29, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

Loads of them! I all I ever here is echoes of "I Am The Walrus", "She Said, She Said", "Ticket To Right", "Rain",...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
    greenwichsteve and Fullbug like this.
  2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

So I guess Hootie & the Blowfish and Alannis Morrisette are the two most "influential" acts of the 90s. Funny that I can't actually hear that influence enduring with other artists. I suppose that the Monkees were also the most influential band of 1967 by this kind of reckoning.

I never had much use for Oasis. Sometimes I'm resistant to excessive hype and I was put off by their big mouths, though I recognized Noel's talent. I think it's fair to say that they were pretty derivative and I didn't really hear a fresh new spin on those influences. I was interested to read recently the admission of one of their producers who felt compelled to master Morning Glory excessively loud to help cover up for shortcomings in the musicianship.

3. RomanBlade

RomanBlade Forum Resident

Makes sense about the loudness on that CD. I was shocked how loud it was for a CD from 1995 when I listened to it yesterday. Still, it remains their highest-selling album.

4. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

How many bands in the last 40 years haven't shown their Beatles influences? Not many. Oasis didn't change my life (The Who did that), but they gave me some great music to listen then and now. I saw them live several times and never came away disappointed. They were the last great rock and roll story, and now we hear their influence new music.

Zeki likes this.
  5. Nick Dunning

Nick Dunning Forum Resident

Oasis were great fun at the time, and I seriously admired Liam's voice and Noel's natural songwriting ability (he's my age as well, which does help).

I lost them with the overbloated nightmare that is 'Be Here Now' and I suspect that is where they started to lose relevance.

Still, very entertaining. Not sure if I could listen to any of it now though.

6. greenwichsteve

greenwichsteve Well-Known Member

And Gary Glitter, and Stevie Wonder (so I heard, and he managed to stop them)........

No originality at all, but a few good tunes - hardly life-changing though

7. greenwichsteve

I bought the single when it came out over here - still in very good nick!

e.s. likes this.
  8. Django

Django Forum Resident

It's all age related. Nirvana were important to me, but at the time to someone 5, 10 years older, they'd heard it all before.

Driver 8 likes this.
  9. greenwichsteve

I don't think you realise how big Blur were in the UK. Can't speak for the States. Perhaps Oasis were more culturally important in as much as they were more accessible and the Gallaghers were always in the news, not always for the best reasons!

10. greenwichsteve

D'You Know What I Mean? would have been a classic Beatles song if it had decent lyrics.

11. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

True age has a part of it. But then again if people the same age had been listening to the Pixies they would have heard it all before too. Of course an act doesn't need to be completely original or innovative to make a huge cultural impact. To me Oasis were entertainers above anything else. But I'd take Supergrass any day over them. :)

12. Agent 34

Agent 34 Forum Resident

Their songs may have been heavily indebted to the past but they have their own history now. In terms of listening pleasure they stand the test of time as they reach and pass their 20th anniversaries.

Humbuster likes this.
  13. RomanBlade

Looking at Blur's record sales in the U.K., their combined discography doesn't come close in terms of album sales to Oasis and their album (What's the Story) Morning Glory? which supposedly sold upwards of 14 million record just in the U.K. Heck, even The Verve and their album Urban Hymns supposedly sold at least 10 million albums in the U.K. and they were bigger than Blur.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  14. That's 14x platinum, not million - bear in mind that platinum in the UK = 300,000, which in this case translates to 4.5 million sales according to our friends at Wikipedia. Which is still pretty fookin' mega, as Noel might say. :)

15. RomanBlade

I didn't know platinum in the U.K. was only 300,000. Weird how that works. Either way, OASis and The Verve were still a bigger band than Blur in the U.K.

16. motownmaniac

motownmaniac Forum Resident

Yeah , when Liam called Michael Hutchence an old has been , i had a laugh and thought " Don't worry buddy soon it will be you "

17. Django

Django Forum Resident

Another factor to Oasis being massive was the tabloid press. They were waiting for a band like oasis.
    The class thing (which the UK press are obsessed with) the upfrontness about drink, drugs and everything else. Manna from heaven for the horrible tabloids.

blackg and Bryan Harris like this.
  18. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

In that regard, Noel was more musically original than he was given credit for (his lyrical borrowings are a different story). But a track like "Some Might Say" took the wall of sound super-distorted guitars of the shoegaze movement and successfully married that sound with Noel's well-known 60s pop and 70s glam influences … and had a #1 UK hit with it.

blackg, PhantomStranger and mihu like this.
  19. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Wish Masterplan would come out on vinyl.

20. Driver 8

Driver 8 Senior Member

This is all true, but, if all they had to offer was lad anthems such as "Cigarettes and Alcohol," I would have very little time for them. What keeps me coming back to their music, despite Liam's lager lout persona, and all of the well-documented plagiarism issues, is the sensitive guy with his heart on his sleeve who was present from the very beginning singing "Sad Song" and "D'Yer Wanna Be A Spaceman," and, later, "Talk Tonight," "Don't Go Away," "Just Getting Older," "Sunday Morning Call," and other songs that rip my heart out.

mihu, Shem the Penman and e.s. like this.
  21. Allen Michael

Allen Michael Fuh you blue

I love this band and will always sing their praises! I think Noel continued the tradition of brilliant English songwriters. Yes he may have "borrowed" but who hasn't? They came around at a time of my life (19 years old) where I was lost and struggling with being an adult and gave me joy and happiness listening to there albums!

FredCamp and irender like this.
  22. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

The Verve by all rights should have been a better, more successful band that Oasis, but Noel basically wrote songs that were fun to listen to. The lyrics, as many have noted, were generally poor, but somehow they worked as singalongs. As Travis rightly wondered, "What's a Wonderwall, anyway?"

23. e.s.

e.s. Forum Resident

A reissue, you mean? I've got a copy from when Big Brother put them all out in 20o9...

24. Django

Django Forum Resident

That was great when Liam got in a bar fight and had teeth knocked out. He had that coming a long time.

e.s. likes this.
  25. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

Lars Ulrich: not only a Metallica drummer, but will run lighting for your band in a pinch.

Dudley Morris, Aftermath and Zeki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.