OASIS "Be Here Now" Remastered 3-CD/4-LP Box Set coming Oct. 7

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YMC4, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing Thread Starter

no track listing yet but at least we've got the release date (10/7/16).

4-LP
    OASIS - BE HERE NOW (RM) - Sounds Recordshop Venlo »

3-CD
    Be Here Now (3cd Remastered) - Oasis: Amazon.de: Musik »

they're wisely coinciding the release with their upcoming documentary film "Supersonic" made by the same director/team behind an excellent, Oscar winning "Amy" from last year.

judging by Definitely Maybe/Morning Glory reissue, i wouldn't hold my breath for much SQ improvement but then again...it can't get much worse to begin with so...let's just hope for some quality 'unreleased' materials for that 3rd disc.

2. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I hope there are plenty of extended versions of the songs.*

*Just kidding.:D

3. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

I've been looking forward to rediscovering this album. Not their best, but it was my introduction to Oasis in 1997 as young teenager and as such, some of those tracks will be somewhere deep in my head.

These Oasis reissues have disappointed in terms of our early expectations of sound quality improvements, but I guess that's how they will always sound. So I look forward to some interesting unreleased tracks, demos and live performances.

Also looking forward to the Supersonic film - I love how that team did Senna and Amy seems to have gotten great reviews as well. The final missing link in the series will be one of their 1995-97 concert films on Bluray!

YMC4 likes this.
  4. crossroads69

I think Noel tried to have a go at remixing BHN in 2014 but soon gave up. It would've been nice to get an alternate "stripped" mix of the album.

5. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Were there any quality B Sides from the singles?

6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I'm actually a fan of this album. There are 5 or 6 tracks that are as good as, if not better than, some of the highlights on Morning Glory.

As for the mastering, I'm not getting my hopes up. I'd suggest Mr Hoffman have a crack at it, but it might even be beyond him.:)

7. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Great news. I was worried that Be Here Now wouldn't get a reissue due to Noel and Liam practically disowning it.
    Stay Young and Going Nowhere are both brilliant, and Angel Child, My Sister Lover, Flashbax, (I Got) the Fever, and the Fame are also great. There's also decent covers of Heroes and Street Fighting Man.

agundy and Maurice like this.
  8. YMC4

while i would LOVE a complete remixed/edited down version of the album, it might lose the whole point/vibe/charm of the album.
    it's suppose to be bombastic, out of control, ego fueled album representing their mind set at the time of (falsely or pre-maturaly) believing they're The Greatest Band in the World.
    i still like it for what it is but it did cause Noel to loose some mojo when his/their 'belief' proved/turned out to be just...fantasy.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    Yorick and Stephen J like this.
  9. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Excellent! Looking forward to it.

10. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

i hope they keep going with these reissues.

11. YMC4

here're all the B-sides that were released from the era :

1. Stay Young
    2. Angel Child (Demo)
    3. Heroes (Bowie Cover)
    4. (I Got) The Fever
    5. My Sister Lover
    6. Going Nowhere
    7. The Fame
    8. Flashbox
    9. Street Fighting Man (Stones Cover)
    10. Cigarettes & Alcohol (Live from GMEX)
    11. Fade Away (Warchild Version)
    *i seem to recall few more Live GMEX tracks were released as future B-sides or promo releases

so that's probably what the Disc. 2 would look alike...not quite in the quality of DM/MG era B-sides but still some keepers there.
    i believe Noel left 'Stay Young' off the album on purpose so his 'B-Sides' cred/praise will continue at the time (regardless of what he says about it typically~).
    same could be said about 'Let's All Make Believe' with the next album.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    NorCal and PhantomStranger like this.
  12. crossroads69

I agree, the wall of sound is quite integral to the original album but a bonus "stripped" mix would've been great to hear the songs before they went through the Oasis production machine. Perhaps we will get some stripped early demos for that...

13. Stephen J

Stephen J Forum Resident

DING! Ditto for the sound of "Definitely Maybe". These Oasis records would just not be the same, in an artistic sense, if they weren't ear-splittingly raw and compressed. That was part of the vibe, the aggression, that the songs were intended to convey.

Messing with something like Be Here Now's compression would be like stripping Joe Perry's guitar off of Rocks. You'd kill the beast.

14. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

great news about time.

Karnak likes this.
  15. whatwhat

whatwhat Forum Resident

god i remember what a massive let-down this album was when it came out.

coke-bloat in extremis.

16. sinfony

sinfony Forum Resident

It will surely feature at least some tracks, if not all, from the "Mustique tape" aka the demo tape he made at Mick Jagger's villa on Mustique holidaying with Johnny Depp and Kate Moss (...a long way from Burnage in a few short years). "Angel Child" is the only thing that popped up officially from that recording.

Yorick likes this.
  17. PhilipB

PhilipB Forum Resident

Sorry if I'm speaking the obvious but here in the UK this album was a big deal when it came out - probably one of, if not the most hyped up album release up to that point. HMV gave out certificates of purchase with the CD, 'I was there then'.

This great blog post explains it in better detail than I could ever put it: Oasis – ‘Be Here Now’ revisited 16 years on »

Then it turned out it wasn't so good. Same thing happened with Blur's The Great Escape, although that has held up much better over time.

matteos, Freek999 and qwerty like this.
  18. nikosvault

nikosvault Forum Resident

The album that killed britpop as well as my eardrums.

The audio fatigue you get from this album is so violent that I can barely make it through two tracks without a break.

19. jconsolmagno

jconsolmagno Forum Resident

I love this album and look forward to the tracklist. I picked this up around release date from Music Oasis in Bethel Park, thinking it had the hit Wonderwall on it. I was mistaken.

20. Nope, a la (What's the Story) Morning Glory, it sure ain't gonna sound worlds better 'cuz the mixes for their first three albums were already quite compressed to begin with. As ubiquitously wonderful as Morning Glory is, I could probably sum up the way it sounds in this fashion: it is SLAMMED RIGHT UP AGAINST THE WALL. No wonder lots of people blame that album for being the one responsible for making the loudness war go all haywire 'n stuff! But, I will say though, while a nice clean, open remix of the album would certainly be great, it would probably suck all of the charm and "signature" out of the album; it'd likely sound rather weird in some ways, as if it wasn't even the same classic album.

enfield likes this.
  21. WarEagleRK

WarEagleRK Forum Resident

Can't wait to see the details on this one.

22. Rob Hughes

Rob Hughes Forum Resident

Yay. Been waiting for this. :)
    And was beginning to doubt we'd see it...

23. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Woah, I never got one of those, and I was in when they opened especially early on release day!

I might have to pop back in and demand one, they'll have a few knocking around still surely!? :eek:

24. agundy

agundy Forum Resident

"Flashbax" is one of their best songs ever!!

Fullbug, Yorick and Rigsby like this.
  25. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

So....are they going to send a signed copy to Tony Blair???

deany76 and Colin Allstations like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.