OASIS "Be Here Now" Remastered 3-CD/4-LP Box Set coming Oct. 7

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YMC4, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paulbright81

paulbright81 Forum Resident

I love this.. Would be great to get the whole album

crossroads69 likes this.
  2. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

I was never really a big fan of the original version, cause it seemed to epitomise all the problems that people associate with the BHN album.

But this remix is great. It makes me realise that with a simple remix (or with the Mustique demos) BHN would actually be a damn good album.

For example I love the strings, they give me a kind of Whatever-sort of vibe.

3. Mr Sam

Mr Sam "...don't look so good no more"

St. Troy likes this.
  4. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

This remix is certainly interesting (as was the Sardy remix of Morning Glory - BHN isn't the only album that would benefit from remixing), but I don't understand how this remix would suddenly make anyone like it if they didn't previously.

5. jsb!

jsb! Forum Resident

No, you're right - it's an interesting alternative, but it's not such a drastic change that it could convert anyone. I should've made clear that, while I have mixed feelings about the album as a whole, I've always thought 'D'You Know What I Mean?' is one of Oasis' finest songs. So I was primed to enjoy an alternative version of it.

YMC4 likes this.
  6. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I didn't have high hopes for the remix but I think it's fantastic. It's a shame the whole album hasn't been done. I think if the album has originally been released sounding like this it would have been received much better.

Hopefully the Mustique demos will lead to a critical reevaluation for the album

7. Having finally heard the remix, it's interesting how much of the string parts I recognise from the original mix, but there are also quite a few bits that seem new. For example, without those layers of mostly guitar noise and various effects, I'm able to better notice the drum loop in places, not to mention those claps on the final chorus that would have actually given the song more of a crowd singalong vibe. Despite once thinking the length of the entire Be Here Now album was its undoing, I'm starting to realise that was never the case. This track is missing something by not opening with the plane flying overhead, which ties in perfectly with its corresponding music video. Also, those final strings just stopping so abruptly doesn't work - the ending worked fine descending into that repeated feedback loop, which still hasn't been edited down. I suspect the reason Noel decided to add so much to this song in the mixing stage before is because there are just too many elements that were already bordering on being Oasis clichés by 1997, such as that acoustic guitar chord progression during the introduction... You all know the one! Also, is it me or have a few drum overdubs been muted as well? Another possible need to push as many background layers up in the mix could have been to hide Liam's previously obscured lead vocal mistake: just what is a "fuel" on a hill? Either he couldn't be bothered to record a second take, or nobody was clear-headed enough to spot this until later. If anything, I'm hoping the Mustique demos live up to their mythical status and really show what could have been with a different, more stripped back arrangement.

Haristar and Carl80 like this.
  8. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Having compared the two mixes, gotta say I massively prefer the original. The remix is interesting and I would certainly buy the album in remixed form, I just think it falls apart in some parts and it really misses the way the drums in particular were originally mixed. The Morning Glory remix was a massive improvement over the original IMO, but this is more an interesting alternative.

Carl80 likes this.
  9. Haristar

Haristar Apollo C. Vermouth

Genuinely didn't realise there were strings on the original version until now.

If anything the 2016 remix has made me appreciate the song a lot more.

FJFP likes this.
  10. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Is there any chance acclaim for this remix could inspire Noel to do the whole album? They did Double Fantasy Stripped, and he idolizes the Beatles. I'm looking forward to the Mustique demos, but they don't have Liam vocals.

Haristar likes this.
  11. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Maybe for the 30th anniversary (2027). I doubt they'll release 2 re-issues of Be Here Now in a short amount of time.

Haristar likes this.
  12. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Awesome, I thought this set would be here never!

Squealy likes this.
  13. Maurice

Maurice Senior Member

For what it's worth, the Japanese edition of the Be Here Now reissue looks like it will have one or two bonus tracks added to the first disc, in keeping with the pattern Sony Japan set with the first two Oasis reissues. No word yet on what they are though, but given the length of the original album I can't imagine they'll be too much room for many additions...

オアシス | Sony Music | ソニーミュージック オフィシャルサイト »

14. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

What were the Japan only tracks for the first two?

15. If there are Japanese extras this time around, hopefully we'll get those 1997 tour rehearsal versions of Be Here Now and It's Getting Better (Man!!) from Air Studios that featured in the BBC documentary, Right Here Right Now, along with that amazing poolside acoustic performance of Stand By Me. Come to think of it, that whole TV special or even the Manchester G-MEX show would have made a fantastic bonus DVD... Alternatively, what about those early mixes of various songs from the album with Noel's original guide vocals that circulate in terrible quality?

Allen Michael likes this.
  16. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Definitely Maybe had an alternate mix of "Shakermaker" (including the Coca Cola verse) and the early studio version of "Bring it on down" from Monnow Valley
    Morning Glory had the demo of "Hello" and "Wonderwall" live at Knebworth Park

Freek999, bobcat and Maurice like this.
  17. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

I think the poolside Stand By Me IS on here. Or is the "Stand By Me - Live at Bonehead's Outtake" something else?

18. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

I just noticed that Brian Cannon @ Microdot posted a new sleeve designed for the new NG remix of D'You Know What I Mean. I wonder if this means it's going to get its own 12" release. Would be cool, as I don't plan on buying the box.

19. The description says it has been 'remastered from the original master tapes' but I would guess the chances of the vinyl being cut from the original tapes is probably close to 0%.

20. I really do hope the outtake of Stand By Me from Bonehead's place is the poolside version, as that would mean those two other tracks recorded at Air Studios and seen in the 1997 BBC documentary might yet appear as bonus content on the Japanese remaster of Be Here Now...

21. Pawnmower

Pawnmower Senior Member

No "Heroes" or "Street Fighting Man"

22. Now that I think about it, those covers of Heroes and Street Fighting Man could end up being the Japanese edition bonus tracks.

23. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

So....what will be on the vinyl version? Only the album on two discs? Or indeed a quadruple set with the bonustracks?

24. crossroads69

crossroads69 Senior Member

How were the Mustique demos recorded? Is it just Noel with an acoustic guitar or more elaborate than that?

25. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Noel on guitar, bass and percussion and Owen Morris programmed a drum machine.

Owen Morris has previously said that he wished they had used Noel's guitar and bass tracks from the demos for the album and added Alan Whites drumming and Boneheads guitar to them along with Liam's vocals. But due to the bouncing down of tracks they were unable to

crossroads69 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.