OASIS "Be Here Now" Remastered 3-CD/4-LP Box Set coming Oct. 7

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YMC4, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

The deluxe box of Dig Out Your Soul is one statement piece. I wish they would treat the reissues like this.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
    Allen Michael likes this.
  2. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

They took out all the power chording electric guitar, that's why you can hear all the other elements more clearly.

PhantomStranger likes this.
  3. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I wish they'd put it out as a normal 33 LP.

4. Todd Fredericks

Todd Fredericks Senior Member

Yes, I agree they should have given that option.

5. Claudio Dirani

Claudio Dirani A Fly On Apple's Wall

A little Going Nowhere b-side trivia:

It's one of Noel's early compositions, that would only be released about seven/eight years later.

6. Nuts and Gum

Nuts and Gum Forum Resident

Apparently Lyla wasn't supposed to be on the album, it was put in at the last minute as they needed a "hit". It was also called "Smiler', but Gem's previous band Heavy Stereo had a song iwth the same name.

The last 10 years of Oasis was very much a watered down version. Musicianship improved, but letting others write songs, whilst probably helping out in the short term, didn't help in the long term - it seemed every band member had to get a song or two on a record, no matter the quality.

As such, Noel had about 20-30 songs stockpiled ready to go as soon as he left Oasis, and it was no surprise that his solo album was the strongest collection of songs a Gallagher had put out since Be Here Now.

grx8, wwright, Will Harris and 6 others like this.
  7. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I agree with all of this 100%.

Nuts and Gum and Humbuster like this.
  8. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing Thread Starter

excellent 1st post & welcome to the forum.
    i totally agree with the 'Come On Outside'...if it was properly arranged with Liam sneer, it would've made a great 1st single with 'Shock of the Lightning' (underrated) following it up.
    i'm afraid we're never going to get it now since Noel morphed it into 'Freaky Teeth' & wasted it as mere bonus track.

2 people that gets under-credit for Oasis resurgence of 2005~2009 in my opinion are Dave Sardy & Zak Starkey.

Sardy gets bum rep. from fan base for some reason but really...it was only after Noel hooked up with Sardy that he got his musical confidence back.
    Noel's musical vocabulary has always been fairly limited (even though he uses it very well), he needs outer input from someone with wider landscape otherwise he'll be even more stale & boring than he already gets criticized for. Sardy did a good job expanding Noel's scope even if the difference seemed minimum at initial glance.
    if nothing else, he should get credit for masking Liam's deteriorating voice & Noel's limitation as vocalist...at least on records.
    'Chasing Yesterday' was great for the most part but Noel's weak vocal was too glaring & where Sardy was missed the most (same thing with both Beady Eye albums).

Starkey on the other hand was just simply the Best drummer Oasis ever had.
    fundamentally sound without being flashy yet versatile enough like his old man...perfect man for the kind of music Oasis did.
    Alan White was fine, that Robbie Williams drummer was serviceable but Zak....inability to lock him up before the DOYS tour (i'm guessing financial reason) was beginning of the end.

Nuts and Gum likes this.
  9. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

My favourite Oasis album!

liammuc likes this.
  10. seventeen

seventeen Forum Resident

The DYKWIM remix is great! Love it! Yes it's my fave Oasis too because it's so effed up.
    I think I'm gonna rip my japanese CD singles and put them together as one album in iTunes while waiting for this great release.

11. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

The last 10 years of Oasis was very much a watered down version. Musicianship improved, but letting others write songs, whilst probably helping out in the short term, didn't help in the long term - it seemed every band member had to get a song or two on a record, no matter the quality.

Bit like McCartney and Wings...................

Nuts and Gum likes this.
  12. Humbuster

Humbuster Staff Emeritus

Some great content in this thread. As a huge Oasis and Noel fan, I am really enjoying this informative and civil thread.
    Well done, mates.

YMC4 likes this.
  13. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Nice surprise today, I see Amazon UK has reduced the price of the 3 CD set to £16.99, worth pre-ordering to guarantee that as a maximum price!

Allen Michael likes this.
  14. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

has the deluxe box appeared on Amazon UK yet?

15. YMC4

it is nice to finally have 'respectable' Oasis thread without someone jumping in & yelling "they suck" in this forum.
    i mean.... i love Radiohead & i respect Damon/Blur as well but why is it necessary to put Oasis down in order to point out how good the others are (or your musical taste) ??
    every artist has their limitation and the fact is... Noel is just not musically ambitious (or capable) as Thom or Damon...at least he doesn't pretend to be.
    i would rather have Noel focusing on what he does best instead of going out of his depth just to prove what he's not.

i guess....perhaps in UK....Oasis were so big in the 90's that one MUST feel the need to correct 'regular Joes' on how musically overrated they might've been at one time but...
    this is not a 'regular Joe' forum and time of Oasis being overrated has LONG past to a point where they're underrated even. anyways, i'm just glad this thread about reissue of an album that is generally known as 'great disaster/failure' are getting so much interest with 3 months still to go for an actual release.

cevans121, 905, paulbright81 and 2 others like this.
  16. anothergreatdivide

anothergreatdivide Active Member

This album (and every album following) is criminally underrated. No, there aren't as many songs on here that you can get whole pubs belting out word for word like Morning Glory or Definitely Maybe but the musicianship here is stellar. Noel provides some of his best solos and Liam is on top form. And as per usual, the B-sides from this era were amazing with Stay Young being better than half the songs on here and that is saying something. I'm looking forward to picking up this re-issue :righton:

"D'You Know What I Mean", "My Big Mouth", "Stand by Me", "The Girl in the Dirty Shirt" and "Fade In-Out" would be my favourite picks.

Ern, FJFP and Haristar like this.
  17. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Agreed, I saw them in Newcastle on the Be Here Now tour in 97 and remember commenting at the time how Noel's guitar playing seemed to be on another level compared to previous times I'd seen them.

18. It did get a separate release as a 45 RPM, 2 LP standalone set.

19. I would add "Songbird" to the list - I love it, such a simple, effective song that doesn't overstay it's welcome and has a sweetness and lightness to it that sticks out in the Oasis catalog.

20. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

So excited love this album. Problem is my ears bleed when I play entire album on my set up...hoping for audio improvement.
    Side note, how can one band have so many great album quality b sides. Along with radiohead they reign king of the leftover tracks.

wwright and FJFP like this.
  21. Matthew

Matthew Senior Member

This album was a major let down. I remember all the hype in the UK, the build up. Video to Do You Know What I Mean? was kinda cool for the time, and super expensive if I recall. The album landed with all its bloat and half baked songs. Surprised it's getting a deluxe edition treatment.

wayneklein likes this.
  22. sinfony

sinfony Forum Resident

It's not really that surprising, almost every album under the sun is getting a deluxe edition these days: It's the latest business model to resell old albums. And this album did sell some 7 million copies after all and is one of the most (in)famous albums of the past 20 years made by a band still very well-known around the world.

23. YMC4

lil' preview snippets of the mustique demo incl. the unreleased outtake 'If We Shadows'.

24. LonesomeDayBlues

LonesomeDayBlues Forum Resident

Thank you. Listening now. This is so damn good.

FJFP likes this.
  25. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

If we shadows sounds great to me, DYNYIM sounds amazing as well with that psychedelic intro.

Got my box set pre ordered from the oasis site.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.