Oasis - Definitely Maybe deluxe reissues announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Jay, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David Jay

David Jay Forum Resident Thread Starter

That's a fair point - Morning Glory got things even louder and more compressed, Champagne Supernova being a good example. You might find this article on the mastering of Definitely Maybe and Morning Glory of interest: http://www.oasis-recordinginfo.co.uk/?page_id=6

There is also this earlier (disputed) account in Sound on Sound, which Owen debunked in the article on my site. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/nov10/articles/25-milestone-productions.htm#Top

2. Szeppelin75

Szeppelin75 Forum Resident

Thanks, i read that article. I guess Morning Glory was the start of the loudness wars in the 90's, a shame, because there are great tracks in there and some (if edited) in Be Here Now.

3. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Seems the cassettes are now shipping.

David Jay likes this.
  4. David Jay

Excellent, looking forward to these. Shame they're not being offered digitally too... going to have to dust down my old cassette deck in readiness :) Actually, I think (just going from memory) most of the demos are on the deluxe edition, bar Bring it on Down.

5. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Perhaps there will be a download card included? Unlikely though.

David Jay likes this.
  6. David Jay

Not sure on this... there's a download code in the deluxe edition of the album itself though (not Live Demonstration) for an mp3 version (no word on the 24/96, so presumably they dropped the idea. Unless - outside chance - it will be made available on Pono. I guess that's a whole other can of worms/thread though...)

7. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

I wrote an email to ignition (Oasis' Management) and asked if a download code is included since 2 songs ("Bring it on down" and unedited "Columbia") won't be on Definitely Maybe Deluxe. They replied and said that there won't be.

8. David Jay

Ah, shame. Thanks for asking though, much appreciated. I had totally forgotten that the version of Columbia on Live Demonstration is slightly longer than the one on the b-side of Supersonic. So, only two tracks need digitising from the cassette then.

9. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

yes, everything else is included with Definitely Maybe Deluxe

10. joe1320

joe1320 Forum Resident

I have the box set on order with amazon uk. But still at 109.00 think I will wait and see if it drops in price . If not then I am out. Hope to pick it up later. Any you guys doing the same?

11. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

Do Oasis have ANY decent sounding versions of their albums?

goodiesguy and paulbright81 like this.
  12. mindgames

mindgames Forum Resident

Hopefully after the re-issue campaign is done.

David Jay and Szeppelin75 like this.
  13. love4another

love4another Forum Resident

But right now, none, not even vinyl?

14. David Jay

If you can find any of the 2009 vinyl reissues at a decent price, I would recommend those. The ones I've heard sounded tonally warmer and a bit less compressed than the CDs, particularly on Be Here Now.

I'm curious how the original Creation vinyl pressings sound though, as I've never heard them. The info for them on the DR database looks quite promising... like on Morning Glory the figures look much better than the CD. Anyone here heard these and could comment? Would be appreciated.

Morning Glory Creation vinyl: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/26892
    Morning Glory CD: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/54588
    Be Here Now Creation vinyl: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/22605
    Be Here Now CD: http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/8465

15. mestreech

mestreech Forum Resident

Yes I'm waiting for it. Glad I kept my cassettedeck

16. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

I like them, although my 2009 WTSMG LP still won't track very well. I thought it was defective for awhile, then just chalked it up to it being too damn loud, even for my AT440.

David Jay likes this.
  17. Joey_Corleone

Joey_Corleone Forum Resident

Oasis is one of those bands that I really liked. Unfortunately, I can't really ever listen to their music without just being infuriated by the sound quality and having my ears hurt. WTSMG is the one exception. It's just that good.

18. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

David Jay and Mike D'Aversa like this.
  19. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

Just a heads up,after spinning the RSD 12" of "Supersonic" I'm not holding out much hope for the sound quality of the DM vinyl....LOUD!....and not in a good way. If the LP sounds like this,there are going to be a lot of bummed out people come May.

It actually sounds distorted,and I don't think it's the pressing either :-(

20. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Worse than the original?

21. stoneknuckle

stoneknuckle Forum Resident

I don't have the original on vinyl,but I am hearing distortion that isn't present on any cd copy I've heard in the past...It's not "Morning Glory" bad,but bad enough. I actually thought momentarily,it was a static issue or a needle problem,but I spun several records just to make sure,and alas it's only the 12"that sounds bad.

22. tightplatonic

tightplatonic Forum Resident

yikes..who did the remastering anyway?

23. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

Ian Cooper

24. David Jay

Damn, that is a real shame... from your description (re it sounding like a static problem) it almost sounds like it might be bad enough to ask for a refund. And I always liked the sound of the original CD single mastering, too; it was less compressed than the album master, which helped. Thanks for posting this info though. Very curious to hear how the remastered album will sound on CD.

25. stagnation

stagnation Forum Resident

Looking at that video it looks like they have gone with the white centre labels on the disc which is a shame as the original (and the last reissue) had the blue/green,

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.