Oasis - Definitely Maybe deluxe reissues announced

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by David Jay, Feb 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This is shaping up to be a real bummer. The signs just ain't looking good at this stage, are they? Hate to be a pessimist, but hmm...

Maybe I should buck up and give things a chance, but stoneknuckle's initial report on his Record Store Day remaster vinyl, added to the recent waveforms David analysed for us, taken together, are surely cause for some concern.

Does anyone else have a playback or some analysis of their Record Store Day copy of the vinyl Supersonic remaster? Personally I couldn't get in to my participating Record Store today until the copies of Supersonic had long sold out, so I'm hoping some of you did (and that you're happier with the remastering than stoneknuckle is). David, did you get a copy?

Just in passing - the general impression of how the vinyl is being pressed and handled in that video is hardly confidence-filling, is it? I wonder what that bit of cardboard or paper is that's being tossed in with the vinyl record as an afterthought? And the fact those centre labels are el-cheapo white instead of the nice aqua blue of the original records sucks more than just a little bit too. :/

I really hope some of us aren't about to drop a hundred quid on a box of loud frisbees and coasters...

2. dunkrag

dunkrag Forum Resident

I'm playing the Supersonic 12'' now...

It's loud - but can't hear distortion.

3. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I don't think I'd ever use "warm" and "Be Here Now" in the same sentence, but I guess it does sound better than the CD...which of course isn't saying much.

I have the original Creation vinyl of the first two albums, and they're fine. The sound isn't great and it never will be, but it's ok enough and I think the bonus song on each album is essential. I'd recommend the original vinyl over the 2009 simply because the cover art is so poorly reproduced on the 2009 versions.

OneStepBeyond likes this.
  4. OneStepBeyond

OneStepBeyond Senior Member

After hearing Be Here Now (the first album I bought of theirs) followed by their first two releases and more recently Heathen Chemistry- I believe it's not just the mastering (atrocious that it is) that is the problem on many of the BHN tracks. My ears are very honest with me and if I can't stomach the poor mixing on something as what happened to some great tracks on there, then that's just shameful- isn't it?

I apologise, as I know I'm not the first to say this but I really could get heavily into this band if the music sounded as good as it COULD or SHOULD. I was close on throwing the CD away and giving up on Oasis altogether as I like to play an album from start to finish and not have to select the tracks that are still 'listenable'. Good thing that I don't give up too easily; I am enjoying their music a lot now. :D

Hearing some of the various safety copy mixes on You Tube reinforces my opinion that it's often the mixes that make these tracks sound pitiful IMO. And I've heard needle drops that are a little better, yes. Only because of the mastering. :thumbsup:

I would hope to be able to hear the drums and bass properly on D'You Know What I mean- and others; not just mush. One day, maybe..? :sigh:

5. schorman

schorman Forum Resident

I concur, I don't hear any distortion or static. It sounds great loud! Much more pleasing to the ear than the old CD single. I'm playing on a Sony PS-X60 with an AT440MLa. I'll have to compare with the original 7" later. I can say that I have had tracking issues with the Time Flies vinyl and some of the 2009 reissues that I simply have not seen on this. It actually sounds more open and less harsh than the 2009s. I'm still optimistic about DM.

Edit: It's definitely cut louder than the original 7" and is slightly less dynamic, which is not saying much. The chorus seems to get louder on the 7" version, but the remaster is more compressed. That being said, the bass is much clearer/cleaner sounding and cymbals don't sound as mushy on the remaster. Overall, I would give a slight edge to the remaster, but I do think it was cut a bit louder than would be preferable.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
    JasonH and dirtymac like this.
  6. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Bought the Supersonic single, looks and sounds great to me.

Craig Williams, JasonH and schorman like this.
  7. DownInAHole

DownInAHole Forum Resident

Maybe a dumb question but if a person is just interested in the music everything is on the much cheaper three disc version, right? I would like the "super deluxe" version but it looks like it would cost me around $175.00 (Canadian) and the content doesn't appear to be worth it.

8. I wonder how much louder and less dynamic Oasis releases can possibly get. It seems so unnecessary. This music is surely good enough to hold up without all this.

That is some consolation I guess. If it sounds a bit better, then so be it. I just wish we didn't have to wait another decade or two for some nice flat transfers.

Cheers for your analysis.

9. JasonH

JasonH Forum Resident

Picked up the supersonic 12 inch, sounds massive like it should! Definitely some more bass.

Definite improvement in my opinion to the original cd.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  10. Yeah, definitely. Only buy the Super Deluxe if you're into vinyl as well.

11. schorman

schorman Forum Resident

Well, if all you care about is the music, you can get the 3CD and Vinyl sets for about $65 total.

12. JasonH

JasonH Forum Resident

The deluxe vinyl comes with with a download card for everything in the 3 cd set.

13. Good point. I guess if you buy the Super Deluxe you have a box to hold it all together in, up on your shelf.

I'm slowly moving from denial about the **** remastering to bargaining with myself.

14. DownInAHole

I was leaning towards the "super deluxe" version with all of the bells and whistles but it's just too much for too little. Maybe if there was also a DVD with live performances? With the recent news that Prince is (finally!) reissuing his catalogue I need to set aside some cash for that and this set is one of the casualties.

Glad to hear that the vinyl is available separately for those who want it.

15. You know I'm SO close to cancelling this super deluxe son of a bitch. I've had all these tunes for a couple of decades, and if they're only going to sound pretty much the same...

16. DownInAHole

Do it! What are you going to do with a tote bag and a bunch of 8 x 10's?

17. You're so ****in' right and I hate it that you are. ;(

18. DownInAHole

Erm, sorry?

If you're a massive Oasis fan you should probably just grit your teeth and go ahead and buy it. As expensive as it is you'll probably regret not buying it. If you're not a massive fan go with the (much) cheaper option.

19. schorman

schorman Forum Resident

I'm still getting the Super Deluxe, but I really do think they're charging between $50 and $75 too much.

20. David Jay

David Jay Forum Resident Thread Starter

@darrenbailey I haven't heard the Supersonic remaster yet, so the feedback from schorman and others here is very much appreciated. I did, however, get to see the Chasing the Sun exhibition at the NewcastleLondon project space earlier today. Great fun to look round. The place was packed too! I think most of the exhibits have been widely photographed already (huge thanks to everyone who has shared their pics), but I did take a couple of photos of some Definitely Maybe-related artefacts that I hadn't seen before, which may be of interest here. Will post them later...only just got back.

darrenbailey and Jason W like this.
  21. David Jay

David Jay Forum Resident Thread Starter

Just tweeted these pics that I took earlier today (I'm on twitter here: https://twitter.com/DavidHugginsORI ), but thought I'd post them in this thread too in case anyone's interested. These are the tracking sheets for...

Live Forever, recorded at Sawmills Studio (between 24 February – 4 March 1994). Tracks 9 and 10 contain "new falsettos", which would be the later overdub of the high part by Owen Morris...where he and Marcus Russell re-recorded the falsetto for the album version.

Owen Morris: ‘The only thing I remember of interest about [Live Forever] was that officially that high bit wasn’t either Noel or Liam – it was actually me and Marcus [Russell, Oasis's manager]. One for the trainspotters there. The Welsh choir came in.’ (from an Easter Egg on the Definitely Maybe DVD)
    [​IMG]

And Slide Away, which was recorded with Dave Batchelor at Monnow Valley Studio (between 8-23 January 1994) with additional overdubs by Noel in March 1994 (this would have been at Eden Studios, where they intially mixed the album). Interesting to note the number of tracks re-recorded by Noel! Including the bass. Would love to see some more of these recording studio documents...

[​IMG]

goodiesguy, 905, darrenbailey and 2 others like this.
  22. schorman

schorman Forum Resident

Wow, great post. I wish I could make it to the exhibition.

Yorick likes this.
  23. Amnesiac

Amnesiac Forum Resident

Hey guys, I uploaded a vinyl rip of the complete Supersonic single. First taste of what the remasters will sound like. It's probably blocked in some countries. Watch in 1080p if you can.

Here it is:

24. Jason W

Jason W Forum Resident

I quite enjoyed the new release today. I'll A-B it with other copies later.

25. That actually sounds really, REALLY good. I'm bummed that I missed out on a copy, now. Cheers for the upload effort.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.