"Oblivion" (2013 motion picture)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SBurke, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie Thread Starter

Opens tonight here in Philly. I'm thinking of seeing it this weekend. Reviews are mixed but there's strong praise for the visuals, and the previews and ads I've seen look good.

Anyone else interested?

http://www.oblivionmovie.com/

2. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Just got back from seeing this and I thought it was really good!

It does have elements from other sci-fi movies such as The Planet Of The Apes, Independence Day, 2001: A Space Odyssey, and a couple others. Over all, though, it was an original take on a familiar theme used in many sci-fi movies.

Besides Tom Cruise, Morgan Freeman co-stars along with two female actresses. For those who watch Game Of Thrones, the actor who plays Jaime Lannister (The Kingslayer) also co-stars.

Though, if you have trouble following plots of these types of sci-fi movies, you may not like the movie. One of the persons I saw the movie with really didn't understand what was going on and I had to explain it to her after the movie (She particularly doesn't like sci-fi.) IMO, I thought it was easily followed and not confusing at all. Matter of fact, I was able to predict almost everything in the movie before they happened.

I give the movie a solid B with the special effects getting an A.

SBurke likes this.
  3. SBurke

SBurke Nostalgia Junkie Thread Starter

Good enough review for me, thanks neo. :cheers:

4. Looks interesting if not earth shattering.

5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

it's getting a mixed reaction from critics and fans over at RT

6. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Another critic mentioned Wall-E, which I thought was an inspired comparison.

That to me is not a good thing.

7. neo123

neo123 Senior Member

Not so much of a prediction, but a feeling. Surprising things are revealed throughout but I had a hunch what they were before actually being revealed.

8. vinyl_puppy

vinyl_puppy Der Weaselschnitzel

^^Yes. I had ideas about what was to transpire based on plot points from other sci-fi stories and the minor clues given. Not a major plot spoiler, but some may enjoy the Tom Cruise character's music choices. Liked the visuals, as i found them beautiful, especially wide and long shots. Enjoyed it though. Because of the visual eye candy, this could be Blu-ray demo material.

9. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

It seems to have a little Omega Man in it too. I'll try and catch this one on the big screen.

10. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

The NY Times review in today's paper was very critical of the movie.

11. progrocker71

progrocker71 Forum Resident

The LA Weekly and Hollywood Reporter had similar viewpoints, that it's an excellent film in the beginning that eventually has to start pushing the "action buttons" in the second half to justify the budgetary expenditure. But they were both still mostly positive reviews.

It's one of the only upcoming sci-fi movies that I'm really interested in seeing so I'm sure I'll try and go see a matinee on Sunday.

12. PH416156

PH416156 Alea Iacta Est

Strangely, it's been out since last week, here. I thought the the script was really good except for a (imho) major plot hole...we'll compare opinions when most of you see the movie; won't spoil anything at this point except that it has a nice scene for vinyl lovers:)

oh, and yes there's a scene that looks "inspired" by a similar one in "independence day"

13. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

I've seen one reviewer label it as a future cult classic because it was so classically bad. I'll wait for the Blu ray -or HBO. Love me some sci-fi!

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I'll eventually see it. . . for Olga.

15. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

Looks good, think I will go see it. Most Sci-fi type stuff seems to be mostly big budget action movies for kids anymore, this seems to be a bit more on the "Ideas" side of things.

16. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Looks as if Tom has "ideas."

[​IMG]

17. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

From the reviews I read it does appear to 'borrow' a lot of ideas from films already mentioned and also 'Moon'.

As it appears it not so original and kind of predictable this will be a DVD rental. Shame as we were tempted to stump up for cinema tickets for that one.

18. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Olga does well in it, and I thought Andrea Risenborough stood out as she was new to me. Hope to see more of her.

19. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

These kind of movies are best seen on a large screen. Love space sci-fi adventures even if they are not perfect (like Prometheus).

aussievinyl likes this.
  20. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Indeed and it it only cost $10 to go see then we would. Unfortunately, it would be the best part of $30+. It has to be a really good film to pay that.

21. mbrennem

mbrennem Active Member

In this case, a film in a genre I like but with mixed reviews, I would normally just read Roger Ebert's review and would know whether or not it is worth seeing in the theater. I didn't always agree with Roger's ratings but somehow I could almost always read his review and determine if the movie would work for me. Really sad that I can't do that anymore... :(

jriems and tcj like this.
  22. LivingForever

LivingForever Forum Arachibutyrophobic

Just got back from seeing this and enjoyed it more than I thought, not normally being a fan of Tom Cruise.

The plot I thought was interesting and just thoughtful enough without being confusing, and it was visually spectacular.

Definitely one to see on the big screen though, in fact I went to the IMAX screen and saw it there.

Being a massive M83 fan also helped, the moment where the credits rolled and the big song started was a huge goosebump moment!

23. Sgt. Pepper

Sgt. Pepper Member

Tickets are that expensive in the UK?:eek: Here you can catch a matinee for $5.50 a person.

24. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's pretty silly. Tastes vary, but no way is this Battlefield Earth or Zardoz.

25. Slick Willie

Slick Willie Decisively Indecisive

May be, may not be, I have not seen it, so i have no opinion. I hope that reviewer is wrong. have you seen it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.