"Oblivion" (2013 motion picture)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by SBurke, Apr 19, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bought the Blu Ray awhile back and finally got around to watching it last night.

I had fairly low expectations going in after reading many negative comments, but it wasn't as bad as I was led to believe. Great visual style and imagery, good sound track and sound effects, and a decent story. They lost me at the end (minor spoiler: why were they let in?).

Final verdict: A decent popcorn flick.

2. kevintomb

kevintomb Forum Resident

I was left wanting to see MORE of that modern post apocalypse world, the stuff where he went underground and in the old skyscrapers and all. Kinda reminded me a bit of True Sci-fi, and not just noise and action for the sake of noise.

3. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not enough monsters with nashing teeth :)

4. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Just finished watching this... it was quite different than what I was expecting, but I really liked it! :thumbsup: Thought it was one of the better sci-fi movies of recent years, along with Moon and Cargo. As many people have already mentioned, the entire film is a "spot-the-influences" collection of references to classic sci-fi films, but that didn't affect my enjoyment whatsoever. :)

One question: Why did the TET want Julia returned to them? Unless I missed something important, it seemed like a rather pointless request. Considering that Jack's delivery of the lifepod into the TET ship is what ended up being their undoing, it just seemed like an unnecessary plot device.

5. daglesj

daglesj Forum Resident

Saw it a couple of weeks ago.

Looked great, Cruise was...Cruise. Many things you could see a mile off, but one or two little swerves here and there.

The main issue I had was the devastation was more 6000+ years than 60. However, I think that was deliberate to throw the audience.

Oh and a Zeppelin tune too! Must have taken some negotiation.

6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Not parting with my steel book in a hurry that's for sure.

7. Maggie

Maggie like a walking, talking art show

Hang on a sec, when you say Cargo, do you mean the zombie-themed short subject? That's an amazing little film.

8. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Nope, I was referring to this one:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0381940

9. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

When we were in L.A. last April, they were having the premiere just outside our hotel at the Dolby Theater and here are a few photos that I took (sorry for the crappy images, blame Apple and their #$%damned iPhone!)

(By the way, the fourth photo is of Gene Simmons and his wife)

Oblivion 1.jpg Oblivion 2.jpg Oblivion 3.jpg Oblivion 4.jpg

alexpop likes this.
  10. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Very late to this thread. I had "Oblivion" on DVR for awhile and finally watched it last night. I had low expectations and was very impressed by it. I enjoyed the pace, the very few characters and the chance to make you care about them, the ending and the score. I have played the end credits about a half of dozen times this morning just so I can hear that song over and over. I'm thinking about buying the soundtrack which I have not done for a movie in a long time.

progrocker71 and xdawg like this.
  11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I'm later than late here. I was told it was lousy but I borrowed it from the local library and despite a few flaws, I thoroughly enjoyed it (more than "Elysium" or "Interstellar for example).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.