Obscure & Neglected Female Singers Of Jazz & Standards (1930s to 1960s)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ridin'High, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Richard--W

Richard--W Forum Resident

What a terrific thread this continues to be.

t_d, thanks for your reviews and for making shopping simple.

I just bought
    Shirely Bassey -- Let's Face the Music + Born to Sing the Blues.
    Audrey Morris -- Film Noir. coming from The Nederlands where it was half the price of other listings.
    Audrey Morris -- The Voice of w/ Bistro Ballads
    Lee Wiley -- Night In Manhattan 2CD

Shirley Bassey's vocal on Diamonds Are Forever transcends the context of the Bond films; it's my favorite song by her.

ggjjr and toilet_doctor like this.
  2. toilet_doctor

toilet_doctor "Rockin' chair's got me"

[​IMG]

Just bought 1999 Audiophile album from rarewave-usa through amazon for $12.67+3.99 - couldn't find a better deal.

Review:
    "This is one super singer who made another fine album.
    Audrey Morris is a unique, honest singer who understands and communicates lyrics in a voice that conjures up a smoke-filled cocktail lounge in the wee small hours of the morning. This tribute to some of the great singer/pianist songwriters is one which you will return to many, many times. Several of the songs will be new to the average listener, but it won't take long for Audrey to make you feel like each one should be a major standard. When she sings of "Blues for Breakfast," you know just what that state is like. She makes "When October Comes," a trunk lyric by Johnny Mercer set musically by Barry Manilow, into a first rate expression of longing. Each track is a gem unto itself. If you love jazz/pop vocalizing, you will surely love this album. By the way, you should pledge to yourself that you will buy any album by Audrey Morris that you can find
    ." (amazon)

I could find this on eBay like new for $6.99+2:

[​IMG]

Maybe Mosaic will do the complete box now...

Nice photo
    [​IMG]
    with Billie Holiday

Last edited: Apr 7, 2018
  3. Richard--W

Let me see how I feel about the Audrey Morris albums that are incoming before I go looking for the others you mention.

I wish Clydie King had recorded some solo albums. She had a real set of pipes and a smokey reality that came from many years singing in nightclubs. Did a lot of backup recording for Ray Charles and Phil Spector. I've seen and heard her play with Dylan in the past, and they reportedly collaborated on an album that remains unreleased. Her rendition of "The Long Goodbye," written for the 1973 film, is memorable. The song is legit apart from the film, and of the many versions played as a joke over the soundtrack, Clydie's steals the show. The OST also includes an impromptu by her during a rehearsal that's worth the price of the disc.

[​IMG]

Actually I just looked her up: she did record a few solo albums. Hmmm.

4. Richard--W

I'm enjoying Audrey's Bistro Ballads, but why does the CD start 1 minute and 22 seconds into the first track when I push play?

5. toilet_doctor

I just tried my copy - everything perfectly normal - "warm wine" as Sylvia Syms said. Try it in another player - if it's the same result, think about the return.

6. Eric Carlson

Eric Carlson Forum Resident

I know Kay Starr has her own thread, but it has unfortunately become dormant. I pulled her album Portrait of a Starr out of a box of thrift finds that I hadn't listened to for some reason. By the time the second cut was playing I realized I had completely underestimated her. This LP is apparently a 1966 budget and abridged version of her 1956 LP Swingin' With The Starr. That is apparently a compilation of sides recorded in 1945 and 1946 after she left Charlie Barnet's band.

On the second cut I exclaimed to myself, "That sounds like Joe Venuti!" It is. Besides his violin there's also really nice guitar, piano, clarinet, trumpet, bass, and drums. The band(s) accompanying her are stellar and she is terrific out front on a whole set of standards.

If these are obscure nowadays, they shouldn't be. Really good.

Here are links to all ten cuts included on my budget LP. Looks like there are six more on the original version.

Sweet Lorraine
    There's A Lull In My Life
    I Cried For You
    After You've Gone
    I'm Confessin'
    Stormy Weather
    Sunday
    Baby Won't You Please Come Home
    Honeysuckle Rose
    St. Louis Blues

Last edited: Apr 12, 2018
  7. toilet_doctor

Of course you underestimated her. She is #4 in my Top 10:

Billie Holiday
    Dinah Washington
    Jo Stafford
    Kay Starr
    Mildred Bailey
    Peggy Lee
    Julie London
    Rosemary Clooney
    Brenda Lee
    Chris Connor

We can talk about her at our corresponding thread From Anita & Ella:
    From Anita & Ella To Nina & Sassy: Celebrated Songstresses Of Jazz & Standards

By the way, please give us your Top 10 list - it is a fun to think about...

Richard--W likes this.
  8. Eric Carlson

I'm going to have to think about that. There are so many I haven't heard. Sometimes I like a singer on one album or one period during her career and not others. It won't be static although maybe half would be. Let me give that some thought.

toilet_doctor likes this.
  9. Richard--W

I must be halfway through, and I'm loving Shirley Bassey. My goodness the quality of this recording could not be bettered today. The clarity caresses and sparkles. Shirley's voice has bottom. Real bottom. Whatever she reaches for, she surpasses without half-trying. Riddle's arrangement's are cinematic melodrama, and precisely right for Shirley's voice.

Find me another Shirley Bassey CD as good as this one, t_d.

10. AL33

AL33 Active Member

Hello Everyone.. I was hoping one of yous guys may be familiar with these lyrics. I'm pretty certain its from an obscure Singer from the late 20's - 30's. Here Goes : "MAdame Curie She was free, Dabbled a bit in Chemistry. When Love affair would start to hum, cyanide potassium." They go on to talk about Marie Antoinette ( Dabbled a bit in politics ). Its a female singer, this may be from the Late 20's But I could be wrong. She had a cute 20s style voice. I may have butchered the few lyrics I do know. but It really was a nice song, and Its been a year of looking and no one seems to know it. Hoping someone may recognize the song.. Thank yous .

11. toilet_doctor

I know this is not what you are looking for, but it can bring you a few moments of fun anyway:
    (off topic)
    Madam Curie

(from the theatrical and spicy band Army Of Lovers)
    Army Of Lovers - The Ballad of Marie Curie [Lyrics]

AL33 likes this.
  12. AL33

AL33 Active Member

Thank you... I know it was not what I was looking for.. however it was pretty awesome! Thank you! :)

13. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Thank you for the recommendation!
    I picked up the 2-fer, but have mostly been listening to Night in Manhattan (1-12) this week. Lee certainly has a way with a song. Bobby Hacketts' playing is a great accompaniment as well. That said, Why, Oh Why? came up on shuffle and floored me. Looking forward to the back-half of this excellent release.

toilet_doctor and Tribute like this.
  14. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Have our encyclopedists on this thread tackled Maxine Sullivan yet? She deserves more attention. She was great in her late years, and very prolific in the studio.

I got really embarrassed by posting this photo from a magazine that captioned it as Sarah Vaughan, though I thought it wasn't. Oh well, but now we should make amends to Maxine

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. peopleareleaving

peopleareleaving Forum Resident

Excellent. Just found a used CD copy on the innerwebs. Thanks for the rec-

Eric Carlson likes this.
  16. toilet_doctor

I will, but not Shirley Bassey, thou.

I'd recommend to visit our corresponding thread - "Thread 33":
    From Anita & Ella To Nina & Sassy: Celebrated Songstresses Of Jazz & Standards
    I posted some info about new releases and some rare Collectors' items that now can disappear in a thin air (Post 51). Who asked about ballad albums, you better be hurry.

17. Eric Carlson

I agree fully on that. I have two of her three late career tribute albums The Great Songs From The Cotton Club By Harold Arlen And Ted Koehler and Together Maxine Sullivan Sings The Music Of Jule Styne. The second was from her final studio sessions in 1986 and 1987 shortly before her death. I don't have the tribute she did to Burton Lane.

Maxine Sullivan played a big and special part in my first really listening to these singers and songs. It's been a long time since I've pulled these two albums out but I've got them ready to go now first thing tomorrow morning.

[​IMG]

Also worth noting is her 1957 album A Tribute to Andy Razaf - Music by Fats Waller and others shown above which was remastered by our host Steve Hoffman in 1991 for DCC Compact Classics from newly discovered Everest Records master tapes.

@toilet_doctor mentioned over in the From Anita & Ella To Nina & Sassy: Celebrated Songstresses Of Jazz & Standards thread that Will Friedwald placed this album at #26 in his new book The Great Jazz and Pop Vocal Albums. I was lucky enough find a copy for less than $1, but it's still available quite inexpensively. Whether other CD issues sound better or worse I can't say, but I do enjoy her singing and the music quite a lot.

I especially like her fun swinger called Massachusetts, but the entire album is a delight.

Here are links to the rest of the album:

Keepin' Out Of Mischief Now
    Massachusetts
    How Can You Face Me
    S'posin'
    My Fate Is In Your Hands
    Stompin' At The Savoy
    Honeysuckle Rose
    Memories Of You
    Ain't Misbehavin'
    Mound Bayou
    Christopher Columbus
    Blue Turning Grey Over You

Enjoy!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2018
    Jazzmonkie, Tribute and toilet_doctor like this.
  18. toilet_doctor

As already mentioned, we have one single place where we can talk about the other 33 singers excluded from this thread.
    I posted a list of Great Jazz and Pop Albums (female part) by Will Friedwald (post 49).
    And here is the number 26 in the list:
    Position 26. Maxine Sullivan, Memories of You: A Tribute to Andy Razaf

Thank you, Eric, for your very nice and informative post covering this album (see previous post).
    I just want to add some more info about CDs.
    I was right when I bought in 2007 4CD box set It's Wonderful by PD label Proper Records for about $17.
    Because Proper took this project very seriously hiring the right people:
    [​IMG]

Very sturdy heavy cardboard box, 4 factory pressed discs in nicely designed Mini LP style covers and 32-page booklet printed on a toned paper with rare photos.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. toilet_doctor

20. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maxine was, in my opinion, like Sarah Vaughan and Carol Sloan - getting better with time.
    Disc 3 and 4 are highlights of this set, as she moved away from her jazz rendition of folk songs. (Her big hit Loch Lomond inspired her and her producer to do more in this style, but I didn't grow up enough to enjoy them - sorry about that).
    However, everything became alright, when she took on the great standards with her gentle and touching approach, inspired by Mildred Bailey.

Another album (she had only two LPs in 50's) Leonard Feather Presents Maxine Sullivan 1956 is on CD 3:
    "One of the truly great vocalists of the swing era, Maxine Sullivan (along with her husband - the great bandleader John Kirby), had the unique distinction of being the first Black Jazz stars to have their own weekly radio show. Maxine's first recording session in 1937 produced her biggest hit - "Loch Lomond," a jazz interpretation of a Scottish folk song that remained her signature tune throughout her five decade long career. This legendary 1956 session marked a return to recording for Maxine after a long absence from the studio, and found her in the company of jazz trumpeter Charlie Shavers and the John Kirby band. Additional musicians include Buster Bailey (clarinet) Russell Procope (alto sax) Billy Kyle (piano) Aaron Bell (bass) and Specs Powell (drums)".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. toilet_doctor

22. toilet_doctor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Maxine Sullivan - Plenty to Enjoy

When Your Lover Has Gone - my favorite:

She was very good right from the start:
    Maxine Sullivan - Blue Skies
    Maxine Sullivan - Night and Day (1938)
    and even better with time:
    I Must Have That Man Maxine Sullivan
    Come Rain or Come Shine - Maxine Sullivan
    Every Time We Say Goodbye
    Ev'ry Time We Say Goodbye Maxine Sullivan & The Teddy Wilson Orchestra
    Summertime
    Maxine Sullivan - Summertime
    This Heart of Mine
    Maxine Sullivan - This Heart Of Mine (1948)
    I Must Have That Man
    I Must Have That Man Maxine Sullivan

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    Tribute likes this.
  23. toilet_doctor

This box has disappeared, as it was never released at all...
    but if someone wants the album "Memory of You", I'd recommend Collectibles 2008 CD on amazon for $4.98:

[​IMG]

"Jack Teagarden is a giant of classic jazz. In addition to his swinging trombone, he was among the best of the early jazz singers. He is joined by the elegant voice of Maxine Sullivan. This collection of their best includes the standards Aint Misbehavin, Stompin At The Savoy and Loch Lomond."
    https://www.amazon.com/Memories-You-Teagarden/dp/B00195I3FO/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1524524463&sr=1-1&keywords=Jack+Teagarden%2FMaxine+Sullivan+Memories+of+You+Collectibles

[​IMG]
    Rare vintage photo of Maxine Sullivan.

P.S.
    I'm not familiar with her later output and Baldwin releases.
    I wish Ridin'High would come across her discography.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
  24. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

I have a Charlie Parker cd set by these folks at Proper which is ok but nothing special. Though a lot of the Parker material is not greatly recorded.
    Do you find these people generally are outstanding with singers collections?
    I am only talking about sound quality here.

25. Tribute

Tribute Senior Member

Maxine did a great series of albums in Sweden. Here are some of them. Though I have all five, these are web images (as I am not so good at making my own)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]