obscure Roger Waters soundtrack (Monsieur Rene Magritte) from 1978 -- who's on this?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rooster_Ties, Aug 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rooster_Ties

Rooster_Ties Senior Member Thread Starter

One of the more obscure Pink Floyd things I've ever run across, but low and behold, there it is on Youtube...

Monsieur Rene Magritte (Adrian Maben, 1978) (link goes to the beginning of this 50-minute documentary on artist Rene Magritte)

Roger's name is in the credits and everything.

Haven't listened to the whole thing, but here's one little (tiny, really) clip that sounds like Waters, HERE. Sounds like Snowy White to me, if I had to venture a wild guess. And HERE's an even shorter clip, that's mostly obscured by clouds dialogue.

Can anybody find any other significant cues worth linking to?

2. Rooster_Ties

BUMP, for perhaps the most obscure thread I've ever started here!!

3. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

I have never heard about this. Very obscure indeed. David Gilmour also made a soundtrack to some science documentary about 10 years ago.

4. Rooster_Ties

So, anybody know anything more about this?

5. amonjamesduul

amonjamesduul Forum Resident

This appeared on a pink floyd vinyl bootleg called Wavelengths many years ago,the quiet electronic parts at least..The reason it was tied to pink floyd was that Adrian maben directed Pink floyd at pompei.From what I have always read the floyd had no involvement with this in any way.This is the first time I heard Waters name attached to it.

6. Rooster_Ties

Still sounds like Snowy White on guitar to me. Any other opinions? Or if it isn't him, who the heck could it have been??

7. Andersoncouncil

Andersoncouncil Forum Resident

You're right---it does sound like Snowy White. I have these recordings on that massive ROIO Treeful of Secrets. I don't want to break forum rules by providing links, but you can seek out info about this---although there is not much info on the performers.

8. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Those guitar parts aren't Pink Floyd related at all. The guitarist is Ernie Isley, and it's the intro to Voyage To Atlantis from the Isley Brother's Go For Your Guns LP (1977). Not sure how that made it into the documentary, uncredited at that, but there you go!

Andersoncouncil likes this.
  9. TheLazenby

TheLazenby Forum Resident In Memoriam

You're a bit confused.... side 2 of "Wavelength" was Adrian Maben performing on a television show.

"Magritte" is Roger Waters, no doubt about it. Roger, Dave and Nick have done PLENTY of obscure scores. Check out the boot 'A Tree Full Of Secrets' for a bunch of 'em (save Nick's "Tank Malling" score).

10. Sparkler

Sparkler Senior Member

Interestingly, the Isley Bros. tune also shows up on the Magritte tracks on "A Treeful Of Secrets" as it's mostly just a dump of the audio track from the documentary. As best as I can tell the only actual Gilmour guitar on Magritte is from Obscured By Clouds, as that studio title track is also used in the film and on the boot.

11. mando_dan

mando_dan Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.